The Mod Community wishes, suggestions and opinons

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: The Mod Community wishes, suggestions and opinons

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

bebro wrote:Not sure if the devs still look here, but if they do, and intend to add modding possibilities (maybe with Sov Corps):

We can enter a maxstrength value in the eqp file, which is good. But this does not affect overstrength.

IMO it would be great if there was a second column that allows to specify overstrength numbers. So you could say unit type X can -regardless of maxstr. specified - have either no OV at all (0), or some other value entered. Not sure if values above 5 should be allowed. However, it would be cool to have this in the eqp file to get separate values per unit type. For example, you could limit OV for rare units, or for commando type units only, but have the rest go with the standard max of 5 (when OV column empty).
To some extent that already exists.
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (109.05 KiB) Viewed 15575 times
However, I would like this feature as well in the above detail, rather than a simple box.

(The scenario behind the param box is one of my new Mongol maps, go and check the mod out: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50965. I also stole your idea to make people look at a single alpha screen and guess the mod)

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
BiteNibbleChomp

Although this will be useless to almost everyone, I would like an extra piece of text to be added in the code so that if you set a negative year in the editor, it will display the year (without the negative) and then BC on the end. This will allow me to make a Roman, Ancient Greek, Persian, Babylonian and 50 other mods!

- BNC
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:This will allow me to make a Roman, Ancient Greek, Persian, Babylonian and 50 other mods!
More BiteNibbleChomp mods is a good thing, so here is a historically valid and reasonably simple fix, based on the principle that
When in Rome, do as the Romans do:
The Roman calendar was based on the founding of Rome, so 1/1/1 is the first official day of Rome. Everything after that then has a positive date and the negative date problem goes away.

For other empires, states etc use their date system where known. Otherwise pick an arbitrary founding date for a city a state or a specific person. This will work just as well for fantasy settings - eg Middle Earth starting at whichever of the FIrst, Second, Third or Fourth ages suits you.
Ason
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Ason »

If I understand it correctly, these are suggestions for the "may-be-made" PC2 game.

If the scenarios will be as big as in the vanilla campaigns, I would like to suggest (as I wrote in another thread) more focus on supply lines and the ability/need to encircle enemy units. As I'm sure most of us know, most of the progress on the eastern front was made by encircling the enemy. I think it's a rather important thing to add to a ww2 game like this. If the scenarios will be as small (smaller real world area) as in the grand campaigns however, I understand there is no real need to encircle anyone..

I think the need to encircle units would add alot to the game as it would not just be a head-on crash with the enemy/counting-hex-game.
I don't really know how to put it but I feel like some of the ww2 strategic feeling disappears at the moment. Basically I'm so focused on just beating the scenario in time that I almost forget to enjoy the strategic decisions and the development of the battles.

So basically instead of just a race against the clock, the player would have to make more strategic decisions and not worry too much about making it in time.

(Btw I see nothing about PC2 in this thread but as Razz1 locked the other thread and directed traffic here I guess it's the right place)
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=54415
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Ason wrote: I understand there is no real need to encircle anyone
On a tactical scale, encirclement has several merits. Even when incomplete, it stifles resupply, it can restrict movement (both as a voluntary move and for managing retreat directions), and full encirclement it can be used to force surrender. Surrender prestige is nice (I've had games where it has been essential to keep units combat ready), but surrender can also be used as a combat tactic to get rid powerful units. Apply heaps of suppression and Hey presto - No IS2!

More strategically, under 1.14 rules (before AA became more powerful), I would sometimes focus on eliminating enemy airfields using fast recon - as a means of gaining air superiority.

The supply restrictions I have come across - terrain (desert), weather (snow and sandstorm) and zones (in one of BiteNIbbleChomp's WW1 scenarios) - work pretty well. Since you can change weather, terrain and zone supply rules through scripting there should be no major barriers to making scenarios involving control of key supply lines or centres. However, I'm still learning modding and scenario writing skills so can't comment on how much work it is to make it run smoothly.
Royishungry
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Royishungry »

Anyone got a working link for the " real historical b&w photos" MOD. Please be a good soul and re-upload for the community! REALLY NEED THIS MOD!!!
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

The PHCAS mod has a lot of original images for big units and with messages. But if you're looking for icons based on actual images, that wouldn't be too difficult to arrange, though you might need some patience.

I currently use two unit icons based on photos of models - one was positioned at the same angle as the standard Panzer Corps icons, and the other is close but not quite right. Models are relatively easy if on a contrasting background which can be deleted using Paint.net (and are a pain if the background is quite similar colour to the model, which needs some work deleting the background a few pixels at a time). After that it's a matter of resizing and repositioning the icons.

I'm trying this out on an original photo of an FCM now, and it looks like it will work OK, though I haven't yet seen how it looks on the screen as I've not yet finished stripping away the background. My graphics skills are currently limited to a bit of cutting and pasting, but I'm no expert - most of the usable results own more to patience and persistence than to talent!

