Military Discussion

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

stiefelss
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Military Discussion

Post by stiefelss » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:16 am

I have an idea. We should split the current tank model into two: light and heavy. That way, you can control exactly what kind of tank you want to use for different types of warfare. You could have either a light or heavy tank doctrine. Light would be slightly weaker and slightly less costly than the current one, and heavy should be slightly stronger and slightly more costly than the current one (also heavy would come from a tech. Of course, I mostly like this idea because I would really like to have a model that I can use strictly for artillery (I personally convert obsolete Avenger tanks to anti-air duties instead of upgrading them to the newest model, but whatever. By the way, you might want to do something about the AI's fetish for aircraft. I wiped a civ, which was almost twice the military score as me and tons more advanced, off the map because I was able to mass produce cheap anti-air Avengers.) I know what you're going to say: "But mechs are a lot like heavy tanks!" The gap between mechs and tanks in terms of cost, power, and weapon type potential is just too wide for mechs to even be compared with tanks. You can't, for example, put flak guns or artillery batteries on a mech.

Also, make anti-air weapons for infantry. The idea that you need big, heavy flak guns to fight aircraft from the ground is so 40's. Hardly futuristic. I'm guessing that aircraft is partly meant to pick off weaker isolated targets like infantry and formers, but you should still have some way to fight aircraft without having to dedicate vehicles to the task.

One more thing. Military units should take up food resources. This would make wars of attrition far more intense and add realism. After all, an army marches on its stomach. You should be able to weaken other militaries by attacking their food.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. What suggestions do you guys have? I think it's clear that military and warfare need to be far more complex and varied.

Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Military Discussion

Post by Zak0r » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Equip your infantry with rockets and you will have reasonable antiair too, especially when having researched guerilla war.

stiefelss
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by stiefelss » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Rockets give infantry somewhat a fairer shake against air units, but it isn't really anti-aircraft. A decent aeroplane will still do decent damage to a biological unit even if it does have missiles.

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by jdmillard » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:31 am

I like that idea. I like the idea of being able to upgrade across the two tank genres too. This would also add a smoother curve to early military power. Right now, a strong early military only requires a few tanks.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”