War of the World II v1.2 (Jan 2, 2016)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: War of the World II v1.1 (Dec 23, 2015)

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

JimmyC wrote: Haha, yes. Although its my 2nd playthrough and i therefore have the benefit of hindsight, because i decided on different strategic objectives i am facing some difficulties. Although i expect that the difficulty will ratch up a notch with the Normandy landings.

Back to your mod though - my concern is that with some of the auxillary units removed, it will remove a lot of the flavor of the game and make it somewhat dull. I can't tell as i havent played it yet, but it seems there are many different kinds of naval vessels available (more than normal). So is this more focused on naval combat, rather than land combat?
I didn't explicitly focus on naval combat, but it has been expanded a bit (and the purchase of naval assets has replaced Flak, artillery and anti-tank), and considering Japan has to do half the fighting, the new options are rather important. Industry also adds a bit of strategic depth, as you will have to leave some fighters to guard Germany or your war machine will collapse (not just -150pp/turn as BFE sets it: more like -80% of your pp output). Carriers also aren't just some unit that sits around as a kind of support unit- they can now be used directly to destroy enemy ships (if you have a "Koku Sentai", otherwise known as a Japanese Tac, coupled with them)

So even though 4 of the classes have been axed, their jobs are just taken on by other stuff. Airforce will serve as your artillery and Flak, and Tanks can take on most of the anti-tank role. Recon really has no place on a map of this scale anyway (the Pacific islands are only 2-4 hexes big, and Europe has so many cities that there would be nowhere for it to travel through)

But all I really can say is to give it a go, and let me know what you think!

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
BiteNibbleChomp

Re: War of the World II v1.2 (Jan 2, 2016)

v1.2 Released

Basically a small update that fixes a number of issues I have found. Also should make Japanese gameplay a bit easier (until now I have never fully taken the East Indies!)

http://www.mediafire.com/?5qy7rhq0rjhboa0

Those who have downloaded the nazi dlc will NOT need to download it again for v1.2
12.JPG
12.JPG (23.78 KiB) Viewed 6966 times
- BNC
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

This is a great mod! The v1.2 changes sound right to me based on my experience playing to the end of 1941 (in other words I'm getting a bit of a butt stomping). I can't wait for a version that allows for an Allied campaign.
BiteNibbleChomp

Chodan wrote:The v1.2 changes sound right to me based on my experience playing to the end of 1941 (in other words I'm getting a bit of a butt stomping)
I've managed to get all of Germany's objectives by about mid-'43 before (except for America), but Japan had a habit of committing hara-kiri within about a year of moving the truck onto the US flag!

Glad you are enjoying it.
Chodan wrote: I can't wait for a version that allows for an Allied campaign.
That's the next plan!

- BNC
oninohalibut
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by oninohalibut »

Hi Bite,

apologies for not replying sooner but been playing your new mod over Christmas break (v1.2). Overall I am really impressed and like the mod and can see myself spending many hours playing it :D A couple of improvements I would like to see are

1) Ship upgrades a bit like the infantry, tanks and aircraft get improved as the war goes on it would be nice if the ships could too
2) Sea Tanker unit that could resupply ships at see it has taken me a while to get used to supplying units at sea (mainly Japan) and have on occasion run out of fuel while not making it back to base :( my bad but having a unit that could resupply would give some interesting ideas to me anyway.
3) Not being able to attack neutral units before being at war this is a bit of a cheat but you can attack neutral country units to weaken/destroy them before you attack this is less problematic with the larger country but at the start I feel this gives the axis powers a good advantage although I am not sure if this is possible with the engine.
BiteNibbleChomp

oninohalibut wrote:1) Ship upgrades a bit like the infantry, tanks and aircraft get improved as the war goes on it would be nice if the ships could too
The engine doesn't allow upgrades to naval units. And a Scharnhorst can't be turned into a Bismarck unless it is undergoing extensive redesign.
On the flipside, new Battleships and Carriers come available for all majors except Italy and USSR, so if your 1937 equipment dies you can replace it with 1942 stuff!
2) Sea Tanker unit that could resupply ships at see it has taken me a while to get used to supplying units at sea (mainly Japan) and have on occasion run out of fuel while not making it back to base :( my bad but having a unit that could resupply would give some interesting ideas to me anyway.
I'm not sure if this is directly possible with the engine either (although I could put some resupply hexes in the Pacific if the editor allows). With Germany I have already provided markers to indicate a 'safe' distance to port, even though the U-boat fuel has been multiplied and so may be overly cautious.

