*CANCELLED* The Path to Rearmament

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

*CANCELLED* The Path to Rearmament

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:44 am

I am happy to announce my latest mod (excluding Grand Campaign 14): The Path to Rearmament. It's a European Scenario, similar to Panzer Fury, that will have multiple starting points:

January 1, 1936 - "The Road to War" (2 months before the occupation of the Rhineland)
September 3, 1939 - "Blitzkrieg in Europe" (Invasion of Poland)
April 6, 1941 - "Awakening the Bear" (Invasion of Yugoslavia/Greece)
June 20, 1944 - "Gotterdammerung" (eve of Operation Bagration, 2 weeks after D-Day)

and there will also be a tutorial scenario that starts in February 1935 (until May '35), focussing on the reoccupation of the Saarland. This tutorial will explain the NEW features, such as industry, intelligence reports, and morale. Note this will not teach you how to play the base game.

Also, this is not a campaign, just a single scenario (120x90 hexes) that has 4 starting points.
You will be able to access the different starting points from the Axis side when you load up PzC Wehrmacht, and the Allied/Comintern side when you load up Allied Corps. Tutorial will be found in both, but will run from an Axis viewpoint. I see it as unlikely that MP will be included, as the scenario has VERY LARGE (360 turns, 3x as many men/vehicles to a unit as in War of the World)

New units added will include:

- Panzer 35 (t)
- 1936 Infantry for most nations
- Free Polish Spitfire
- Free Polish P-47
- T-28 (USSR)
- T-35 (USSR)
- PZL 62, a Polish fighter that will arrive in 1940 if Poland has not been conquered by then
- Bf 108 fighter (also was used for communications)
- Intelligence Report units (Invisible aircraft)

And many new nations are also added:

- Rhineland
- Saarland
- Austria (with units)
- Czechoslovakia (with units)
- The Baltic States (3)
- Croatia (with units)
- Portugal (might be adding armies?)
- Ireland (with units).

It will also include all of the new nations and units found in War of the World.

New features:

- Rivers, Roads and Railroads
- Industrial Facilities
- Morale of Nations
- Intelligence
- Creation of Independent States such as Slovakia
- Spanish Civil War.

Some screenshots:
SE England.JPG
Western Europe
SE England.JPG (138.22 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Crete-Africa.JPG
Egypt and Eastern Libya
Crete-Africa.JPG (100.26 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Now post before I bring the stormtroopers back!

- BNC
Last edited by BiteNibbleChomp on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Creator of American Civil War mod for Strategic Command WWI!
Discuss here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504986
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tj4t11z3ttl142w/SCACW.zip/file

iceFlame
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: The Path to Rearmament - 1936-45

Post by iceFlame » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:27 am

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:I am happy to announce my latest mod (excluding Grand Campaign 14): The Path to Rearmament. It's a European Scenario, similar to Panzer Fury, that will have multiple starting points:
This sounds really interesting. :)

I quite enjoyed your Panzer Fury scenario and this sounds like it'll be a major upgrade. Great to see the rivers, and the industrial facilities and morale are of particular interest. What else can I say? Except you're fast becoming a modding machine. Which is a good thing. A very good thing. :D
Go deep here: slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=49469

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:45 am

Industrial regions are units that appear from time to time. Every one you own will add prestige every turn (probably 20/turn/industry). They can be bombed and destroyed, just like all other units.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morale is represented by some strongpoints (can't be reinforced) at the western edge of the map, that are kept separate from the main map by some neutral hexes. The game will zoom to them at the start of each turn.

There are going to be 5 major powers in the game, each one with its own morale unit.

Germany (morale also includes all minor Axis Powers, as well as Italy, which functions as a minor power)
Great Britain (morale also includes all minor Allied nations except for Czechoslovakia)
France (& Czechoslovakia)
USA
USSR
Saarland (Tutorial scenario only).

The maximum value of morale for each unit:

Germany: 20
Great Britain: 15
France: 7
USA: 15
USSR: 20
Saarland: 3 (uses a different formula).

