Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Second Pandora tournament - Pandora: Open

Post by Zak0r »

Final ranking

First day

Second day

Third day

The fourth date had to be cancelled unfortunately.

Dear community! We are preparing the second tournament for Pandora, called Pandora: Open. Everyone is invited to participate and discuss.

Here's the original topic for the organization in civforum:
http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?9 ... ost6311047

The second tournament for Pandora.

Pandora: Open

As you can tell by the name our second tournament is designed as an open competition. Everyone can take part in it and it is not necessary to sign up. You only need a copy of Pandora: First Contact and the Addon Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira. We are always using the latest BETA version.

Timeframe

We are using the window between the release of Eclipse of Nashira and the release of Civilization Beyond Earth on 24th of october.

There will be four rounds on the next four weekends. Depending on the number of participants we will start matches. Up to 7 players can participate in one match. If there are more we will split to two or more matches with even player numbers (assigned randomly). Free slots will be filled with medium AI.

The rounds will be on:
september 27th
october 4th
october 11th
october 18th

We will be playing from 4 pm (CET) until at least 8 (?) pm (CET). We will take breaks in agreement with all players.

Prizes

A nice prize for all participants will be a chance to get to know one of the devs on the second round. Lorenz Ruhmann has agreed to participate on october 4th and most likely he also will have some time to chat.

Publisher Slitherine is officially supporting Pandora: Open and will provide us with prizes for the first three places. There will be three coupons for the Slitherine store worth 20$, 15$ and 10$.

Game mode

diplomacy: free for all (temporary alliances are allowed, see rule c))
speed: fast
factions: random
alien aggression: medium
map type: pangea
map size: medium
research: three stages
victory: only military victory (not allied)
turn timer: short (adapting)

Points for the matches will be distributed the following way:

1st place - 7 points
2nd place - 6 points
3rd place - 5 points
4th place - 4 points
5th place - 3 points
6th place - 2 points
7th place - 1 point

player didn't stay in game until defeat - 0 points (defeat = changing to observer mode or ingame message about defeated faction)

If a player has to leave early for private reasons he will be replaced by AI. He won't get any points though. If he rejoins the game later he will get a -1 point penalty.

If a match couldn't be decided by military victory because of lacking time or there are more than two players left when one faction achieved victory the following rule will come into effect:
The progress for the military victory will be determined by every player for himself (mouseover military tab) and the referees will assign the missing places on this basis. A match that could not be decided by military victory must have been played for at least 120 rounds to be acknowledged. The host will create a savegame of the last round for this purpose and keep it. If there is no save available from that round the points may be estimated on the basis of other savegames.

Leaderboard

Up to three best placements for each player will be added to the leaderboard. If someone participated in all four rounds his worst placement will be erased. The first place wins the gold medal, second gets silver and the third gets bronze.

If two players are tied for one of the first 3 places a duel between the two of them will be played on a very small map with the same settings (without AI, must be played until military victory) to break the tie.

Rules

a) A defeated player may stay in the game in observer mode and watch. He will be fair and from the moment of his defeat he will use the chat only for communication not relevant to the current game and he will refrain from giving out critical information about the player who defeated him (e.g. technology, style and location of units, ingame points).

b) All players refrain from wilfully manipulating the placements. E. g. it is not allowed to leave a defeated player with one city without proper ingame-related explanation to go after another (e. g. a more dangerous competitor on the chart) player first. The merciful player will prepare an explanation for the case of conflict himself (e. g. screenshots of the game, savegame from the round or short explanation for the referees).

c) Diplomatic alliances against other players may be only formed based on game-related considerations but not with the single goal to achieve a better placement for one alliance partner against a direct competitor. This also counts for a voluntary surrender. No cities may be left to take by other players and no credits may be transferred with the single goal to disadvantage a third party (also outside of the match) or to support the receiving player (also for more ingame points).

The only exception from this rule is when the action serves the own good of the player and for example enables or motivates the other player to help him out. Both players prepare an ingame-related explanation for the case of conflict (e. g. screenshots of the transactions and the situation, savegame from that round or short explanation for the referees).

d) Every participant fights for his own victory!

Crass violations of these rules may be punished with point deduction or disqualification.

To prevent exploits MarkyMark and I will act as equal referees.

Please remember that we probably don't know all exploits. This means we need your cooperation and hints. Of course we're appealing to everyone's fairness and sportsmanship, however, we're aware of the fact that everyone wants to win and we don't want to cut your creativity. The fun should be always on the first place. May these rules be interpreted in this spirit.

We're reserving our right to work on the rules until the tournament begins and in extreme cases (exploits, cheating) even after that.
Last edited by Zak0r on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:37 am, edited 11 times in total.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Second Pandora tournament - Pandora: Open

Post by Zak0r »

additional thought:

If we get the feeling there will be a lot of participants and not everyone will be able to participate on the proposed dates then we can expand them to more rounds on different days but keep the number of three end results counting.

