4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

eidolad
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

nuclear standoff and other stuff

Post by eidolad » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:25 am

Would love to:

a) have option to turn off nukes (and higher versions) of weapons of mass destruction...can this make it into the next stable release? FYI I have no idea was the "proposed release feature set is" so forgive if this is already in there).

b) have someone please confirm if the AI factions have 100% radar and can see the whole map at all times. An AI faction should only be able to Nuke that which it can see, except for cities already known. Units on the move, out of sight, should definitely NOT be nuke targets.

c) would love to see a "feature set committed/in progress" so we don't ask for features already committed

TLDR rambling:

Each time I've set up measly stacks of two or three dreadnoughts *out of sight range*, the enemy thinks they are "high priority" nuke stomps them. Come on! Who invented the "no navy for you! soup nazi" Or that shiny new colony which I'm pretty sure was out of AI sight range. Really annoying and really a waste of a perfectly good batch of nukes. Oh wait, the AI just spams all available WMDs asap, it seems.

Still new to the game and really loving it/finding it runs stable and looks great. In my current game, the hard difficulty enemy techs up asap to nukes and begins to use them: the result? a tedious stalemate in which I tech up to the level 3 fortress building, build all defensive buildings in all home cities, and don't offer more than three units in a single stack or city garrison. Since it is a large continent world: a) I lose too many units due to nuclear attrition (i.e. 15+ enemy cities touching off nuke strikes, me re-building colony cities and buying all defensive buildings during the recharge periods for enemy nukes. Thoroughly trouncing the AI unit deployments otherwise...except when the massive wave of nukes come pouring in. A backup group of two artillery units can safeguard an entire front 4 cities wide. Since I don't use nukes myself, I'm just stockpiling drop pod operations for two large waves...first wave to soak up nuke strikes...the second to attack the objective.

I.e. Glacial stalemate. Got tired of it after awhile. Blech.

I find that having all AI factions as "hard" level difficulty to be a bit much and usually can't keep up. So my current game setup is to have one warlike faction set to "hard" mod difficulty in the hopes of having one really big enemy to deal with.

On a large/continent map this is great...up to the point that the hard AI faction builds nukes and flings them everywhere...the only major effect is to shut down my offensive movement except for drop pod insertions.

All in all, I'm set to play the frak out of this game if it grows/evolves more...

HitmanN
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: nuclear standoff and other stuff

Post by HitmanN » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:03 am

eidolad wrote:Would love to:
a) have option to turn off nukes (and higher versions) of weapons of mass destruction...can this make it into the next stable release? FYI I have no idea was the "proposed release feature set is" so forgive if this is already in there).
Suggested countless times. The best thing offered so far (I think, haven't been very active lately) is to manually edit some XML files and disable the stuff from there (can't remember which files or which topic the info was in, so search around if interested). However, I think it's about time the game had a built-in option for disabling things that a good portion of players have found controversial, such as WMD's. Most strategy games allow disabling of 'super weapons' and similar, as an example.

Rossthegreat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rossthegreat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:44 am

I don't rebuild nuked cities until the war is over.

And if any other faction think its' funny to steal formerly imperium Hexes.... They tend to get killed next by me.

BlueTemplar
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:33 am

I don't know if you've noticed, but prior to an orbital bombardment, the AI always scans the area first. OTOH, if you have already revealed the map, you see new cities as they are placed, even under the fog of war.

eidolad

Post by eidolad » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Appreciate the replies. I guess I will await some sort of status update from the devs on what they are working on...and hope that disable-WMDs is an upcoming game option.

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by jdmillard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:58 pm

eidolad wrote:Appreciate the replies. I guess I will await some sort of status update from the devs on what they are working on...and hope that disable-WMDs is an upcoming game option.
The devs make occasional comments here about features they are improving or introducing. I don't have a running list, but I know they are aiming at improving diplomacy in the near future. They are also looking to diversify the abilities and penalties of factions in order to make each more unique. They have been open to suggestions about the UI (but I don't know how actively they are currently working on that). They have also made some passive comments about an expansion that would spice up the mid/late game but with no timeframe for development or release. I cannot remember all the things they've mentioned, but one thing is for sure: they are still working on it and... to say it in their own words: "[they're] in it for the long haul."

So hang in there and keep giving your feedback. If it is feedback about the new features that roll out periodically then put those comments in the beta forum.

eidolad

Post by eidolad » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:29 am

good to know!

ErissN6
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by ErissN6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Or instead of disabling in game, maybe some anti-nuke device to be researched.

boulugre
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by boulugre » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:38 pm

ERISS wrote:Or instead of disabling in game, maybe some anti-nuke device to be researched.
+1, ideally we can have a quick fix with an option to disable nuke in the next update and a revamp of the nuke system ( which I agree should go trough the implementation of some kind of defense or/and more consequence for the nuke user) later when the dev's have time to look into it.

eidolad

Post by eidolad » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Any word on a nuke-disable game option or anti-nuke etc? At this point I"m happy to play Pandora as a sci-fi war game but without any of the Nuke or other WMDs.

mrowka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by mrowka » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:09 am

I can make a mod that disables all that super weapon research, but i didnt had any problem with ai using them, actually ai for me use them to little and when they use them its kinda on randome target atleast form my perspective.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”