[Modding] e-file v1.10

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

[Modding] e-file v1.10

Post by nikivdd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:58 am

I would find extra information useful about:
Series Multipurpose Theatre Usable Transports Transport Category

I am also looking for a better alternative than notepad for tweaking the e-file. The probability for errors became too high.
If someone knows of a better program, please share and explain, at least, how to save the e-file so it remains compatibel for the game.

Also the different unit icons that can switch from european to african theatre, how to disable that?
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Re: [Modding] e-file v1.10

Post by Rudankort » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:28 am

Series

If unit A and unit B have the same string in their series column, upgrade from A to B costs only the difference between A's and B' cost. Otherwise, you pay full price for B. You can introduce new series at will.

Multipurpose

If unit A contains the ID of unit B in this column, A can switch to B. In this case, B should switch to A as well, or you won't be able to switch back. It is possible to have longer switch chains, like A->B->C->A or A->B->C->D->A etc. The units in switch chain should have some similar properties, or certain side effects are possible. Thus, I advice to have the same fuel and ammo on them, or some strange effects could occur. There is one unit in switch chain which is considered primary. This unit is designated with "primary" trait. This unit determines unit class of the unit. E. g. 88mm gun is AA even when switched to AT mode, and it is upgraded as AA (in cities or between missions), because 88mm AA is marked as primary.

Theatre

Every scenario now has a setting in which theatre it takes place. By default, every unit in eqp file is available in all theatres. But you can exclude any unit from any theatre(s) by placing theatre indexes (separated with commas) in this column. A better name for this column would be "Exclude from Theatre". In official content theatre 0 is Europe and theatre 1 is Africa.

Usable Transports and Transport Category

These columns are closely related, and together are used in the new transport support mechanics. Here is how it works.

1. Equipment file has two new columns which follow "Exclude from theatre" column. First lists transports the unit can use. Second is transport category. Transports in the list are separated by spaces. So "land sea rail" means that the unit can use land, sea and rail transports. A transport can have several categories too. So for example normal air transport can have "air" category, while glider can have "air glider" categories which means it can transport both infantry and heavy equipment. In general, the rule is: if unit's "usable transports" list and transport's "categories" list have anything in common, this transport can carry the unit. Example: infantry has "land sea air rail" usable transports. Glider has "air glider" categories. They have one item in common: "air". So glider can carry infantry.

2. If the two new columns are left empty, the game assigns them automatically. There are 4 default categories which are hard-coded in the game: "land", "sea", "air" and "rail". By default, all land transports get "land" category, all sea transports - "sea" category etc. Also, all leg and towed units get "land" usable transport, all ground units - "sea" and "rail" usable transports and all infantry units - "air" usable transport. This means that by default the game works exactly as before - but using the new transport system. When filling in new columns, don't forget to specify default categories in the list. Thus, by default Gigant will have "air" category, as long as its category column is empty. This happens because it belongs to air transport class. Now, if you put "glider" in its category column, it will assume this category. "air" will no longer be assigned automatically! If you want it on the Gigant too, you would need to specify "glider air" in its category column.

3. There is a new unit trait called "glider". Units loaded into such transport behave similarly to paratroopers: they can land on any hex, not just airport. But unlike paratropers, the landing occurs straight below the glider and no randomization takes place.

4. Scenario params screen in the editor changed. There are no longer sea/air/rail transport numbers and types on the second tab. Instead, "Transports" tab was added. Here you can select any transports and their numbers, up to five different types. So you can have several normal air transports and gliders at the same time.

5. When embarking a unit, the game will search for the first available transport suitable for this unit. The search is done in the same order in which the transports are listed in the Editor. So if normal air transport comes first, and glider next, the game will use normal air transport by default (for infantry, paratroopers etc.). But if you embark a tank, glider will be used, because normal transport is not usable for tanks. On the contrary, if you put glider first in the list, it will be assigned to everything (tanks, infantry, paratroopers etc.), until we run out of gliders. Then normal transports will be used.

You are free to add new transport categories at will. Just keep in mind that the total number of different transport categories used in the eqp file should not exceed 32. This number includes the 4 default categories (land/sea/air/rail) too.
nikivdd wrote: I am also looking for a better alternative than notepad for tweaking the e-file. The probability for errors became too high.
If someone knows of a better program, please share and explain, at least, how to save the e-file so it remains compatibel for the game.
I usually recommend Excel. Have you tried it?

