[Axis Campaign] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.3 (11/08/14)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: [MOD] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.2 (13/02/14)

Post by nikivdd »

davidhansen wrote:I need help in logging into design mod project site/ forums.

I've registered previously and have successfully logged into the site on past occasions...and thereby having access to the many mod d/l.

Either my username is wrong and/or my password...b/c I can't gain access.

When I try to re-register the administrator says my email address is already on record, therfore I can't re-register.

How can I go about finding/re-setting my username and password to gain access to the mod D/Ls?

All combinations I can think of have been tried with no luck...and my email address has already be established so I can't re-register.

TXS
Hello David,
With all due respect, i don't understand why you posted your DMP registration issues in this thread. This mod has no affiliation whatsoever with DMP. I suggest you post your message in one of the DMP threads.
Thank you for your understanding.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
timek28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by timek28 »

I failed at El Alamain 2 again...

The scenario is completely tedious. I haven't counted AI planes and tanks but they seem infinite. They never stop pouring in. Good thing is that for some amount of them destroyed you get around 500 prestige. Just about enough to patch damaged unit needed destroying them in the first place...

I have question for you Nikki and others who played this scenario. What is the best possible strategy? Deployment zones allow only for the bulk of forces to be placed south while the main British attack goes north and in the middle. It is almost impossible to stop those attacks without help from the south. But then if one does that (pulling major forces from the south to the north) there is no way to mount a efficient counterattack. I believe counterattack has to start from the south in flanking move almost immediately from the beginning of the scenario. There is no other way to conquer wast ridges and fortifications that AI holds. My thought is that there are around 30 turns needed to conquer all AI hexes (for DV). However that seems almost impossible while in the same time trying to prevent north and middle sections from collapsing with only about 10 deployment hexes. Of course Luftwaffe does its absolute best to prevent British tanks from breaking through but I don't think it is possible to stop northern attack with 10 ground units and Luftwaffe only.

Any suggestions? I'm bedazzled, this is harder then GC Stalingrad for sure...
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

I have been reading all the comments with great interest and i have to admit that El Alamein 2 is a damn hard scenario to win...although it has by far no city hexes as Stalingrad ;)
Changes cannot be implemented if nobody posts feedback but in analogy to the posts of the Dunkirk scenario, i have gladly tweaked the El Alamein 2 scenario. You can find it in the attachment, and it will be part of the future v0.3 update

Changes:
1) Victory requirements have been reduced to "capture all primary objectives". Two Allied held victory hexes (the defensive line west of El Alamein) have been removed.
2) A few Axis units (mainly Italian) were exchanged and a few new ones were added (German captured tanks, Italian level bombers, mines...)
3) Allied start prestige reduced by 60%
4) Axis prestige per turn raised by 50% (to 75PP per turn)
5) Allied reinforcements: planes reduced by 50%, no more ground units
6) Prestige dump at turn 10 raised from 500PP to 1500PP

It will still be a hell of a fight, but reaching a DV should be within your grasp.

Before going on the offensive, it is important to deal blows to the Allied attackers; most of the Axis preplaced units are intrenched.
Always, attempt first to pick off the units that can "surrender" instead of "retreat". It will yield some prestige and you have one enemy unit less to worry about.
The only battlegroup that can meet the enemy actively, is the area where the main bulk of your units can be placed. Initially, they should engage the enemy units going to Deir el Munassib (30,51) and the Italian Camp (30,64). When that particular area is secured, you forces should swing north attacking the Alam el Halfa and Ruweisat ridges.
El Alamein 2.rar
(14.58 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Extract in mygames\panzer corps\mods\legacy of versailes\data folder and overwrite.
(you might want to backup the older El Alamein 2 files just incase ;))
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Nikki what can I say... Thank you once again... You are truly incredibly dedicated modder :)

As you said it would be easier if someone gave feedback other then me (well Ceek and Horst have done that). It rattles my mind that there aren't too many players trying to play this great mod. Maybe because they are waiting for version 1.0 or something I don't know. Anyways I'm glad that in some way I'm contributing to the mod's improvement.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

timek28 wrote:Nikki what can I say... Thank you once again... You are truly incredibly dedicated modder :)

As you said it would be easier if someone gave feedback other then me (well Ceek and Horst have done that). It rattles my mind that there aren't too many players trying to play this great mod. Maybe because they are waiting for version 1.0 or something I don't know. Anyways I'm glad that in some way I'm contributing to the mod's improvement.
The mod has been downloaded about 500 times, so there is some interest from the community :)
It is very nice and thoughtful that people post, but i have never been a beggar ;)
As always, whatever i create, is something that i like to play and then i gladly share it with everyone.
Whenever time allows, i continue to work on a PG mod conversion and when it is done, it will be announced in the GTPG thread (currently on page 29? :lol: ) with a few links for download.
iceFlame
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by iceFlame »

nikivdd wrote:It is very nice and thoughtful that people post, but i have never been a beggar ;)
As always, whatever i create, is something that i like to play and then i gladly share it with everyone.
Just wanted to say, thanks for sharing...