Your opinion is welcome!

edit:

Slitherine is now official supporter and has provided us with prizes. Thanks for that!
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Small change in the settings:

We will play on pangea to avoid having anyone isolated on one continent while other continents could be overcrowded. Also pangea will enable more aggressive and earlier wars because everyone will be connected by land.

But the discussion is still open of course.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Writing Bull and I have recorded a short teaser video in German.

Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Just a reminder.

Tomorrow at 4 pm (CET) we will start the first match(es). It would be cool if everyone came 15 minutes earlier so we can divide the players into two matches if there will be more than 7.

We will start at 4 pm (CET) sharp so it won't be possible too join in when you're too late.

Address of our Teamspeak server: http://www.the-battlefield.com

If anyone has still questions I will be on that server tonight around 8 pm (CET).
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

We're gathering on the teamspeak server http://www.the-battlefield.com right now.

edit:

First match is over. Crazy game. Thanks to everyone involved. Results are edited in the first post.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Currently we are discussing a rule change that would remove the AI filling empty slots. AI is not actively defending against agents and provides an unfair advantage to players that happen to be next to an AI city (stealing credits and science all the time). Also AI being set on another player can unbalance the game and on the other side AI is often too stupid to defend properly and provides unfair easy prize for nearby players. Therefore it should not take part in our tournament games (unless the AI simply replaces a player that had to leave ofc, that's simply a technical necessity).
Xilmi
Pandora Community Developer
Pandora Community Developer

Post by Xilmi »

I personally would be a little sad about that. I feel the existence of the AI spiced the last game up by quite a bit.

Edit: How about democratically deciding before each game?
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Deciding it democratically for each game independently would be fine by me. In the end Pandora in its current form can't provide a 100% fair tournament environment anyway because we have random maps and different factions with different properties. So it is more the question how much randomness do we accept and still have fun playing the game for points. I'm obviously focussing on the fun for everyone because I want as much people as possible to play and have fun in the tournament. Also I think it was pretty clear in the first match that not the AI decided the game but diplomacy between human players. But if someone feels our settings are not fair or not good then I at least wanted to address it. :)
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Small reminder: Tomorrow 4 pm CET we will start the second round. One of the devs, Lorenz Ruhmann will also take part. He will be available for chat as of 3 pm in Teamspeak www.the-battlefield.com.

Also a small rule change: We will play with the Beta from now on since it is finally available for steam players too.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

Feel free to join even if you're not competitive or just want to hang. I'll be there today with a friend as well.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

We finished the second match on saturday with 5 players after 5 hours. Here is the result:

5. Derto (orange, defeated) 3 points
4. Sephirok (teal, 17% military victory) 4 points
3. void (blue, 22% military victory) 5 points
2. Ail (green, 34% military victory) 6 points
1. Zak0r (red, 59% military victory) 7 points

The result will be added to the table soon.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Small reminder:
Tomorrow saturday 4 pm CET we will start the third round of our open Pandora tournament. Most of the current point leaders won't have time to play so use your chance! :D We will meet up before 4 pm on the Teamspeak server http://www.the-battlefield.com or you can message me here or on Steam (same name).
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Tomorrow saturday 4 pm CET the last round of Pandora: Open will take place. You can join before 4 pm on the Teamspeak server http://www.the-battlefield.com. I won't be able to participate but MarkyMark from battlefield will fill in for me. He will create a game around 4 pm CET so you can join if you like.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Unfortunately not enough people could take part on saturday. So we have decided to find another day to play together this week before the Civ BE release. If you want to play just contact me here or on Steam (Zak0r). We will find a date that suits most. :)
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

We will try to gather tonight around 8 pm CET. Everyone is invited to join.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

After yesterday's 6 player match (we were 7 but one had to resign due to internet connection problems, damn!) the players decided to meet again today and also repeat the other missed tournament date. Results from the match will be up soon.

We will be gathering around 6 pm CET today.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Yesterday there were only 3 of us and we decided to close the tournament because it is not likely that we will be able to gather for another match before the Beyond Earth release. In the ranking we have three players tied by points for the 3rd place. However, because it won't be possible to organize a duel or even truel, we mutually agreed to accept the current ranking displayed as the final ranking. This means the ranking is final and I have the honor to name the three winners of Pandora: Open. I will then ask for the prizes and present them asap.

Congratulations to Gzar from Poland for the third place and a 10$ coupon for Slitherine/Matrixgames! Gratuluję serdecznie Gzarowi za osiągnięcie trzeciego miejsca i wygraną w formie talonu wartości 10$ dla Slitherine/Matrixgames!

Congratulations to AIL from Germany for the second place and a 15$ coupon for Slitherine/Matrixgames!

My humble self has reached the first place and so I've won a 20$ coupon, which I'd like to raffle at the next good occasion (i.e. live event).

I would like to thank all players of the tournament. It was an experiment to organize such an open tournament. Thanks to your help it succeeded!

Many thanks also to MarkyMark from www.the-battlefield.com for the technical help with the results, ranking and the Teamspeak server, for the help as referee and organizer and of course for taking part as player!

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”