Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2012 - Live Feed!

This forum is for live coverage of the Slitherine/Matrix press event to be held on the 23rd-24th April 2012 in Stresa Italy.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

khill9702
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2012 - Live Feed!

Post by khill9702 »

Hey , Slitherine is a private company and can spend what it likes on accommodations..I mean come on, they aren't the G.S.A! =-D
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

khill9702 wrote:Hey , Slitherine is a private company and can spend what it likes on accommodations.
rest assured knowing JD whatever they spent on accomodation was exceeded by their spending at the bar after the conference. :lol:
DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DJ88 »

Good news indeed...

I would like to make the following suggestions to the big bosses:

1) Release Afrika Corps as a single campaign from '41 - '43...relatively short timeframe with not that many large-scale battles. Include naval combat as featured in the original PG campaign.

2) Mac release - allow existing Windows customers $5 download entitlement with their serial # and offer similar incentives for DLC existing customers
Much rather play via Mac OS...glad to see these rare Mac release efforts.

3) Develop rewrite of Harpoon...it is really getting old could use a refresh with new modern interface. Include WWII or pre Cold War era naval campaigns. Keep it simple like the original Harpoon game.
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Day Two has begun! Iain McNeil is talking about Close Combat and it's history.
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Number of squads to control in Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has been upped to a total of 21 squads, with sizes up to ten men!

With Slitherine acquiring the Close Combat license, this will be the last Close Combat on the original engine, with a new Close Combat coming out in the near future utilizing a new engine.
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Tim from the Lordz Games Studio is now up showing the trailer for Commander: The Great War!
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Decisive Campaign: Case Blue up next in presentation by Victor from VR Designs!
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Tim from Lordz Games Studio is now presenting Sovereignty: Crown of Kings!
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Lorz Games Studio is now presenting Conquest! Medieval Realms for the iPad, which is coming out very soon! It is currently in processing by Apple.
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Conquest! Medieval Realms will release on iOS/Android tablets. 1.99 at release for two weeks.
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Pandora: First Contact is about to be presented by Lorenz from Proxy Studios!
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Ballermann
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Ballermann »

Panzer Corps - "Wehrmacht" and Panzer Corps - "Africa Corps" will the both work togehter?
The same question for the Editor?
Sorry, for my bad school english...
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Panzer Corps - "Wehrmacht" and Panzer Corps - "Africa Corps" will the both work togehter?
The same question for the Editor?
Yes and yes!
Ballermann

Post by Ballermann »

lordzimoa wrote: Yes and yes!
Yes, fantastic :P
Sorry, for my bad school english...
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

ScottP wrote:Number of squads to control in Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has been upped to a total of 21 squads, with sizes up to ten men!

With Slitherine acquiring the Close Combat license, this will be the last Close Combat on the original engine, with a new Close Combat coming out in the near future utilizing a new engine.
New engine that handles vehicles better? Like, they actually make noise when moving? 8)\

Also - COOP, mission edit5or, map editor will keep your game around for AGES. Most modern developers are missing out on these key items
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

Every time I see the term '3d' I feel 'here we go again'.

3d to me equals bad idea, fail bus, pathing headaches, then I start thinking of all the titles in 3d that are so bad they are not worthy free.

GI Combat snicker, Eric Young any name you want to give it, Theatre of War so lame they can't even get me interested on Steam with a 75% off sale. Those games are a waste of hard drive space. And all because they thought 3d and real time made a good combination. They only reason they sold at all, must be Wizard's First Rule... people are stupid (even wargamers apparently some times).

So I say it right now, I reserve the right to say I told you so if the new 3d notion falls on it's face. But I wish you well. Real time is not the enemy as Panther Games is evidence of. And it can work as Close Combat has shown. But those titles were never 3d eh.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

DSWargamer wrote:Every time I see the term '3d' I feel 'here we go again'.

3d to me equals bad idea, fail bus, pathing headaches, then I start thinking of all the titles in 3d that are so bad they are not worthy free.

GI Combat snicker, Eric Young any name you want to give it, Theatre of War so lame they can't even get me interested on Steam with a 75% off sale. Those games are a waste of hard drive space. And all because they thought 3d and real time made a good combination. They only reason they sold at all, must be Wizard's First Rule... people are stupid (even wargamers apparently some times).

So I say it right now, I reserve the right to say I told you so if the new 3d notion falls on it's face. But I wish you well. Real time is not the enemy as Panther Games is evidence of. And it can work as Close Combat has shown. But those titles were never 3d eh.
Battlefront did the Combat Mission (Shock Force /Battle for Normandy) series well. They're just not very fun.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

I think a lot is misunderstood here, you can use 3D technology to solve some problems and limitations of pure 2D games and combine the two.

I strongly believe Close Combat is the perfect example for it, Slitherine will keep faithful to the top down classic view, but by using some 3D technology in terrain and for units, you can greatly improve, depth view, shadows, animations, looks and line of sight limitations.

Just imagine you take a satellite and zoom in from space onto a battlefield top down, something that is actually what Close Combat does try to achieve, but at that time the technology was not there, it will still have the same classic CC look and feel, but much sharper.

It will not become a Call of Duty or World of Tanks pure 3D game, not at all, keep the classic spirit, but use 3D technology to overcome some 2D limitations, improve gameplay and make it look sharper and nicer.

Why do people always think, when you mention using 3D technology in this niche market, it always has to be like having total freedom full 360 degrees, flying through buildings and looking at the battlefield from all angles, that is for shooters or simulators... that is not what they will produce.

Games like the Close Combat or Panther series definitely are perfect for it, but look a lot better and have more tactical possibilities. Believe me Slith will keep faithful to the original game concepts, just tilt it to a next level using modern available technology.

You can use and mix 3D and 2D technology in my view and find a nice balance and still make great map, hex, tile based classic wargames. It is challenge, but something we at The Lordz also are looking at.

At the same time, for all the hardcore 2D purists, I`me sure we both will be offering them as long as there is demand and enough sales to pay our bills. :-)
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

We wish we were there. Good luck guys with the press corps - fickle as they may be sometimes :wink:
DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DJ88 »

Hope to see some of the fundamental flaws in Close Combat fixed such as gameplay against A.I. opponent and vehicle pathing issues. The A.I. can't properly maneuver on strategic map, gets confused in battle and has vehicles that wander aimlessly.

Ambitious plan for 3D / 2D hybrid for Close Combat. Just better to fix some of these well-known bugs to improve overall gameplay first...my 2 cents.

If any graphics are to be re-done, the soldier modeling and vehicle graphics really need an update. The scale of soldiers, equipment and vehicles also needs to be slightly adjusted.

Good to hear Close Combat will be released for Mac. Not since CC2 Bridge Too Far, was there a prior version for Mac.

Return to “Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2012 - The Home of Wargamers”