Japan has ports throughout a large part of the Pacific, so unless you are in 1944 and have had the massive US offensive steal all of them, I don't see it being a critical issue. You could always try looking at the fuel counter and returning to port at 50% - that worked quite well in the war!
3) Not being able to attack neutral units before being at war this is a bit of a cheat but you can attack neutral country units to weaken/destroy them before you attack this is less problematic with the larger country but at the start I feel this gives the axis powers a good advantage although I am not sure if this is possible with the engine.
I recognised this as an issue reasonably early in development, and a lot of minor power units have already been moved to the interiors of those nations (particularly Benelux, Yugoslavia, USSR and Poland). Poland is a problem that can't be fixed because of its shape, and the Maginot Line unit in France makes it impossible to buy stuff in Saarbrucken (kind of accurate as you don't want to provoke them). All continental border units have been set to passive so they shouldn't be too much of a bother.

If you consider it a cheat (which it pretty much it), then show restraint and just don't attack them :wink:

- BNC
oninohalibut

Post by oninohalibut »

Thanks for the feedback Bite.

The issue in the pacific was I was trying to invade Midway/Pearl and got into a major engagement with the US fleet and while having an interesting fight I lost track of the fuel left and how far it was to go my own stupid fault I agree just thought tankers would be nice solution to my own stupidity lol.
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

My two cents worth on naval refueling: I admit that it can get frustrating to have to return to port, especially Japanese submarines, but when you think about the time scale; namely that each turn is a month, it doesn't seem unrealistic to have to return to port after a few months at sea. On the other hand, can the route taken by the force that attacked Pearl Harbor be modeled in this mod? They sailed all the way from the home islands and back. Presumably there were fleet oilers somewhere to refuel them. How about a popup refueling rendezvous for two or three months that would simulate fleet oilers, something that might appear for the Japanese as soon as war with the US begins but only lasts a few turns? I don't know if such a thing is possible.

There are unavoidable compromises in this scale game using the Panzer Corps engine, we have to realize.

Now having played up to 1943 I am thirsting for an Allied Campaign option. I have also thought it could be cool to have the war broken down into a few basic scenarios or linked campaigns. The first would be the Japanese in China, then the Germans would become active upon the invasion of Poland, then another scenario for the invasion of the Low Countries, Scandinavia and France and so forth. Agh, I'm off on a blue sky speculation now. That's what a good game can do to you!
BiteNibbleChomp

Chodan wrote: On the other hand, can the route taken by the force that attacked Pearl Harbor be modeled in this mod? They sailed all the way from the home islands and back.
It is already possible (barely). Remember that the Jap carriers didn't actually go right up to Pearl - they stayed well out of range (so that just the aircraft can make it). Though I recommend taking them to Wake/Midway/Marianas instead.
Chodan wrote:Now having played up to 1943 I am thirsting for an Allied Campaign option.
How much have they smashed you up yet? Good luck fighting off the Pacific onslaught :)
I have also thought it could be cool to have the war broken down into a few basic scenarios or linked campaigns. The first would be the Japanese in China, then the Germans would become active upon the invasion of Poland, then another scenario for the invasion of the Low Countries, Scandinavia and France and so forth. Agh, I'm off on a blue sky speculation now. That's what a good game can do to you!
China is a campaign that lasts the whole 10 years the game covers, and cannot be defeated any earlier than about mid-1939. Poland would be 1-2 turns, France would be about 4.

Plus that would eliminate the build-up for war period and the diplomacy involved in 1938. I think the current system gives a lot more freedom.
oninohalibut wrote:Thanks for the feedback Bite.

The issue in the pacific was I was trying to invade Midway/Pearl and got into a major engagement with the US fleet and while having an interesting fight I lost track of the fuel left and how far it was to go my own stupid fault I agree just thought tankers would be nice solution to my own stupidity lol.
I attempted that in my bug-hunting playthrough of 1.1, and have managed to capture both of them. I sent most of the starting fleet and got all the battleships destroyed, so I would be interested in knowing what forces you sent.