Formula for morale changes:

Capital of Major Nation taken: -5
Lesser City taken of Major Nation: -1 (USSR: only cities affected are Leningrad & Stalingrad - all other cities no effect)
Capital of Minor Nation in direct alliance taken: -2 (Nations used in this event: Poland, Czechoslovakia, Italy)
Strategic Bomber over Capital of Major Nation: 20% for a -1, triggered each turn bomber in position
Enemy units in home territory of Major Nation: -1/turn (except USSR)
<3 Units garrisoning homeland: -1/turn
British Convoys Bombed by U-Boats: 12% for -1, triggered each turn a U-Boat is on the convoy route (applies to GB only)
Soviet Winter; Every year around mid-December that German units are in USSR territory, USSR in the war: -2

If morale is <5, all units belonging to that nation take 1 damage each turn from desertion (except Saarland)
If morale is <2, all units belonging to that nation take 3 damage each turn from desertion (except Saarland)
If morale is 0, nation surrenders and all of its flags become enemy flags. All units belonging to that nation are locked at 1 strength.

Intelligence are randomly-appearing units that come increasingly quickly for the Allies (Axis only receive a very limited amount) as the war progresses (first on comes around mid-1940). They appear as invisible units above enemy territory, with a sight radius of 4. Their sole purpose is to push away the fog of war slightly. They (quite oddly) can be shot down by aircraft, but it will take a lot of effort to kill one.

- BNC

iceFlame

Post by iceFlame » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:48 pm

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Industrial regions are units that appear from time to time. Every one you own will add prestige every turn (probably 20/turn/industry). They can be bombed and destroyed, just like all other units.
Are the triggers random? Or are they linked to specific game events? Also are they subject to historical percentages? In other words, will maximum Allied industry always be greater than Axis?
Morale is represented by some strongpoints (can't be reinforced) at the western edge of the map, that are kept separate from the main map by some neutral hexes. The game will zoom to them at the start of each turn.
Not sure how that's going to play out, but the morale system sounds like a creative idea that could add a lot to the scenario. It certainly has the potential to effect strategic decisions based on the current state of the nation so to speak.

Just looking at it briefly, I'd suggest softening the strategic bomber effect from 20%. Seems a bit high as historically it had a limited effect on the will-to-fight. (Often backfiring and actually stiffening resolve).

Maybe you could add other factors as well, such as the loss of a hero effecting morale. Also if you named units, you could possibly add a trigger that would weaken morale when a famed unit was destroyed or surrendered. (Think 6th army in Stalingrad or the loss of the Hood/Bismarck).

And on the flip side, morale could be increased with the arrival of a new hero/awarding of a medal and/or the capture of a key piece of enemy technology. (Read: captured unit). Or even from a Dunkirk type success... Just thinking out loud here. :)
Intelligence are randomly-appearing units that come increasingly quickly for the Allies (Axis only receive a very limited amount) as the war progresses (first on comes around mid-1940). They appear as invisible units above enemy territory, with a sight radius of 4. Their sole purpose is to push away the fog of war slightly. They (quite oddly) can be shot down by aircraft, but it will take a lot of effort to kill one.
I like how this aligns with the historic cracking of Enigma. A lot of effort seems about right, as cyber war does entail a significant investment of resources. Also, pushing back the fog sounds good, but could there also be messages (e.g. cracked intercepts) leaking intelligence on upcoming events?

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:08 am

iceFlame wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Industrial regions are units that appear from time to time. Every one you own will add prestige every turn (probably 20/turn/industry). They can be bombed and destroyed, just like all other units.
Are the triggers random? Or are they linked to specific game events? Also are they subject to historical percentages? In other words, will maximum Allied industry always be greater than Axis?
Not sure how that's going to play out, but the morale system sounds like a creative idea that could add a lot to the scenario. It certainly has the potential to effect strategic decisions based on the current state of the nation so to speak.

Just looking at it briefly, I'd suggest softening the strategic bomber effect from 20%. Seems a bit high as historically it had a limited effect on the will-to-fight. (Often backfiring and actually stiffening resolve).

