What's next?

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

ElegantCaveman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

What's next?

Post by ElegantCaveman »

It might be a bit too early to be asking this, and I understand if you don't yet have/want to give an answer...

But on the off-chance you do have something to say on the subject, out of curiosity, what's next? Both in terms of what and when.
jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: What's next?

Post by jdmillard »

You mean an expansion or post-release patch?

I too am curious. I would be very interested the order of new features that will be added... like a patch schedule or something. You guys made that post about all those features that you want to implement if you get time, but I have been wondering which ones have the highest priority.I know that most game companies don't really publish those kinds of things until right before they roll them out. But we've noticed how you guys are a lot cooler than those companies when it comes to communicating with your player base (which we appreciate a lot).
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

We're still in release-mode right now, so not a lot of development is being done. Some fixes and tweaks will come probably soonish, we would like to at least do some performance, UI and diplomacy improvements, but we haven't yet decided what features we do first and what will be free.

If you think something in particular should have priority, let us know.

Cheers.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
ElegantCaveman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ElegantCaveman »

jdmillard wrote:You mean an expansion or post-release patch?.
Pretty much. Since they mentioned they still have a lot of plans and ideas, I was wondering what was in the works.
SephiRok wrote:We're still in release-mode right now, so not a lot of development is being done. Some fixes and tweaks will come probably soonish, we would like to at least do some performance, UI and diplomacy improvements, but we haven't yet decided what features we do first and what will be free.

If you think something in particular should have priority, let us know.

Cheers.
Yeah, figured it was still a bit early to get into future plans... but what can I say, I'm excited and impatient. :lol:

And, oh, you'll definitely be hearing from me... be careful what you ask for... ;)

I still owe you my "first impression"... which I started writing, but it turned into an essay. I've got plenty of feedback and ideas! I do need clean things up and make it presentable, though.
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

ElegantCaveman wrote:And, oh, you'll definitely be hearing from me... be careful what you ask for... ;)

I still owe you my "first impression"... which I started writing, but it turned into an essay. I've got plenty of feedback and ideas! I do need clean things up and make it presentable, though.
Haha. I know how you feel. Mine turned from some sticky notes into an essay into a book! I put it in the forum a long time ago and many of my points were addressed (I think they were already going to address them though; so I can't take credit). Since playing the game more, some of my views have changed too. So eventually I'm gonna clean up my "book" and add some new comments. I'll get around to posting it when the they shift back into developer mode.

I'm hoping to make a separate thread about new faction ideas that will hopefully be made "sticky." Or maybe they're planning on that already.
ElegantCaveman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ElegantCaveman »

Yeah, I really did mean to start by just giving some initial thoughts and impression... but next thing I knew, I was already multiple hours into my first game. Guess that's a good thing, really!

A thread about new factions is a good idea.

That should be done for each major aspect, really.

As nice as it'd be for us players to be able to give feedback, one of the most important things we can do is get organized.

Having great ideas is all well and good, but pretty useless if the devs get swamped under a million different posts saying the same thing.

If we want to get our voices heard, there'll need to be a certain amount of self-organizing from the player-base so that we can best put our ideas forward.
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

ElegantCaveman wrote:A thread about new factions is a good idea.
That should be done for each major aspect, really.
Not a bad idea.

Threads:
-New Faction Ideas and Input
-Diplomacy Feedback and Ideas
-User Interface and Game Options
-Text and Dialog (we've already seen this one)
I suppose there'd be more, but those were the ones that I came up with on the top of my head. However, I think I'd rather have Proxy Studios create them because they know what they are currently working on. If they aren't going to touch new factions for a whole year, I'd rather be giving feedback and commentary on other stuff that they are focused on right now instead of creating a threads that will just get buried and forgotten.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

I can for sure say that new factions are not a priority right now and I can confirm they would not be free.

Diplomacy and UI threads sound both awesome and currently relevant. Game options are also solid.

