Easily Fixable Multiplayer Nuisances

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Easily Fixable Multiplayer Nuisances

Post by jdmillard »

I really love multiplayer. It's really the only way I play anymore. Here are my recent 3 thoughts:
(I didn't add this to the sticky because that thread is all about people coordinating new games)

I played a good game with my brother and a friend. We had to stop at about the beginning of the Transcendence Era. The next day, I loaded the game in single player just to see how it would work. Even though I was the only human player, the game still treated diplomacy like others were still in the game. It would "wait" for them to respond to offers ... so diplomacy was essentially broken :!: . I get that the game thinks that these human players might drop back in, but after a couple turns, it should switch over to the normal AI diplomacy mode so that you can actually get responses when you offer pacts and such. This would really smooth the transition to single player.

When hosting a loaded game, it's impossible to change what faction you control once your name is in the host window :shock: . I would really like some flexibility here especially for the situations where you have multiple people joining an existing game. Would this open up strange situations where you could switch to control a previously AI-controlled faction? Yes, it's strange but nobody would be forced to do it. I actually, am one of those adventurous people who would enjoy random self-imposed mixups in the game such as "turning the chess board" once I start to gain the upper hand (to give an extra challenge to myself... I did this back in SMAC. It was fun to suddenly be fighting against the massive armies that I created. good times).

I noticed that spectators can be assigned a team. I was all excited to try this one time thinking that they would share that team's view rather than the entire globe. Then I found out that I could still see the entire map like normal. If a spectator is assigned to that team I think it would be nice if they had the shared view of that team. This may sound like a silly request, but it shouldn't be hard to implement and it would be a huge plus to the style of play that I have with my buddies (it's hard to explain, but if you're interested just ask). If the devs don't want to do this optional feature, is there any way I could mod it in? (Probably not: I'm guessing this functionality would be entirely governed in the dll files out of my reach :( ).
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Easily Fixable Multiplayer Nuisances

Post by Zak0r »

In MP you can change your faction if you change your name to the name assigned to it. :)
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

Zak0r wrote:In MP you can change your faction if you change your name to the name assigned to it. :)
True, but not possible inside the host window... nor is it very flexible.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

I see. I have not tested it thorougly I only noticed it is possible.
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

I recognize that these are things that probably aren't dealbreakers for the average joe. I just wanted to throw them out there to make sure that they at least got a mention because I feel like they wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”