Maybe you could add other factors as well, such as the loss of a hero effecting morale. Also if you named units, you could possibly add a trigger that would weaken morale when a famed unit was destroyed or surrendered. (Think 6th army in Stalingrad or the loss of the Hood/Bismarck).

And on the flip side, morale could be increased with the arrival of a new hero/awarding of a medal and/or the capture of a key piece of enemy technology. (Read: captured unit). Or even from a Dunkirk type success... Just thinking out loud here. :)
I like how this aligns with the historic cracking of Enigma. A lot of effort seems about right, as cyber war does entail a significant investment of resources. Also, pushing back the fog sounds good, but could there also be messages (e.g. cracked intercepts) leaking intelligence on upcoming events?
Interesting points!

Industry Triggers: These are semi-random, as they will be given a set turn that is the earliest turn they can appear, and then a ~30% chance of appearing each turn (so they are pretty much guaranteed to appear within 2-3 months - each turn is 10 days)

Morale Set-up: I'm going to have a very large amount of events that all essentially do the same thing, with "tags" set up for each rank of morale, with each event (so we're looking at a total of ~120 events or more).
Example = BritMorale15 (tag) active + London Captured => Remove BritMorale15 tag, activate BritMorale10 tag, set strength of British Morale unit to 10, Send message to both players, centre both sides screens to morale units.

Str. Bombers: I'll change it to 7%

Possible units to affect morale: Maybe the Waffen-SS, 6th Army, X Fliegerkorps, Bismarck & Tirpitz for the Germans? BEF for the British (and French?), etc.? The only issue is that if I have too many of these, the morale base (20, 15) for the majors will be too low for even a -1 trigger to occur without driving the nation into the ground too easily. The game doesn't support a higher max. strength than 20, so I can't just add to the maximum values.

Dunkirk = +1 Morale: How would this work - the BEF arriving in France won't be automatic (remember, 1936 start). If I was just to implement it to the 1939 scenario, it would make most of the scenarios too different to each other, when they are meant to be the same thing, starting at diffent times (only difference is 1944 Gotterdammerung, in which Market-Garden is scripted - everything else is the same)

Intel: The AI is known to play quite oddly - I don't know how you would implement events where the AI is GUARANTEED to start say, Barbarossa on the exact turn (every other mod it has done it a year too early).

More news coming soon! Make sure this wins the mod war with McGuba's Battlefield Europe!

- BNC

McGuba
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: The Path to Rearmament - 1936-45 (WIP)

Post by McGuba » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:06 am

Lots of interesting ideas. I only wonder how you will be able to make all these while being restricted to a maximum of 32 AI zones. I suspect this morale system alone needs at least 12-16 zones out of that number. Will you have enough zones left to depict the actual events of the war?

Also it seems that the player will have to look after quite a lot of things to keep morale high.

One more question: if I start the mod in 1936, will I be able to play it through to 1945?

iceFlame wrote:
Also if you named units, you could possibly add a trigger that would weaken morale when a famed unit was destroyed or surrendered. (Think 6th army in Stalingrad or the loss of the Hood/Bismarck).
In that case I will rename all my ships to either Bismarck or Tirpitz. 8)
And then there might be more than just one 6th Army in my army (only to confuse the enemy). 8) 8)
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:16 am

McGuba wrote:Lots of interesting ideas. I only wonder how you will be able to make all these while being restricted to a maximum of 32 AI zones. I suspect this morale system alone needs at least 12-16 zones out of that number. Will you have enough zones left to depict the actual events of the war?

Also it seems that the player will have to look after quite a lot of things to keep morale high.

One more question: if I start the mod in 1936, will I be able to play it through to 1945?

iceFlame wrote:
Also if you named units, you could possibly add a trigger that would weaken morale when a famed unit was destroyed or surrendered. (Think 6th army in Stalingrad or the loss of the Hood/Bismarck).
In that case I will rename all my ships to either Bismarck or Tirpitz. 8)
And then there might be more than just one 6th Army in my army (only to confuse the enemy). 8) 8)
The morale system will use 16 of the zones, but most (if not all) will double as combat zones, used for planning invasions. Only other zones I'm likely to need to add are Austria, Cze's territory, Poland's territory, Italy, North Africa and the Balkans (+ maybe Benelux). That should leave 5 or 6 for advanced AI planning.

