We are excited to announce, along with Western Civilization Software (www.west-civ.com), the release of the incredible v1.14 update and demo for the critically-acclaimed Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!, the renowned tactical wargame set on the Eastern Front of World War 2.
Not content with just an update and a demo release, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! is also on sale at 25% off the regular download price until January 14, 2013!
On the fence with getting Conflict of Heroes? Have no fear, a demo is now available! The demo includes three demo scenarios, as well as some of the awesome features in the v1.14 update like the Classic AP system, 2D board game-style maps, and high resolution unit counters, as well as the ability to play the demo scenarios through the multiplayer lobby with other demo players and even players with the full game.
The v1.14 update is incredibly massive, chock full of improvements and fixes to make Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! a hard-hitting wargame. Great care was taken to listen to both the computer and board game communities, and a lot of the features requested made it into the update. Getting the update will give players the option of playing with the fully-implemented Classic AP system that matches the board game AP system, as well as wonderfully-detailed 2D board game-style maps in very high resolution to complete the experience! Unit counters also received a resolution upgrade, becoming even more visible and showing dynamic stats through each match!
Basic campaign support is also present in the v1.14 update, allowing players through new custom campaigns to advance all surviving units between multiple firefights, gaining critical experience. A new line of sight tool was also added to aid for those wanting to check if they have the ever-important shot on the rear of lumbering Russian tank. For those that like to challenge human opponents, improved multiplayer support is available as well through better version checking and the ability to set game options while in the lobby.
The v1.14 update is comprehensive and will bring all versions of Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! to v1.14. To download the update, players can run “Check for Update” via the game menu or download from this link. The demo is also available here as well.
Read the full changelog below!
- A few Bug fixes.
- AI units sometimes attacking too many times.
- AI moving tanks into terrain which is likely to get them stuck.
- You can now change your game options from the lobby screen using the new "Options" button.
- There is a new button in the CAPs area that allows you to set CAP spending on your initiative roll made at the start of your next turn.
- Added preference for smaller unit information bar.
- Added basic support for campaigns. Players can now advance all surviving units between multiple firefights. Surviving units have a chance to gain experience; this chance is 50% for green units and 10% less for every higher level of experience, so that veteran units have only a 10% chance of becoming elite. Surviving units are available in the new firefight as reinforcements that enter on the first turn in the standard point buy setup area ("GermanSetup" or "RussianSetup").
Note that we don't yet have any firefights that use these parameters.
In the scenario XML file use these tags:
- GetPiecesFromCampaignName - name of scenario from which to import pieces (from the XML name tag, not the file name)
- CampaignGainExperienceFactor - multiplies the chance that units moving to a new firefight will gain experience (e.g., setting this to 2 will make green units have a 100% chance to gain experience, veteran units a 20% chance to become elite)
- Fixed crash when using Command Action to hide a unit or group.
- Fixed extra cost for uphill movement.
- Fixed AI bug for unloading units.
- USER INTERFACE: 'L' key now shows a line of sight display from the hex under the mouse cursor. An eyeball icon appears on the hex from with the LOS display is calculated. Press L over a new hex to move the display to that hex; press L over the hex with the eyeball in it to turn the overlay display off.
- USER INTERFACE: Added tooltip to show unit stats over unit buttons during the reinforcement phase.
- Board Game Maps! Available separately through our Members Club, these are new maps and a new lighting system that allows the Conflict of Heroes computer game to look almost exactly like the board game map. We've heard from many Conflict of Heroes board game players that they would like this option and we are delivering. For the official release of this update, these maps will be available through an in-game option. For now, you will need to download the additional file and unzip the contents with paths (the files go in /Data/Maps) to your Conflict of Heroes installation folder. For this beta release, if you download and unzip these files, they will replace the normal 3D maps. For the official release, both will be available.
- New High Resolution Dynamic Counters! The option to play with the board game counters has been significantly enhanced. We've added new high resolution counters with dynamic unit statistics that reflect any damage or other effects that are currently on the unit as well. Please give these a try and let us know how you like them!