There is also a separate tool created by mgarnet:
viewtopic.php?t=26898
But I guess it needs to be updated to 1.10, or it won't support new columns.
nikivdd wrote: Also the different unit icons that can switch from european to african theatre, how to disable that?
You could remove all files from Units/desert folder.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks Rudenkort. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I could try excell, but which encoding to save the file? You know, with notepad you can also save a file with different encoding (ansi, unicode and so on).

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:44 am

nikivdd wrote:Thanks Rudenkort. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I could try excell, but which encoding to save the file? You know, with notepad you can also save a file with different encoding (ansi, unicode and so on).
You are welcome. Equipment file must be Unicode, any other encoding will not work. Excel should recognize this when opening the file and save in the same format.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:49 am

Rudankort wrote:
nikivdd wrote:Thanks Rudenkort. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
You are welcome. Equipment file must be Unicode, any other encoding will not work. Excel should recognize this when opening the file and save in the same format.
I will give it a try, the next time i want to change something. But i'll make a backup first ;).

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:50 am

nikivdd wrote:I will give it a try, the next time i want to change something. But i'll make a backup first ;).
Always a wise idea. :)

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:54 am

For now, there is only one thing i need to solve, perhaps you might have an idea.

Let's assume unit X. Unit X cannot be purchased but is preplaced after the deployment phase of the opening scenario and it joins the player's core.
There are also 6 upgrades for unit X that will appear throughout the campaign. Now, is it possible to upgrade unit X to the new and better variant, still without the possibility to actually purchase it?

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:00 am

nikivdd wrote:Let's assume unit X. Unit X cannot be purchased but is preplaced after the deployment phase of the opening scenario and it joins the player's core.
There are also 6 upgrades for unit X that will appear throughout the campaign. Now, is it possible to upgrade unit X to the new and better variant, still without the possibility to actually purchase it?
The only way I see is to use "bonus" trait for these units. But this will interfere with getting bonus ("elite") units in the course of the campaign, because elite units you get are units with "bonus" trait. Otherwise, units which cannot be purchased ("nopurchase" trait) are not available for upgrade as well, or people would upgrade their artillery to Gustavs and Karl Gerats at will.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:22 am

Just as an idea: what I did with M-26 Pershings in my US campaign was to use the available date and have the "bonus" trait set. Just as normal SE units can be upgraded along the way and are not purchasable, so can these. For the M-26 I was trying to replicate their scarcity in the ETO and didn't want players being able to buy all Pershings from the beginning of 1945. I have an 5 (max) strength, 8 strength and 10 strength variety with the available dates separating each (they don't overlap). It might work in your situation, too.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:56 am

El_Condoro wrote:Just as an idea: what I did with M-26 Pershings in my US campaign was to use the available date and have the "bonus" trait set. Just as normal SE units can be upgraded along the way and are not purchasable, so can these. For the M-26 I was trying to replicate their scarcity in the ETO and didn't want players being able to buy all Pershings from the beginning of 1945. I have an 5 (max) strength, 8 strength and 10 strength variety with the available dates separating each (they don't overlap). It might work in your situation, too.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:24 am

Mark Garnett, is already working in the new equipment and efx editor.
I've sent him efx and equipment file examples during beta.
To edit efx I use, Excel, notepad++ and Mark's Editor. All have different features, that depending in what I'm doing, I use one or another.
For example notepad'' permits to have open at athe same time, multiple versions of the same file if they are saved in different locations. This way I can search one string in any version and get a report.
Notepad++ also permits to compare the difference between two files and report it in a visual manner.
Whatever I do with any program I always check the final version with Mark's editor, If there is a error with an erased tab, he will detect immediately.

Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:49 am

Rudankort wrote:Series

If unit A and unit B have the same string in their series column, upgrade from A to B costs only the difference between A's and B' cost. Otherwise, you pay full price for B. You can introduce new series at will.

Multipurpose

If unit A contains the ID of unit B in this column, A can switch to B. In this case, B should switch to A as well, or you won't be able to switch back. It is possible to have longer switch chains, like A->B->C->A or A->B->C->D->A etc. The units in switch chain should have some similar properties, or certain side effects are possible. Thus, I advice to have the same fuel and ammo on them, or some strange effects could occur. There is one unit in switch chain which is considered primary. This unit is designated with "primary" trait. This unit determines unit class of the unit. E. g. 88mm gun is AA even when switched to AT mode, and it is upgraded as AA (in cities or between missions), because 88mm AA is marked as primary.