If you start in 1936, the mod will still go through to 1945. Only difference for the others is the starting turn (the 1939 scenario will appear to start on "Turn 135").

I'm fairly sure that renaming units won't affect the morale triggers anyway!

- BNC

McGuba

Post by McGuba » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 am

The morale system will use 16 of the zones, but most (if not all) will double as combat zones, used for planning invasions.
Ah, ok, I did something similar. One has to be very creative when it comes to AI zones.

Will there be any partisans? If so I think they should have an effect on moral, too.

It would be nice to see some countries changing side under certain circumstancies.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:32 am

McGuba wrote:
The morale system will use 16 of the zones, but most (if not all) will double as combat zones, used for planning invasions.
Ah, ok, I did something similar. One has to be very creative when it comes to AI zones.

Will there be any partisans? If so I think they should have an effect on moral, too.

It would be nice to see some countries changing side under certain circumstancies.
I was thinking about partisans. They won't appear as units, but will occasionally damage industries or units in areas affected by them

- BNC

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:41 am

Another region of the map:
PolandCze.JPG
Poland and Czechoslovakia
PolandCze.JPG (146.92 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
Also, the Spanish Civil War can be dragged out and used as a way to get out of fighting Britain and France early on (1938-9). As long as the SCW is going on, Britain and France will think that all of your resources are being sapped there (even though historically this proved to be total rubbish), and won't declare war on you for invading Czechoslovakia, Austria or Poland. If you invade Belgium or France, they will attack anyway.

Also, the annexation of Memel (Klaipeda today) is a scripted event that occurs at the historical time - 24 Mar, 1939.

Finally, the Axis- and Allied-player versions of the scenario will be slightly different, to make up for the AI's stupidity. The "invisible ocean" that separates German-controlled-Poland and the USSR that is present in War of the World will return for the Allied-player scenario, but as the Axis you will still be able to invade the USSR in 1939 (or 1936 theoretically). This is only because the AI makes idiotic decisions, and needs to be given some certain bonuses just to play sensibly. This is also the main factor that will cause the scenario to not support MP - which version to use?

- BNC

iceFlame

Post by iceFlame » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:09 pm

McGuba wrote:In that case I will rename all my ships to either Bismarck or Tirpitz. 8)
I suspect the confusion would extend beyond the enemy. I can just see the poor quartermaster sending the winter gear to the 6th Army in Africa while Stalingrad gets the mosquito nets. :P

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:21 pm

iceFlame wrote:
McGuba wrote:In that case I will rename all my ships to either Bismarck or Tirpitz. 8)
I suspect the confusion would extend beyond the enemy. I can just see the poor quartermaster sending the winter gear to the 6th Army in Africa while Stalingrad gets the mosquito nets. :P
I also worry for the commanders - Rommel might be sent to Stalingrad, and von Paulus to Afrika. At least Rommel wouldn't let his 6th Army be encircled - he'd do another of his trademark bold moves to get out of there.

- BNC

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:12 am

Will there be diplomacy? This is starting to look like Hearts of Panzer Corps III, Their Finest Wehrmacht!

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:25 am

LandMarine47 wrote:Will there be diplomacy? This is starting to look like Hearts of Panzer Corps III, Their Finest Wehrmacht!
It has diplomacy to some extent - the scenario will work differently depending on who is as war with who. (Great Britain thinks that Spain is sapping all of Germany's resources, and so won't declare war until the civil War is over) Also, neutral countries can join you if certain conditions are fulfilled (Franco joins the Axis if he wins the SCW and op. Sealion is executed). However as this is run by a game with no diplomatic features, it will be quite limited.

Another new feature is "general" units, that increase the strength of adjacent units by 1 each turn. Generals appear as recon cars. Most major nations will have 3 each, where minors will usually have only 1.

Germany: Rommel, Guderian, Bock
Great Britain: Montgomery, Wavell (until 1941, when he must be stationed in Basra to prevent a 75pp/turn penalty), Auchinleck (after 1941)
USA: Bradley, Patton, Eisenhower
USSR: Zhukov, Konev, Voroshilov
France: Gamelin
Poland: Rydz-Smigly
Italy: Graziani
and a few more...