In general, threads where the first post is a concise collection of points / ideas are amazing, the question is if someone is willing to maintain it.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

SephiRok wrote:... threads where the first post is a concise collection of points/ideas are amazing, the question is if someone is willing to maintain it.
By "maintain", you mean continually updating the first post such that it concisely and effectively reflects all the ideas that are presented in the endlessly mind-boggling black hole of discussion below it? I bet we could pull something together 8) . Perhaps ElegantCaveman can maintain one and I could do another. Good communication would go a long way too. If someone accidentally goes off in ElegantCaveman's thread about some game feature that fit's better in my thread, I can pipe in and make say that I'll add it to the list in my thread. This would work even better if these "master threads" got to be sticky.

But I'd still prefer to wait a bit till you guys shift back into developer mode.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

Yep those, we would definitely sticky those.

We could even have them in the non-beta forum to get more exposure.

Tomorrow we have to do some interviews and I'm contacting some Slovene magazines still, but I think we'll be going into dev mode soon after. I do have to check on and do some more technical/engine things first, but Lorenz already made the AI use Field Training today. I think the diplomacy and UI suggestions can't really come too soon. Actually, the UI one is probably not that needed, since I pretty much know what I want to do with it, and I think it's in a good state. An excellent pin-point diplomacy thread would do wonders though.

Another good one would probably be about suggestions to make the aliens more diverse. We want to give every species something unique (functionally a device), we just need to figure out something interesting and simple enough for each. Just like Galeths for example do more damage to cities, we want to give everyone something cool and special.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

I would agree that diplomacy is the highest priority. The alien lifeforms would be good too, knowing that you guys are specifically looking into it means that it will get a lot more feedback and discussion. If someone on their own were to make a random rogue thread about it, it would get a few comments here and there then die.

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can start something up in the general forum with the perfect wording. Maybe I'll manage the diplomacy one, but if ElegantCaveman or someone else beats me to it, no worries... I'll start one of Alien Lifeform, Game Options, or some other topic. I'm not set on any particular one.
ElegantCaveman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ElegantCaveman »

No promises from my end.

As much as I'd like to be able to say "Yes, I'll do it!", I know myself well enough not to make such a promise. I have the bad habit of being gung-ho about things, but have no discipline or staying power.

Especially with my AAR, which is already behind schedule (I haven't updated in a few days), I wouldn't feel comfortable "managing" a thread right now. Doesn't help that real-life is a bit nebulous for me these days, but I'll see how things go. Maybe.
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

No worries. I'll get started on it soon. To be honest, I'm not sure when I'll have time. I have breaks here and there to check the forums, but I wont be able to get this going yet. Best case scenario would be within the week.

If anyone else who is reading this is interested, here are my thoughts. I think these threads should have a common naming convention so that it's obvious what we're doing.
Examples:
-All Feedback And Ideas About Diplomacy
-All Feedback And Ideas About Alien Life
-All Feedback And Ideas About Game Options
-All Feedback And Ideas About Multiplayer
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

I'd go for something more like "Diplomacy Feedback" or "Diplomacy Feedback Overview".
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

Sounds good to me.
umbralAeronaut
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by umbralAeronaut »

Last night I started a topic entitled Faction Balance Discussion in the main Pandora thread... then I just saw this topic. So it's too late for me to change the naming on the thread I started... nonetheless I'd like to offer that I'll monitor that thread and edit the Original Post as needed to keep up with any ideas submitted.
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

You can change the name of the thread if you click the "edit" button on the first post in the thread. I just did it to test.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

The new near-term gameplay things we're currently considering are a marketplace, per-city taxes and turning all advancements from immediate gains into one-time buildable projects.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
Teodosio
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Teodosio »

SephiRok wrote:The new near-term gameplay things we're currently considering are a marketplace, per-city taxes and turning all advancements from immediate gains into one-time buildable projects.
What do you mean by "marketplace"? A building or a gameplay feature in which players can exchange resources (food and minerals)? Or something else?
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

Teodosio wrote:
SephiRok wrote:The new near-term gameplay things we're currently considering are a marketplace, per-city taxes and turning all advancements from immediate gains into one-time buildable projects.
What do you mean by "marketplace"? A building or a gameplay feature in which players can exchange resources (food and minerals)? Or something else?
I would assume resource exchanges because if they were working on changing city enhancements, he probably would have just called it "city facilities/enhancements". Plus there's already city facilities (I forgot the exact name) like the stock market and other economy-based upgrades in the game.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”