German Infantry - Should it change?

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

PAWSlither
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

German Infantry - Should it change?

Post by PAWSlither » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:08 am

Hello,

I love Panzer Corps (PzC).
I was just looking at all the German Infantry and I really like stats and getting dates correct.

Can scenarios be made earlier than 1939?

With all the research that went into both PzC & Pacific General (PacGen),
I am actually surprised by these results.

Clearly PacGen catered for the earlier formation of the Wehrmacht and the ability to create scenarios earlier than 1939.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wehrmacht

Should there be some units added for 1936?
Or just date manipulation?
I would suggest the Fallschirmjäger is definitely way out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallschirm ... ld_War_II)
In January 1936, 600 men and officers formed the 1st Jäger Battalion/RGG, commanded by Bruno Bräuer, and the 15th Engineer Company/RGG and were transferred to training area Döberitz for jump training while the rest of the regiment was sent to Altengrabow.[7] Germany's parachute arm was officially inaugurated on 29 January 1936

PAW

Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Re: German Infantry - Should it change?

Post by Chris10 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Well..for a user made scenario or campaign you can just create as much custom units as you want,there is no restriction :wink:
Personally I think Its all about plausability within the given scenario...one of the main problems is to justify units with their unit stats and
here it is easy to overdo things by having a truckload of different units which in the end are mainly of cosmetic nature but
in the bigger picture dont really serve a deeper gameplay purpose...
One example:
If your scenario/game scale is regiment then there is no place for a sniper unit for example..
If you create a scneario in company level with drastic different stats for different infantry units then there could be a place for a sniper unit.

Dunno if that makes any sense :)

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Chris10 wrote:Dunno if that makes any sense :)
A lot. Precisely my thoughts. :)

PAWSlither
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PAWSlither » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:25 am

Guys,

Very true. Custom wise I would be able to do anything. I was thinking more along the lines of getting dates more in line.

I am not proposing any changes to the Stats or adding much in way of more units. I was thinking on the lines of better date management.

I have now added a 3rd table from SPWaW that really went that extra mile for units.

http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/paw/ ... tryPzC.mht

Especially end Dates. Once a new Infantry type comes in, the old should end shortly therafter. Unlike AFV's on a production line.
Standard Equipment for Infantry is not going to stay available from '39 till '46. Essentially the improvements represents more
and better small arms. Such as SMG - MMG - HMG, better grenades, better rifles etc.

PAW

deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:34 am

Unless you're making a custom scenario, there's little reason to add 36 variants of infantry.

In my Unit Revisions mod, I eliminate the ability to purchase the standard (1939) infantry in 1943. In any event, the way I tweaked the equipment file the player will want to upgrade, since the 1943 infantry are massively improved compared to the 1939 infantry.

Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 pm

PAWSlither wrote:Guys,

Very true. Custom wise I would be able to do anything. I was thinking more along the lines of getting dates more in line.

I am not proposing any changes to the Stats or adding much in way of more units. I was thinking on the lines of better date management.

I have now added a 3rd table from SPWaW that really went that extra mile for units.

http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/paw/ ... tryPzC.mht

Especially end Dates. Once a new Infantry type comes in, the old should end shortly therafter. Unlike AFV's on a production line.
Standard Equipment for Infantry is not going to stay available from '39 till '46. Essentially the improvements represents more
and better small arms. Such as SMG - MMG - HMG, better grenades, better rifles etc.

PAW
Again...the dates serve a gameplay reason for regular players...thats why they dont remove a Pz I from the roster even if after 1939 none were produced anymore (except conversions...)
By the time the Tiger II comes available the only tanks still produced were Panzer IV-H and Panther G..so players would have 3 units to look in the roster and all 3 pretty expensive...not a lot to maintain casual players happy...same goes for literally any other equipment...
Its up to games/mods with different approaches to set,move or remove dates.
For PzC East I completely remove upgrades or equipment which is out of production..this will greatly thin out the unit roster and available upgrade paths. Thats great for people who like to play in a historical plausible way but will be considered utter crap by casual players :P

And to take on deducters remark..why would you add a 36 Inf model when the game starts in 1939 ?...Any mod will do a custom unit if he needs it. There is no need to try to create a standard table with dozens of infantry types and models which should/must be used by scneario designers.
They will be done anyway if the need arises :wink:

Radoye
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Radoye » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:09 pm

The "39" year echelon should IMHO be made into "38" and introduce a couple of earlier "35" units. it was in 1938 that the Wehrmacht unit organization changed, before this date they were quite weaker (significantly less support and heavy weapons).

In PacGen the entire 38/39 echenon was pushed forward to 1936 (too early for Europe) to make it align with the events in Asia. It makes German units too strong for the 1936 timeframe.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”