I know most people don't take the time to post and say thank you, but without people like you PzC wouldn't be nearly as much fun. So thank you very much for helping keep a great game alive! :D
Go deep here: slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=49469
timek28

Post by timek28 »

nikivdd wrote: The mod has been downloaded about 500 times, so there is some interest from the community :)
I have forgotten about the first page of the thread :) Yes there is info on the number of downloads! Great stuff, I cannot comprehend how many copies of original PC were sold, but I believe we are not a very large gaming community so 500 is a very good number :)

Keep up the good work! PG conversion is also one thing that I'm waiting eagerly :)
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

I haven't forgotten the PG conversion but that won't be any time soon. As GTPG v1.11 is nearing 900 downloads, i will post a small update. There are no more changes foreseen in the scenarios but appearingly there are a few mistakes in the e-file and campaign file that should be dealt with. A large core army, as we know, has a rather devastating effect on the softcap. I will add the two tweaked game rules files for v1.14 and v1.20 as created for the LoV-Ultimate edition. That softcap gives me the shivers :lol:
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Good to see you back, Nikki. :D
Richard
timek28

Post by timek28 »

I've finally beaten El Alamain 2, thanks to your help Nikki :)

The tweaks you made where just enough for me to break through enemy lines once and for all! I've finished at turn 36 of 38 so that is good playing by me I guess...

Couple of remarks though:

1) You said 1500PP where to be given every time significant number of AI tanks where destroyed. However I received 1500PP only the first time I did that. After that it came back to 500 as before. I have almost 10000PP after this scenario so I'm not saying there is not enough prestige. Although 43 is coming so I don't mind having more prestige for the Tigers you know ;)

2) AI attack now is considerably smaller and weaker. There are not several waves. I think there is only one wave now, although a very big one. I'm not sure weather my immediate counterattack from the south or weaker AI attack from the north made the scenario look a lot less difficult then it was. At least from the AI attack standpoint. I don't mind this because...

3) ... breaking through AI defenses proved to be a much harder task then stopping AI attack. It was absolutely tedious. It took me around 3.5 hours to play the last 15 turns of the scenario. Clearing hex after hex in slow fashion. So in that regard having less potent AI attack balanced very well with incredible AI defense. You hit the sweet-spot. Not sure if that is historical, but who cares for that now :)

4) I like how AI starts retreating from fortifications once I breach it's lines (trying to create a sneak counterattack). Is that scripted from you Nikki?

I'll continue to Egypt, although that will have to wait a day or two...
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

timek28 wrote:I've finally beaten El Alamain 2, thanks to your help Nikki :)

The tweaks you made where just enough for me to break through enemy lines once and for all! I've finished at turn 36 of 38 so that is good playing by me I guess...

Couple of remarks though:

1) You said 1500PP where to be given every time significant number of AI tanks where destroyed. However I received 1500PP only the first time I did that. After that it came back to 500 as before. I have almost 10000PP after this scenario so I'm not saying there is not enough prestige. Although 43 is coming so I don't mind having more prestige for the Tigers you know ;)

2) AI attack now is considerably smaller and weaker. There are not several waves. I think there is only one wave now, although a very big one. I'm not sure weather my immediate counterattack from the south or weaker AI attack from the north made the scenario look a lot less difficult then it was. At least from the AI attack standpoint. I don't mind this because...

3) ... breaking through AI defenses proved to be a much harder task then stopping AI attack. It was absolutely tedious. It took me around 3.5 hours to play the last 15 turns of the scenario. Clearing hex after hex in slow fashion. So in that regard having less potent AI attack balanced very well with incredible AI defense. You hit the sweet-spot. Not sure if that is historical, but who cares for that now :)

4) I like how AI starts retreating from fortifications once I breach it's lines (trying to create a sneak counterattack). Is that scripted from you Nikki?

I'll continue to Egypt, although that will have to wait a day or two...
1) Than i must have wrote that wrongly :oops: The prestige dump on turn 10 has been raised to 1500 PP, the rest have been left unchanged;
2) More waves were caused by reinforcements, well, not anymore :mrgreen:
3) I couldn't make it a complete walkover ;)
4) Yes, that is scripted to cause a last minute panic 8)
timek28

Re: [Axis Campaign] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.2 (13/02

Post by timek28 »

I've finished Ethiopia and a bonus scenario after it. After long and exhausting North African campaign a nice change of pace to a more peaceful one. One thing I have to mention. It looks like both maps - Ethiopia and East Africa look exactly the same as in GTGP. Am I correct? The good thing is that the core structure is different (restricting or Italian mostly). However I must say that after great great NEW scenarios of North Africa, this "same as GTPG" map look comes as a bit of disappointment. Also RV mod uses exactly the same maps. Maybe the problem is in me for playing all of your campaigns and noticing this repetition ;)

Nothing to take out of the experience which is great, especially with the El Alamain 1&2 which are jewels of scenario creation :) What I wanted to say is that I have been going though more or less the same scenery as in GTPG or RV (in certain scenarios). I remember Spain being the same also... Some of those maps I encounter for the 4th or 5th time...

