Question about Linux version

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

HMEE
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Question about Linux version

Post by HMEE » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:25 pm

I've bought the PC (Windows) version on Matrixgames. Will I be able to use the same serial for a Linux version of the game? Like on Steam, where you can play with a single serial across different platforms.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Re: Question about Linux version

Post by SephiRok » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey HMEE,

Even though the serials are valid across all platforms, unfortunately Slitherine's system currently only supports one platform per purchase, see viewtopic.php?f=173&t=46303#p437142

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

HMEE

Post by HMEE » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for the answer, although that is quite unfortunate.

Concerning the link, If available, personally, I am ready to pay you guys additional $5 for the Linux version, but only if I can play both platforms interchangeably.
I was actually concerned about performance issues of the Linux version, judging by some other multi-platform titles (including your previous one, although it was a demo-version only), as probably my OS (openSUSE 12.2) is not quite optimized for gaming, and I am getting better frame-rates under Windows.

And also, thanks for the game anyway )

OnTheContrary
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by OnTheContrary » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:38 pm

I cannot speak for Linux specifically, but I'm running the game on an Macbook Air with identical GPU. It runs perfectly in native resolution (1440x900) on High details, with Medium quality shadows. Since Intel GPU drivers in Linux are usually quite solid I would expect a similar experience under Linux.

HMEE

Post by HMEE » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I've got GeForce GTX 465 on a dualbooted Windows/openSUSE machine, with native proprietary Nvidia drivers on both. Of the two games I've tried running on a Linux through the Steam (Crusader Kings II and Strike Suit Zero), both had frame rate problems under Linux, although I was able to run them at max settings under Win. Also tried a Conquest demo version (Proxy Studios previous game as I understand) under Linux, and it was a slide show. So I was cautious about buying the Linux-only version, but definitely want to try it! But again, it may be that my Linux distribution is at fault here.

chieftain
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by chieftain » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:14 pm

I learned about this game only yesterday and I insta bought it because SMAC&Linux.
After first night of gameplay, I can say that this game works very well on my slightly outdated machine (C2D, Radeon 5670 with open source drivers). Framerate is good (high quality textures, medium shadows, vsync, no AA), windows/virtual desktops switching works, it has no problems with multimonitor setup... so overall, I am very satisfied with the performance and current state of the game.
Not sure how binary drivers handle this game, but AMD r600 works fine.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:27 pm

If anything, I would expect proprietary binary drivers to work better, but I'm not too familiar with the state of AMD's Linux drivers.

Conquest is a bit old by now, our engine has improved a ton over the last 3 years and we now use a different backend which handles interactions with the operating system better.

I run and develop Pandora with a GTX 560 on Gentoo and it runs flawlessly.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi guys

as a temporary solution you can mail support@slitherine.co.uk with your order ID and ask for an additional link for another platform.

Cheers

Iain

starmonkey

Post by starmonkey » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:54 am

SephiRok wrote:I run and develop Pandora with a GTX 560 on Gentoo and it runs flawlessly.
As an aside, I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on using Gentoo as a distro?

At present, my laptop is running Lubuntu (I use it for webdev also), and I'm contemplating switching my desktop from Win7 -> Linux. Be interested to hear of your thoughts on Gentoo.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:26 am

In short, if you like being fully in control of your system and want to keep it neat and clean, I think it's the way to go.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi guys

we've listened and you now get all formats in a single package when you buy so you can install on your Windows PC, Mac or Linux system as often as you like. The boxed version also now includes all 3 versions.

We hope you enjoy the game!

Cheers

Iain

BlueTemplar
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:26 pm

This is the way to go, thank you!

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”