What Is Your Favourite Unit Combination?

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

Apheirox
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: What Is Your Favourite Unit Combination?

Post by Apheirox »

This is a great thread with lots to comment on but here's just the one thing that couldn't wait: Infantry does not 'suck'. They're the only units that receive a bonus rather than a malus in any kind of rough terrain - and have a nice guerilla warfare tech to research that makes them even better at it. They also the only unit type to receive a bonus defending cities, making them the best base defenders. Even if infantry is in itself weaker than the other arms types, the fact they also only cost half as much to produce and upkeep along with their rough terrain fighting abilities make them worthwhile.
MooseUpNorth
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: What Is Your Favourite Unit Combination?

Post by MooseUpNorth »

I have to agree, somewhat, on the 'infantry doesn't suck'.

This last game, I used stacks of 4 snipers/attack and two flamethrower/pheromones, covered by basic aircraft, to clear nests and kidnap queens. Queens have the nice trait of repairing/healing others in their zone. Clearing my continent wound up netting me fifteen queens. (I then disbanded all the infantry outright to save on upkeep.)

Point is, you don't put healing mods on your big attack units. You put the healing mods on several cheap ground support infantry squads, with basic weaponry and armor. Five of these guys hanging out in a city will heal your aircraft and all defenders in one or two turns. Give 'em decent weapons and armor and they'll competently defend forts and airbases as well while they're fixing your tanks and mechs.

That frees up the modification slot on your big units for the _really_ scary mods.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”