Some new icons if you want them, more to follow

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

asuser
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Some new icons if you want them, more to follow

Post by asuser »

Ok, I will make a list and ring the bell...
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Thanks.........my direct email is in your box here and I got your list.

Attached is an image of a Jagdpanther II L71 I found online and it is a pretty good photoshop image.
Attachments
Prototype Jagdpanther.jpg
Prototype Jagdpanther.jpg (19.92 KiB) Viewed 8980 times
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Everyone may not like the idea, but sometimes I stumble upon some interesting wartime images that I believe may help us all learn more about the different equipment used in the war. I know the game places heavy emphasis on the German made rolling stock (trucks, etc.), but the Germans utilized many thousands of captured rolling stock, especially trucks. I wanted to make an example of every type of truck utilized by the German or Axis war machine, but to be honest I do not know if anyone would want to put any of the really scarce and rare trucks used.

But on the other hand, the neglect in the game of non German manufactured rolling stock employed by the Germans is really under represented. Take a note of the line of Renault trucks on Liebenstandarte Plaza in Kharkov, Ukraine in the picture. Here are a few of many images..........

My favorite is the image of Liebstandarte Square. I have been there many times, even stood on the very spot of the photographer was standing..... and when a person is there it is easy to imagine all the history that happened.
Attachments
German Army Renault trucks on Leibstandart square in Kharkiv sized.png
German Army Renault trucks on Leibstandart square in Kharkiv sized.png (63.01 KiB) Viewed 8978 times
Praga RV Heer in Caucasus.png
Praga RV Heer in Caucasus.png (202.08 KiB) Viewed 8978 times
Praga RN trucks German service.png
Praga RN trucks German service.png (59.01 KiB) Viewed 8978 times
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

A few more wartime German rolling stock images
Attachments
I selected this image because is shows two different varieties of trucks and the Germans used both in the same way
I selected this image because is shows two different varieties of trucks and the Germans used both in the same way
Tatra T93-Praga RV Slovaks or Romanians sized.png (137 KiB) Viewed 8978 times
tatra-27-GERMAN SERVICE sized.png
tatra-27-GERMAN SERVICE sized.png (147.73 KiB) Viewed 8978 times
German Tatra T27 Germans sized.png
German Tatra T27 Germans sized.png (175.05 KiB) Viewed 8978 times
asuser

Post by asuser »

flakfernrohr wrote:Thanks.........my direct email is in your box here and I got your list.

Attached is an image of a Jagdpanther II L71 I found online and it is a pretty good photoshop image.
Indeed, interesting picture!

But, if you look twice there are at minimum two bad construction mistakes. :wink:

First: The left track section is sharper than the right track section in the foreground.
Second: The ugly "welded joint" area (connection between casemate/main body) in the left/middle of the picture. Can't believe, that German
engineers/manufactoring process is so bad...

I checked also my sources like the very good book "Spielberger/Doyle: Der Panzerkampfwagen Panther und seine Abarten" and there isn't so much
information about that model. Mostly there were test orders to check out for Krupp and Rheinmetall-Borsig, if there is a possibility to armor up the
basic Panther body with various gun models. Besides "Skorpion" with 12.8cm AT and flak version "Coelian" with 5.5cm AA the developments into
practical uses were limited. A big problem for the producers were the construction of the casemate, because the 4-men crew gets only a small
place to fight behind these big guns. The author also declared that, in addition to some paper drawings, there were only some wood models.

flakfernrohr wrote:A few more wartime German rolling stock images
Very nice pictures and good source to make all these new unit models for the game!

In Germany we have a big problem to publish these kind of pictures because there is a strong copyright law.
If you aren't the owner of that picture or if the guy, who made this picture hasn't been dead for 70 years or you haven't the
permission from him, you can't publish anything. Strong punishment looks around the corner...

With a look at these pictures I have to check out, which color these units may have ... dark olive green (Tatra/Skoda/Praga) and dark brown (Renault) or
simply "German" gray until 1943. :?:
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Hi asuser................................I appreciate your comments very much as always.

As for the pictures, I got them off the internet from other internet sites including other picture posting sites such as pininterest, forums, etc.; so they are already published by literally hundreds of people interested in such things. I did not publish them for sale, personal gain or attempt to take any credit for making them such as plagerism. That is the law in the USA as far as I know. I am quite sure all of the photographers are long dead, how long I could not say :roll: with the exception of the "artist" who photoshopped the Jagdpanther II. I never had a problem with posting images on this forum but I guess there is always a first time. :?
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Recently I made a unit that was a Flakvierling mounted on the Panzer I chassis. I thought I might as well make a Panzer I Flak 38 2cm version also, with 51 SdAhn ammunition trailer. Including the skinned German grey version.
Attachments
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AA-SdAhn51.png
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AA-SdAhn51.png (63.06 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AA-SdAhn51_Mask.png
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AA-SdAhn51_Mask.png (7.04 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AA.png
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AA.png (30.13 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Last edited by flakfernrohr on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Here is the AT version.................. The Pzr I was a fairly reliable chassis although outdated and small. But this firepower on this little chassis made a nice little asskicker combination.
Attachments
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AT-SdAhn51.png
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AT-SdAhn51.png (55.17 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AT-SdAhn51_Mask.png
Pzr I Flak 38 2cm AT-SdAhn51_Mask.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Pzr I Flak38 2cm AT.png
Pzr I Flak38 2cm AT.png (30.01 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
cw58
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by cw58 »

Very nice unit, Flak! I especially like the German grey skin, very "vanilla"-looking. My OCD makes me want to use the same color theme on all my units (unless they're elites). Is that skin your own creation? And is there someplace I can download it?
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

@cw58.....................Thank you for the compliments and kind words. Yes I made that skin and a few others. Some skins look better on different units. That is just a fact of life. Even with the vanilla unit icons the same skin looks a bit different on each one. Usually the size of the unit and the overall brightness or darkness of the original unit's "skin" color will determine that factor. For that reason I made a selection of German Grey skins/thumbs. Much like you I want my units in general to have the same color or in the case of camo, an identical or similar pattern for group identity reasons. Sometimes I designate special units with special skins/thumbs. With the German Grey skins/thumbs you can have a slight variation on your German Grey units but they will all still be German Grey if you know what I mean. :wink:

I have posted lots of links to groups of skins and thumbnails over the years I have been on the forum, so most likely you will see some over run or duplicates. They are usually listed with posts that include units, but sometimes just skins. They will be in this thread or the DCS thread.

