What du you think why this game lacks popularity?

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: What du you think why this game lacks popularity?

Post by Zak0r »

Just wanted to add this:

City spamming is not a problem because it is among the worst strategies economically. The buildings that provide bonuses have to be built too and until then you will have the pop in the new city working without any bonus modifiers. Building a new city other than for avoiding overcrowding of your current cities makes sense if you can get a nice spot with 2-3 bonuses or if you need more cities for WMD operations. Simply spamming cities will just make you fall back very fast in comparison to a compact empire.

The new addon will provide seaforming and you can even raise terrain so planting new cities in the ocean will be an option.
gyrobot
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by gyrobot »

Another problem is the factions, the factions are as some people states, unlikeable with the sole exception of Terra Salvum. I don't know what the new diplomatic faction would be like but it probably be as awful as the other factions out there.
Xilmi
Pandora Community Developer

Post by Xilmi »

gyrobot wrote:Another problem is the factions, the factions are as some people states, unlikeable with the sole exception of Terra Salvum. I don't know what the new diplomatic faction would be like but it probably be as awful as the other factions out there.
Interesting point.
Terra Salvum really is the only faction that is driven by motives that I would consider ethical and good. Couple that with Vivian Gardinier being way cuter than any of the other leaders and it is clear, why this is the only likeable faction.

So in case the Art for the new faction is not ready yet: Another cute Lady, who doesn't think she's god, would probably be the way to go here! :D

Edit:

She could probably smile a little more.
gyrobot

Post by gyrobot »

Well looking at the Ambassadors I think the major problem with the factions is they were too "Flawed", now I can see the merits of Imperium of making it so warfare is effectively controlled under their watch so nations don't throw waves of youth and aimless adults at a political problem away like in the old world wars but being extreme warmongers, or DA's attempt to seek actual faith after being a criminal cult for so long, or the Dynasty's attempt to be more than their father who lived a life of luxury, and despite Salvum's goody two shoes ethic is still very much a hugbox of political activists. The Ambassadors I saw as a natural evolution of the Peacekeepers, being able to keep the peace and end wars but also a burden on the bureacracy of every nation that they protect with their diplomats and spies.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

Well, after completing one game and being halfway through a second, I think I can see that the peacekeeping of the Ambassadors works very well. A little bit too well for my taste, actually. ^^
squigsie

Post by squigsie »

because it never seems to work on steam.
Apheirox
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Apheirox »

Xilmi wrote:
gyrobot wrote:Another problem is the factions, the factions are as some people states, unlikeable with the sole exception of Terra Salvum. I don't know what the new diplomatic faction would be like but it probably be as awful as the other factions out there.
Terra Salvum really is the only faction that is driven by motives that I would consider ethical and good. Couple that with Vivian Gardinier being way cuter than any of the other leaders and it is clear, why this is the only likeable faction.
Demanding war declaration from Terra Salvum:

Gardinier: "Yes, I agree. Their corpses will make excellent fertilizer for my flowerbeds!"

Yeah. Gardinier is likeable and not a murderous psychopath at all. :roll: :D
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

What would be interresting when playing with Terra Salvum is:

Vivian: "Dear Mr. AI, you are runing the planet. I'll give you 20 turns to reduce your polution by at least 30% or otherwise our soldiers will do it for you."
Other leader: "Yeah your complaint is not unjust. We'll build more air purifiers."

20 turns later:
Other leader: "I'm terrible sorry, we did everything we could, but our air pollution only decreased by 3%. Please, please give us more time"
Vivian: "The planet does not have that amount of time, unfortunately. Prepare for war!"

I.e. the ability to put pressure on the AI by diplomacy and change their behaviour would make diplomacy a usefull tool to achieve your goals.

But making the AI react properly to this would be the hard part and therefore this is something that should not be implemented now.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

Yeah, the AI should first get it's basics together before something like that could even be considered.
But it still sounds like an interesting idea.
JurisDocta
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by JurisDocta »

dmantione wrote:What would be interresting when playing with Terra Salvum is:

Vivian: "Dear Mr. AI, you are runing the planet. I'll give you 20 turns to reduce your polution by at least 30% or otherwise our soldiers will do it for you."
Other leader: "Yeah your complaint is not unjust. We'll build more air purifiers."

20 turns later:
Other leader: "I'm terrible sorry, we did everything we could, but our air pollution only decreased by 3%. Please, please give us more time"
Vivian: "The planet does not have that amount of time, unfortunately. Prepare for war!"

I.e. the ability to put pressure on the AI by diplomacy and change their behaviour would make diplomacy a usefull tool to achieve your goals.

But making the AI react properly to this would be the hard part and therefore this is something that should not be implemented now.
That sounds nice, but what would such an equivilent be for other factions?

Imperium: Hey Bro [WHY did they make Heid such a fratboy?], I challenge YOU to get X rank increase.
SD: You are lazy and must build more...or else
DA: Your people are tired of your faithless ways. Increase X morale or face the Crusade?
TU: It is time for SCIENCE!
Noxium: Our contract requires you to raise X amount of capital [credits obviously]
Amb: You need to play nicer with your friends. Raise relations by X.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”