I understand why you did this, it just saves time and energy and with you on so many projects now, it is impossible to create new maps all the time. However I do hope that the mods that you suggested to me (wink wink) don't have those same maps again (maybe India or far east would be fun to explore before US)?

Ultimately all possible locations will be and have to be recycled over and over again as long as this game is played on this level. Except for Australia or North pole maybe :D
guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by guille1434 »

I, for one, would be glad to see that different campaigns which shares the same battle locations, uses the same maps... It would be irreal that the maps from different campaigns show the same geographical region in a different way. And also is the "moduarization" factor: why re-make maps when all you need is to show the same region?
timek28

Post by timek28 »

guille1434 wrote:I, for one, would be glad to see that different campaigns which shares the same battle locations, uses the same maps... It would be irreal that the maps from different campaigns show the same geographical region in a different way. And also is the "moduarization" factor: why re-make maps when all you need is to show the same region?
Well the point is that the North African part of the campaign has been thoroughly recycled in several campaigns. Starting from AK, AC, then RV, PG conversion, and only GTPG didn't have it if I recall it well enough... But even with those odds Nikki managed to create wast new maps, similar to the smaller older versions, but still a completely new experience. Like I said El Alamain is something never seen before in terms of toughness, the terrain look and wise unit placement. On the other hand Ethiopia as well as East Africa for now seem like a rehashed experience. I don't mind that, I just say that since he is mod producing machine, that maybe (only maybe) those same maps should be avoided in some future campaigns.

I understand it is hard to create new maps since most of the world has been covered though. But just as an Idea maybe switching to far eastern fronts (Pacific)? would be fun :) Although I'm having high hopes for LoV ultimate. From screenshots I haven't seen anything that I have seen before :D
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

I understand that the rehash of maps can be somewhat annoying but a lot of time goes into the making of maps.
For LoV ultimate (part one) i have made a whole bunch of new maps, but the testers also wish to see the maps from the vanilla version and the smaller scale maps of MPC in the LoV custom environment. You should really have a test run in the wink wink that i send you; i tried to implement (some of) the suggestions that were made.
Being in East Africa means that there are still plenty of new maps awaiting (South Africa, Namibia, Cameroon, UK, Greenland and all Northamerican maps).
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

OK! Soon enough we will have all our good all planet Earth charted in PzCorps maps. This is wonderful news for me!... So start thinking about the Moon and Mars maps! (wink wink, Star General someone? For sure, I can port the icons!):-)
timek28

Post by timek28 »

I have no problem with the same regions revisited. We have only one planet and of course there is no need to go to the Moon and beyond :)

What I wanted to say is to avoid having the exact same maps in several campaigns. Maybe divide them in smaller parts, or focus on some particular part or city. That has been done in LoV very well and I have no objections and neither do I have right to complain. It would be unfair to Nikki who puts out great effort in all of this. I just wanted to point of these 2 particular maps (Ethiopia and East Africa). All other maps are either brand new, or completely different (much larger) versions of the previous maps which is impressive! And as Nikki said there are still plentiful of new upcoming maps so there is no worry for us :)
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

timek28 wrote:I have no problem with the same regions revisited. We have only one planet and of course there is no need to go to the Moon and beyond :)

What I wanted to say is to avoid having the exact same maps in several campaigns. Maybe divide them in smaller parts, or focus on some particular part or city. That has been done in LoV very well and I have no objections and neither do I have right to complain. It would be unfair to Nikki who puts out great effort in all of this. I just wanted to point of these 2 particular maps (Ethiopia and East Africa). All other maps are either brand new, or completely different (much larger) versions of the previous maps which is impressive! And as Nikki said there are still plentiful of new upcoming maps so there is no worry for us :)
Frankly, i had no desire to create two new maps for Ethiopia and East Africa as the development of the campaign in its entirety was already taking too much time. So, i took those maps out of the digital drawer and saved time in the process.
I think my future lays in smaller campaigns, eventually in DLC shape.
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Sorry for my mumble jumble :) Keep on doing the great work :)

I agree that smaller campaigns would be a blast. It would be a nice twist in tempo from the large and slower campaigns. I had much fun playing PG conversion (for Allies for example) :)
timek28

Post by timek28 »

My complaint about east Africa was not on point at all.

I barely won the scenario, and it was very difficulty and new. Six tanks only restriction gives a nice new dynamic that puts out new challenges. Also addition of factories as a victory condition makes things more difficult. There is a need for backdrops of FJ units in order to capture all the required factories in time. So as an overall experience despite the same map it is quite a different feel. There is need for blitzkrieg albeit in jungle, which requires good thinking.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions, campaign is really great :)

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”