From the seas just south of Pearl you need to keep about 20 points of fuel available - this will get you safely to the ports in the south Pacific (Maloelap and ones nearby). If you have Midway you can afford to go down to about 12.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

In the Allied campaign, would you like me to make available the option to go to war in 1938 as a result of the Sudeten crisis as the AI does in the Axis campaign, or is it preferred that I enforce the peace until Poland?

- BNC
JimmyC
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by JimmyC »

Regarding naval refueling tankers, i believe it is not possible with the current engine.
BiteNibbleChomp

JimmyC wrote:Regarding naval refueling tankers, i believe it is not possible with the current engine.
It can be done with elaborate use of zones and stuff, but it is far too complicated to be worth adding to this mod.

- BNC
hs1611
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by hs1611 »

Whenever your ships run out of fuel or ammo just let them rest for a turn or two and then use the fuel or ammo cheat.

This should simulate underway replenishment well enough.
BiteNibbleChomp

hs1611 wrote:Whenever your ships run out of fuel or ammo just let them rest for a turn or two and then use the fuel or ammo cheat.

This should simulate underway replenishment well enough.
Didn't Bismarck scuttle because it ran out of fuel? If so then that would be MORE realistic.

- BNC
MarechalJoffre
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarechalJoffre »

For some reason, other Axis minors (Italy, Romania, Hungary etc.) didn't join me after the date they should've. Although I've played the game quite differently (not invading USSR in 41, invading Poland a bit later) and such but I don't think it'd effect the other Axis nations from joining my side. Why didn't they join up?
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:In the Allied campaign, would you like me to make available the option to go to war in 1938 as a result of the Sudeten crisis as the AI does in the Axis campaign, or is it preferred that I enforce the peace until Poland?

- BNC
For that, I believe you can add that as an "option". I'm not sure if you can do that though. Great work, nevertheless. Enjoyed it so far.
BiteNibbleChomp

MarechalJoffre wrote:For some reason, other Axis minors (Italy, Romania, Hungary etc.) didn't join me after the date they should've. Although I've played the game quite differently (not invading USSR in 41, invading Poland a bit later) and such but I don't think it'd effect the other Axis nations from joining my side. Why didn't they join up?
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:In the Allied campaign, would you like me to make available the option to go to war in 1938 as a result of the Sudeten crisis as the AI does in the Axis campaign, or is it preferred that I enforce the peace until Poland?

- BNC
For that, I believe you can add that as an "option". I'm not sure if you can do that though. Great work, nevertheless. Enjoyed it so far.
Italy should join in June 40, the others 5 turns later.

None of them have any secondary conditions.

- BNC
MarechalJoffre
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarechalJoffre »

Yes sir, I know. But just no units appeared on the map after they supposedly joined up. Do I need to purchase units for them myself? Don't they come up with units of their own?
BiteNibbleChomp

??

Italy gets 9 units the turn it appears - most in Italy proper or Libya. One in East Africa.
The minors get something like 5 between them, also on the turn they join the war.

This has been the case since the initial version, and I didn't change their triggers in v1.2 either.

- BNC
MarechalJoffre
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarechalJoffre »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:??

Italy gets 9 units the turn it appears - most in Italy proper or Libya. One in East Africa.
The minors get something like 5 between them, also on the turn they join the war.

This has been the case since the initial version, and I didn't change their triggers in v1.2 either.

- BNC
Oh very strange in that case. No units showed up in my campaign on their part. Probably something wrong with my game.
AJE
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by AJE »

That is one big map. :shock: However, I think the unit icons could be made more distinctive, as many are very similar to one another. For example, the Ju 87 icon for Improved Tac could be replaced by the Advanced Tac icon, and a ground-attack Fw 190 (in desert camo) could be used for Advanced Tac (as the were IRL). The same could be done with the Multi-Role aircraft, shifting the Me 410 icon to Improved Multi-Role, and using a Do 335 icon for Advanced Multi-Role instead. Finally, there are many different options for Supersonic Fighter icons that are much more distinctive than the currently used icon, most available in the Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe Mod (assuming you get the author's permission): viewtopic.php?t=28859 (I particularly like the Messerschmitt P.1111)

In any case, best of luck to you and whatever else you plan to put in the mod!

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”