Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (GC45West, Mar 4 2013)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Kolaris
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (GC45West, Mar 4 2013)

Post by Kolaris »

wastedswan wrote:I would like to tell you guys about a simple change I made to the equip file that adds a WHOLE lot more depth to the game. All you do is set the movement of all towed guns to zero. Simple eh? But so much depth. Guns must now mount transports to move - gone are the days of run and gun assault artillery. This turns them into a predominantly defensive unit.
Played through '41 with similar changes. I like it for Artillery and AA Guns, for AT Guns...

Certainly they were a defensive weapon. Rommel's successes with the 88 involved luring the enemy into pre-emplaced batteries. It's very difficult to emulate this tactic against the AI. I can establish a line, bring up the 88, then fall back to it once it's setup. This works well enough. The issue is time. I can rarely afford to wait the extra turn or two to make use of the fixed guns. A self-propelled piece works almost as well in an ambush but can go on the offensive. But I guess this is all historical.

However, they should still be useful against a fixed line, and with this change it's impossible. You can't bring up the gun because it'll be blown up in its truck while adjacent to the enemy. This is a vanilla problem in my opinion. The truck shouldn't last through the enemies turn unless you used your maximum movement points. And you should be able to attack after moving in a truck, but at an initiative penalty based on how far you moved.

I've restored 1 movement to very light guns (<1000lb) and 1 movement on roads only to medium guns (<2000lb). I've also given them more initiative and close defense, but they still feel pretty useless to me. Not sure where to go from here.
glaude1955
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by glaude1955 »

Uhu wrote:OK, I will share, but I have to make it more user-friendly: I mean, for me alone, many things were clear, how I modified it, but I want to make it clear for the others too. :) I will post, when I'm finished with it.

Hello Uhu,
Can you say me if you successfully complete the file to version 1.26 and if so, post me the download link.
What you have done with McGuba is excellent for the mod Battefield Europe but can not be used as is with the GCs (some units are nopurchase for the needs of the scenario BE)

Regards
Yves
martiniiirichard
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by martiniiirichard »

Just wanted to give a shout out to Deducter for his mod work. Absolutely fantastic. I was playing on Rommel before and got to the final scenario in Kiev and had 30k prestige. I was thinking....man I will be drowning in prestige and buy every awesome super weapon I could want in 1943. Something is off here. Rommel was hard strategical and tactically, not resource management wise. Then I tried 80% experience reduction with Rommel because that makes each unit super important and worth prestige investment. I was using over strengthening and elite replacements. I found my self sitting at 14k prestige at the start of Smolensk. So I can see a steep drop. But, again, I will still be able to buy plenty of stuff and with over strengthened artillery face stomping most things...it seems like 1943 will not be as hard as it should be. I still think this mode is insane and Deducter would struggle with it by 43. The XP gain being so severely limiting was already a problem in 1940 in huge ways. However, I found it frustrating that when I gained a star it really didn't feel like a big deal. How were inexperienced French troops running roughshod over my better trained German soldiers? I was looking at a situation where most of my units would struggle getting to 4 stars by the end of 42 and fielding low 3 star and 2 star units there would be a nightmare. So, I kind of fixed the prestige issue, but was facing the real possibility of getting face stomped by the Russians.