Theatre

Every scenario now has a setting in which theatre it takes place. By default, every unit in eqp file is available in all theatres. But you can exclude any unit from any theatre(s) by placing theatre indexes (separated with commas) in this column. A better name for this column would be "Exclude from Theatre". In official content theatre 0 is Europe and theatre 1 is Africa.

Usable Transports and Transport Category

These columns are closely related, and together are used in the new transport support mechanics. Here is how it works.

1. Equipment file has two new columns which follow "Exclude from theatre" column. First lists transports the unit can use. Second is transport category. Transports in the list are separated by spaces. So "land sea rail" means that the unit can use land, sea and rail transports. A transport can have several categories too. So for example normal air transport can have "air" category, while glider can have "air glider" categories which means it can transport both infantry and heavy equipment. In general, the rule is: if unit's "usable transports" list and transport's "categories" list have anything in common, this transport can carry the unit. Example: infantry has "land sea air rail" usable transports. Glider has "air glider" categories. They have one item in common: "air". So glider can carry infantry.

2. If the two new columns are left empty, the game assigns them automatically. There are 4 default categories which are hard-coded in the game: "land", "sea", "air" and "rail". By default, all land transports get "land" category, all sea transports - "sea" category etc. Also, all leg and towed units get "land" usable transport, all ground units - "sea" and "rail" usable transports and all infantry units - "air" usable transport. This means that by default the game works exactly as before - but using the new transport system. When filling in new columns, don't forget to specify default categories in the list. Thus, by default Gigant will have "air" category, as long as its category column is empty. This happens because it belongs to air transport class. Now, if you put "glider" in its category column, it will assume this category. "air" will no longer be assigned automatically! If you want it on the Gigant too, you would need to specify "glider air" in its category column.

3. There is a new unit trait called "glider". Units loaded into such transport behave similarly to paratroopers: they can land on any hex, not just airport. But unlike paratropers, the landing occurs straight below the glider and no randomization takes place.

4. Scenario params screen in the editor changed. There are no longer sea/air/rail transport numbers and types on the second tab. Instead, "Transports" tab was added. Here you can select any transports and their numbers, up to five different types. So you can have several normal air transports and gliders at the same time.

5. When embarking a unit, the game will search for the first available transport suitable for this unit. The search is done in the same order in which the transports are listed in the Editor. So if normal air transport comes first, and glider next, the game will use normal air transport by default (for infantry, paratroopers etc.). But if you embark a tank, glider will be used, because normal transport is not usable for tanks. On the contrary, if you put glider first in the list, it will be assigned to everything (tanks, infantry, paratroopers etc.), until we run out of gliders. Then normal transports will be used.

You are free to add new transport categories at will. Just keep in mind that the total number of different transport categories used in the eqp file should not exceed 32. This number includes the 4 default categories (land/sea/air/rail) too.
nikivdd wrote: I am also looking for a better alternative than notepad for tweaking the e-file. The probability for errors became too high.
I usually recommend Excel. Have you tried it?

There is also a separate tool created by mgarnet:
viewtopic.php?t=26898
But I guess it needs to be updated to 1.10, or it won't support new columns.
nikivdd wrote: Also the different unit icons that can switch from european to african theatre, how to disable that?
You could remove all files from Units/desert folder.
Nice info...thnx Alex :wink:
Although may I indicate that it may be more useful to collect this in one sticky topic or a scenario editor manual add-on.
Its really hard for new people to collect officiall yet undocumented info when its cluttered all over the forum.

As for editing equipment and efx file I would recommend Excel...its the most comfortable way as one dont have to bother about format and you have big chunk of entrys on the sceen all nicely seperated in boxes.