Screenshot:
NItaly.JPG
NItaly.JPG (158.79 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
All I have to do on the map now is the roads and rails of the USSR and Norway/Sweden/Finland - then we start seeing new units and stuff appear.

- BNC

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:53 pm

Another new feature: Governments moving. If you take the capital of a major nation (or certain minors), they will move to another city, which will need to be taken to knock the country out without crippling their morale.

Nations that do this:

Germany: Berlin -> Munich
Italy: Rome -> Venice
UK: London -> Cairo
France: Paris -> Marseilles (this triggers Vichy event)
USA: Plymouth -> Reykjavik. (Both of these flip to US hexes when Pearl Harbour is bombed, there's no US East Coast on the map)
USSR: Moscow -> Stalingrad -> Kuybyshev
Poland: Warsaw -> Lublin
Czechoslovakia: Prague -> Bratislava (about 1 turn later the Slovaks will rise against the Czech gov't and topple them)

- BNC

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:02 am

Perhaps UK can move somewhere else than North Africa, like Edinburg. I doubt they go somewhere to North Africa with a fall of London, but with no Canada, then Cairo should be a 3rd Candidate.

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:18 am

LandMarine47 wrote:Perhaps UK can move somewhere else than North Africa, like Edinburg. I doubt they go somewhere to North Africa with a fall of London, but with no Canada, then Cairo should be a 3rd Candidate.
Only issue is how close London is to Manchester or Edinburgh - The UK was too powerful to be knocked out that easily. I didn't want to add a 3rd capital for any nations (extra coding - there's already likely to be 500 events or more) - only reason Russia got Kuybyshev is because of the industry there (instead of Urals - Kuybyshev is the eastern limit of the map), and the plan to extend the German frontier to the Urals.

- BNC

iceFlame

Post by iceFlame » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 am

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Another new feature is "general" units, that increase the strength of adjacent units by 1 each turn. Generals appear as recon cars. Most major nations will have 3 each, where minors will usually have only 1.

Germany: Rommel, Guderian, Bock
Great Britain: Montgomery, Wavell (until 1941, when he must be stationed in Basra to prevent a 75pp/turn penalty), Auchinleck (after 1941)
USA: Bradley, Patton, Eisenhower
USSR: Zhukov, Konev, Voroshilov
France: Gamelin
Poland: Rydz-Smigly
Italy: Graziani
and a few more...
I think this is a great idea. Matter of fact, I like it so much, I've already been modding something similar into my own game. (Great minds think alike and all that). :wink:

But yeah, IMO this was one of the main things missing from the vanilla game. Figures to be a great addition... Also, if you use the bonus trait, the 'generals' can act as local rallying points to boost initiative (i.e. morale) levels. So it's a win-win. :)

As for the generals themselves, if the limit is going to be three, I'd use Manstein instead of Bock. And possibly Chuikov as Russia's number three. Great idea BNC, this mod keeps sounding better and better. :D

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:40 am

I'll have to do some more research on Manstein and Chuikov then...

I'm making them increase strength rather than initiative because I want to go with the "keeping the army in the field for longer" approach - if a commander stays with an army, the army will work better with him, and will do better in combat.

I have also lowered it to 50% of the turns, to prevent a "camping strategy" - getting all units to 20 really quickly then being completely unbeatable.

- BNC

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 am

Industrial Power (if none is destroyed):
IndustrialGraph.JPG
IndustrialGraph.JPG (19.4 KiB) Viewed 4477 times
Note the 1935 area is used in the tutorial.

Full list of new units:

Panzer 35(t)
T-28
Bf 108
Industry
Morale
Wehrmacht Inf 36
British Inf 36
Regular 36
French Inf 36
Italian Inf 36
Polish Inf 36
Nationalist Inf 36
Republican Inf 36
Swedish Inf
Turkish Inf 36
Czechoslovak Inf
Croatian Inf
Irish Inf
Portuguese Inf
Commander (General)

- BNC

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”