Now, Deducter comes out with a mod that lets you play on Rommel and it feels like resource management is becoming a much bigger problem. To the point that deployment stage requires an incredible amount of thought. I was absolutely befuddled and delighted at once when I realized that I could not buy what I wanted in the Poznan scenario. I have beaten this scenario without taking losses before. I found myself looking at the purchase screen and feeling anguish. But I need artillery...I need my pioneers...I need transports. I had to think of the ingenious idea of buying units without transports gaining prestige and parking units in the city to upgrade them. This in turn forced me to figure out where units went and where they stayed. I had to show even more patience than I normally needed and put even more thought in the strategy of how to play the scenario. This is scenario one and I feel like its a totally different game! I get to Danzig corridor where I usually face stomp the enemy. Now...I am not so sure. The stats update helps and hurts me and this scenario forced me to rethink my old clever strategies. Poorly placed units get destroyed completely instead of mangled.I feel something new while playing...fear. I cannot be as brazen with locating my units. I can still exploit knowing some units will not attack, but the mobile units the AI has are so much more aggressive and sensible. They attack my tank on an open space from the river with backing artillery instead of sitting there? Say what? That never happened before. How about artillery getting aggressive in this scenario in a way I have never seen before. Is that because of the stats adjustments? Maybe its chance or I did something different that triggered the AI somehow, but I don't think so. I parked auxiliary 38t next to an anti tank gun with no backing artillery and watched in amazement as that tank was destroyed. I never lose that tank in this scenario. I hope when Panzer Corps two comes out the AI acts like this. The artillery still needs to shoot first and scout cars need to go first, but still this is something new. I really believe the people I watch play this game need to seriously give deducters mod a chance. I am in scenario two and seriously wondering if I can get a decisive victory in every scenario in 39. Maybe its possible, but the losses will mount. The cost for doing so is steeper and I feel serious anxiety about my prestige levels that I did not before.

Deducters mod forced me to think even more strategically then before. Not only does the map require more thought, but equipment purchases require serious thought. I was playing with a mostly balanced corps before, but I strongly suspect that I will have to put more thought in tank classes and artillery choices in ways that were never true before. Second, tactics become triply important. Especially positional tactics. I think 1940 with be the training ground for whether you can survive Russia. Those tanks and infantry better be placed with near perfection or say good bye to your carefully nurtured unit. If you can't get advanced tactics down in that year you are totally going to get reamed in 43. I also feel like the dice rolls are less random even though I make sure to keep the random option checked. It's great though because there is randomness, but way less extreme, but every other turn you will see a huge mis prediction. This feels better then vanilla and I am curious if anyone else notices a difference? That could be related to stats as well. Every unit seems tougher for all sides.

Deducters mod forces you to think at a high strategic level, tactical level, resource management level, and the corps will be historically accurate all at once! This guy should get paid big bucks for achieving all that. I am chess master and I find this game very challenging on all fronts. With Deductors mod its like playing a GM every scenario.
lennis29
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by lennis29 »

Greetings, it would be great a new revision.
- GerMOD
- VolksMOD
- XXIX Le PzKorps
GrizzlyKt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GrizzlyKt »

a new version would be wicked

yes please
lennis29

Post by lennis29 »

I think that few people play panzer corps, tremendous work done here in this MOD, a latest version adapted to 1.30 would be great, but the last time the developer was active was in 2014.
- GerMOD
- VolksMOD
- XXIX Le PzKorps
Mateusz300

Post by Mateusz300 »

Is this mod works with 1.30 version?
Manifestor
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Manifestor »

And why does Germany have such expensive artillery? I'm playing Africa Corps DLC at the Rommel difficulty level and I already have very little prestige.
Manifestor

Post by Manifestor »

Mateusz300 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:39 am Is this mod works with 1.30 version?
Yes.
Mateusz300

Post by Mateusz300 »

Manifestor wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:00 am
Yes.
Started playing PC1 with this mod last week. I feel like I play a new, brilliant game!
lennis29

Post by lennis29 »

Mateusz300 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:17 am
Yes.
Started playing PC1 with this mod last week. I feel like I play a new, brilliant game!
Greetings, I am working on an update of the mod, if you wait, you can enjoy it.
- GerMOD
- VolksMOD
- XXIX Le PzKorps
Mateusz300

Post by Mateusz300 »

lennis29 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:46 pm
Yes.
Good news! Do you planning to rebalance Soviet Corps or US Campaign...?
lennis29

Post by lennis29 »

Mateusz300 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:47 pm
lennis29 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:46 pm

Good news! Do you planning to rebalance Soviet Corps or US Campaign...?
It would be complicated for me, because I would have to dedicate many hours of work and I can't.
- GerMOD
- VolksMOD
- XXIX Le PzKorps

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”