EDIT:
Just after positing this, I noticed your reference to the post by Evgeny81 in December 2011.
http://depositfiles.com/files/11f130ksr
The link was there just now, though as I only just spotted it, I can't verify it works.
Royishungry

Post by Royishungry »

Yep I was looking for a massive file of big unit photos. That link you suggested is down. Do you guys know of any others? REALLY want some more big unit photos; makes the game more immersive for me.
truth80
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by truth80 »

Hello! I would like to ask when will the Custom Single Player Campaigns and Scenarios (New Sticky) topic be updated? It seems there are many newly published campaigns and it would be very useful to have a full overview (I don´t want to miss important battles :twisted: )

Should only the authors publish their own scenarios or can anyone do this?
BiteNibbleChomp

truth80 wrote:Hello! I would like to ask when will the Custom Single Player Campaigns and Scenarios (New Sticky) topic be updated? It seems there are many newly published campaigns and it would be very useful to have a full overview (I don´t want to miss important battles :twisted: )

Should only the authors publish their own scenarios or can anyone do this?
For a campaign to be uploaded to that thread the author has to post an entry on the "announce your campaigns etc." thread, then VPaulus will update the big thread. If an update is needed, the author can easily PM him the changes.

If people don't do that, it will never reach the thread (allowing me to fill it up with all sorts of stuff! - I have 2 big projects nearing completion.))

- BNC
truth80
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by truth80 »

I asked because a lot of great campaigns are missing there and at first sight I thought all campaings are listed in one particular topic.
BiteNibbleChomp

truth80 wrote:I asked because a lot of great campaigns are missing there and at first sight I thought all campaings are listed in one particular topic.
The favourites can either be found in that thread or on the first 2 pages of this forum. Anything later generally has been abandoned or isn't very good (there is probably a rare exception here and there, but you'll get enough content from the first 2 alone!)

- BNC
truth80
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by truth80 »

It´s not always true :) Some excellent campaigns are missing. Some examples what have been tested and are not in the thread.

- DMP Pazifik Korps (DMP)
- Zrinyi Campaign (Uhu)
- Italy Corps, introduction to Afrika Korps large campaign (nikivdd)
- Eastern Front: Soviet Strom (Akkula)

I´m pretty sure since I´m quite new on the forum I have overlooked many campaigns. Btw I´m investigating all the time :) I personally prefer the local battles in more details than the global / world maps.
BiteNibbleChomp

As I said, there are always exceptions :wink: .

- BNC
Farre
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Farre »

i dont no if this are the right tread but can someone do World War II Panzer Corps with today equipment??? , lika Leopard 2A6, Marder1A5, M1a2 abrahms, Leclerc, T-90M ,MS new T-14 Armata and so on???
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

There's been some posts on post-WW2 versions - typically covering a few years after (ie late 1940s and maybe Korea).
While adapting Panzer Corps for later eras would probably need some adjustments, BiteNibbleChomp has made a WW1 version and a Mongol conquest version that have quite different feel to the original, so a modern era one could be successful.

There are posts of units that were either not delivered to the battlefield in time to see action (tortoise) or ones that could have been developed but weren't (E-series, and also Puma's wonder weapons), which could give you a start.
BiteNibbleChomp

captainjack wrote:There's been some posts on post-WW2 versions - typically covering a few years after (ie late 1940s and maybe Korea).
While adapting Panzer Corps for later eras would probably need some adjustments, BiteNibbleChomp has made a WW1 version and a Mongol conquest version that have quite different feel to the original, so a modern era one could be successful.
One thing you would have to deal with in a modern case is that battles are generally "see him, kill him" these days, as opposed to the periods I tend to cover, which the clash of 1,000 guys could last half a day. Balancing this lethality could be quite a difficult task...

There are already some modern units floating around the forum if you wish to pinch them: I have an M46 Patton and a T-55 in my downloads files, and I vaguely recall seeing a Leopard at some point, but again you will have to sweet-talk your way into a lot of icons!

Good luck.

- BNC
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

I have something of a different view of things. I'm more concerned of how the more ordinary survive in a brutal world. While Panzer Corps depends on growing a band of elites, a good commander would also know how to be effective with less. A large mass of us ordinary idiots are necessary for others to be elites. The test of the commander is how well they use the whole of the army.

In some campaigns should be forced to/allowed to choose weaker units, if only to have enough combat elements to maintain security.
aka The Count dTen
"Quam stultus sed, quam fidelis"
PGBamaJP
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Panzer Corps: Team Play

Post by PGBamaJP »

Is there any plan anywhere to modify the panzer corps game engine to accommodate multiple players on the same side/team (e.g. 3 Axis theatre players vs. 3 Allied theatre players) ?

It would be truly awesome to have a full global map with multi-player teams whereby each player controls certain nations (& their units) and/or all units within certain map sectors and to be able to make simultaneous team moves over a local network. It would be even more fun to have to chat with fellow teammate-commanders on a global battle plan as each team makes their move. Perhaps even add a command level structure for over-riding lower commanders moves (Ha!).

Panzer Corps is the ultimate in a thinking players strategy game and I play often (BE v1.7 lately) against my brother, but I've been thinking that the above would be truly awesome.

--- GeneralJP1 (PGBamaJP1)
grau81
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by grau81 »

Hello people. 8)

I wanted to ask whether some of the following scenarios/mod exist:

1. A mod in which Japan attacks USSR instead USA (after beginning of the operation Barbarossa)?

2. A mod/scenario in which Czechoslovakia would try to resist nazi invasion?

3. A historical British campaign in Europe?

4.) A Finnish Continuation war campaign?

What do you guys think of these ideas?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”