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Rudankort wrote:
nikivdd wrote:Let's assume unit X. Unit X cannot be purchased but is preplaced after the deployment phase of the opening scenario and it joins the player's core.
The only way I see is to use "bonus" trait for these units. But this will interfere with getting bonus ("elite") units in the course of the campaign, because elite units you get are units with "bonus" trait. Otherwise, units which cannot be purchased ("nopurchase" trait) are not available for upgrade as well, or people would upgrade their artillery to Gustavs and Karl Gerats at will.
Try:
1. Give the Bonus units a valid from/to before scenarios starts.
2. Place it on scenarios. Add bonus slots in the scenatio.
3. Give the update (also bonus) a vaid fron/to for a time range of a scenario (scenario 1-3. - 4.3., valid for upgrade: 2.3.-3.3.)

The bonus units should never possible "between" scenarios of a campaign.

guille1434
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:20 pm

Rudankort: Very good explanation about some features of the all important e-file! Thanks a lot!...

One question: Before reading this (and before patch v1.10 y was experimenting in using three variant multipurpose units... I wasn´t using the "primary" trait in the first unit of the chain... The "chained" units only changed in class (was artillery-infantry-Anti Tank) and the attack values, the rest was not changed...

When I purchased said unit in a scenario y clicked on it, the program ceased to respond. Could it be caused because I was not using the primary trait?

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:59 am

And what makes the new terrain traits
lowsup (okay. but could you explain detailed - percentage...)
strait

Heroes-Button in the editor:
Are these heroes for the untit immadiately available or also like other units after a kill-counter?
Perhaps, you should add a column kills. 0 for a hero for the unit placed on map and x for future heroes.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:53 am

fsx wrote: And what makes the new terrain traits
lowsup (okay. but could you explain detailed - percentage...)
strait
lowsup - 50% supply on such hex
strait - the units get the same combat penalties as on a river, but bridge engineers do not bridge such terrain.
fsx wrote: Heroes-Button in the editor:
Are these heroes for the untit immadiately available or also like other units after a kill-counter?
Perhaps, you should add a column kills. 0 for a hero for the unit placed on map and x for future heroes.
Heroes assigned in the editor are available immediately. I can see how kills counter could be useful here, yes, but it is not there yet.
guille1434 wrote: One question: Before reading this (and before patch v1.10 y was experimenting in using three variant multipurpose units... I wasn´t using the "primary" trait in the first unit of the chain... The "chained" units only changed in class (was artillery-infantry-Anti Tank) and the attack values, the rest was not changed...

When I purchased said unit in a scenario y clicked on it, the program ceased to respond. Could it be caused because I was not using the primary trait?
I can't be 100% sure without reproducing the problem on my side - but yes, the absence of "primary" trait might be the reason why it froze.

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 am

Some traits in 1.05 did not worked.
Like close (for units) l(ong)sup(pression). They now work in 1.10?

It's possible to give a complete overview ower all (used, working) traits? I know, you wrote all new traits in different treads.
EDIT: I wrote it in viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36381.
If something is missing, please add. Perhaps also the "old" traits?

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:42 am

fsx wrote:EDIT: I wrote it in viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36381.
If something is missing, please add. Perhaps also the "old" traits?
There's a FAQ/Common Questions thread with some of the old traits.

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:53 pm

fsx wrote:
Rudankort wrote:
Try:
1. Give the Bonus units a valid from/to before scenarios starts.
2. Place it on scenarios. Add bonus slots in the scenatio.
3. Give the update (also bonus) a vaid fron/to for a time range of a scenario (scenario 1-3. - 4.3., valid for upgrade: 2.3.-3.3.)

The bonus units should never possible "between" scenarios of a campaign.

VPaulus asked me to explain again:

from a PN to VPaulus:

You want to upgrade a special unit, do you placed in a scenario. And the upgrade and the unit should not be available for buing.

1. You need a trigger for that unit (turn 1). Gerhard said that without trigger the unit is not on the map.
2. You need to add the "bonus" trait for all these special units (also upgrades)
3. You have to spend a special unit slot in the scenario. In other way, the placed unit will never arrive. BUT: after a scenario there is a 33% chance th get a bonus unit.
4. Thats the reason to give the units in the equipment file valid from / to dates BEFORE campaign starts.
5. Upgrades have valid from / to dates IN a scenario. Its the same reason (the chance to get a bonus units). And now, the player can upgrade during scenario.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm just trying to get into all the new 1.10 stuff. One thing I noticed :

Has the trait "fixedt" been changed to "fixt"? Does the old entry still work or should all be changed to "fixt" to work correctly?

Edit:
NM....seems I was hallucinating....looks like it's still "fixedt"... :shock:

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”