I have a fairly large file group of skins and thumbnails so sometimes it gets confusing. As far as Panzer Corps is concerned I am a "hoarder packrat" which means I try to collect anything and everything and never throw it out.

All of the skins/thumbnails were not made by me in my DCS folders in this zip file, but probably 90%+ of them I did make. I don't want to ever be accused of stealing someone's good work. That is not my style. :)

McGuba, Guille and others have some really great skins and thumbs in particular. McGuba's Hungarian patterns look excellent on any vehicle. Also remember you can adjust the wheels/tracks, etc with the DCS so it you get a skinned unit that looks good except for the wheels, tracks, etc, remember you can fix that problem by tweaking them in the color choices of the either pink or turquoise masked items as designated. I also explained about this in a thread some time ago. Maybe in this thread or the DCS thread, I have forgotten.

MEDIAFIRE LINK TO CURRENT 1-2017 ZIP FILE OF FLAKFERNROHR SKINS&THUMBNAILS (378+/-):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z90g7yi27 ... 1-2017.zip

And here is that particular skin and thumbnail....listed as German Grey Rust 4 in the group
Attachments
GERMAN GREY RUSTY 4.png
GERMAN GREY RUSTY 4.png (74.7 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
GERMAN GREY RUSTY 4_Thumb.png
GERMAN GREY RUSTY 4_Thumb.png (8.71 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

For those of you who use unit/icons that have ammunition trailers attached, I recommend you may consider "upping" the ammunition rating of these units to play in the game. In reality most of the units that could carry ammunition trailers did when available, especially flak units and it had a tremendous effect on their ability to sustain firepower. Just a hint :wink:
asuser

Post by asuser »

Great unit form the early times of the war...and the skin also - as always!

With your permission here comes a little reworked update of the Jagdpanther II from page 25.
I made some changes of the wheels, new shadows, antennae and positioning.

Version 8.8cm and 12.8cm with standard wheels...maybe the prototypes:
Jagdpanther II 8.8cm L71_new.png
Jagdpanther II 8.8cm L71_new.png (35.4 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
Jagdpanther II 12.8cm L68_new.png
Jagdpanther II 12.8cm L68_new.png (38.91 KiB) Viewed 8806 times

...follows by...
Last edited by asuser on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
asuser

Post by asuser »

...the version with steel wheels and a new "welded on" command cupola on the right side...maybe the final version.
I checked some modelling kits for that and it looks something "real" :wink:
Jagdpanther II 8.8cm L71_steel_new.png
Jagdpanther II 8.8cm L71_steel_new.png (36.53 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
Jagdpanther II 12.8cm L68_steel_new.png
Jagdpanther II 12.8cm L68_steel_new.png (36.53 KiB) Viewed 8806 times

Feel free to make a mask for the stuff.

Enjoy!
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Really awesome units asuser. Thanks for posting them.

That 12.8cm unit must have muzzle blast like an earthquake LOL. I am sure the Pak44's did really have that effect
cw58

Post by cw58 »

Thanks for the skins, Flak. I'm looking forward to trying my own hand at re-skinning. :D
asuser

Post by asuser »

Another reworked update of the Panther VK 3002 DB from page 24.
I made again some changes of the wheels, new shadows, antennae, exhauster, turret and the very interesting air intakes
on the side walls behind the turret.
Panther_VK_3002_DB.png
Panther_VK_3002_DB.png (37.98 KiB) Viewed 8731 times
Panther_VK_3002_DB_camo.png
Panther_VK_3002_DB_camo.png (41.24 KiB) Viewed 8731 times

A lot of fun with it. Have a nice day!
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

That is really nice asuser. Really nice. The best version of this unit for the game I have ever seen and one that could be put to some good use in "what if" scenarios. I have read that the Germans really liked this version as it was an excellent and dependable design, but after more than a few veteran tankers stated it looked a lot like a T34 for identification purposes, it was decided to go with the Panther version we all know.

If I didn't enjoy making units so much instead of just playing the game (for the present time anyway), after seeing yours I think I just as well might quit. :o
asuser

Post by asuser »

Thank you for the warm words, I'm happy you like it! :D

Yes, that tank project was a good start for further developments and a guide for tanks after the war.

My motivation: There is time for playing the game and time for construction. We need each other to get the right inspiration and ideas. Only together we are strong...and the possibilities with that game are still endless.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

"and the possibilities with that game are still endless."

That is my sentiment exactly............has always been so. Endless, only the imagination limits us with this game. Like all things made by man, it has its faults and limitations, but the flexibility and versatility is there and we are allowed to tinker and play with it in so many ways.
asuser

Post by asuser »

A more dramatic version of the Panther bunkers from page 28:
Panther_Bunker_01.png
Panther_Bunker_01.png (58.74 KiB) Viewed 8574 times

Whats up with some camo foliage:
Panther_Bunker_02.png
Panther_Bunker_02.png (57.1 KiB) Viewed 8574 times

Take your heads down! :twisted: