Strategies for playing as The Terra Salvum?

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

JetJaguar
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Strategies for playing as The Terra Salvum?

Post by JetJaguar »

How do you like to play as The Terra Salvum?

Do you play friendly towards alien life and refrain from fighting them? How do you best utilize their mineral bonus on forests? Do you build anything on forest with your formers (besides roads)? Do you expand a little slower because of their "frugal" trait (+25% habitat). Do you wait for others to attack your units instead of attacking with your -25% penalty? I just played as The Divine Ascension, so this reverse (from +25% when attacking to -25% when attacking) should be very interesting and different.

Thanks in advance.
Xilmi
Pandora Community Developer

Re: Strategies for playing as The Terra Salvum?

Post by Xilmi »

Terra Salvum has a superior industry-capacity in the early game, since they usually have way less pollution than others and also can switch to full industry-mode without a problem since they always have enoug +2 mineral-tiles.

However, their weak units makes it hard to really use that advantage for rushing in the early game, which they otherwise would be really good at.
You can also use your superior production to get you infrastructure up more quickly.

You can try and get a technological edge for the midgame and then try to stomp your enemies with the technological advantage and great production.

Their advantage slowly diminishes in the late game. When others have enough technologies to reduce their pollution.
It also is a tough call if you should leave the forests alone or eventually convert them to something else.
JetJaguar

Post by JetJaguar »

Xilmi wrote:Terra Salvum has a superior industry-capacity in the early game, since they usually have way less pollution than others and also can switch to full industry-mode without a problem since they always have enoug +2 mineral-tiles.

However, their weak units makes it hard to really use that advantage for rushing in the early game, which they otherwise would be really good at.
You can also use your superior production to get you infrastructure up more quickly.

You can try and get a technological edge for the midgame and then try to stomp your enemies with the technological advantage and great production.

Their advantage slowly diminishes in the late game. When others have enough technologies to reduce their pollution.
It also is a tough call if you should leave the forests alone or eventually convert them to something else.
Which victory condition(s) are The Terra Salvum best suited for? Clearly The Noxium Corporation is best suited for economic victory and Togra University is best for scientific victory, but The Terra Salvum.... I'm not sure.

How should The Terra Salvum handle aliens and their nests differently from the other factions (if differently at all)?

Also, you mentioned that The Terra Salvum's weak units make an early rush difficult. Which factions are the best late-game factions? Which are the best early-game? Which ones are the worst for early, military rushes?

Thanks again.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

JetJaguar wrote: Which victory condition(s) are The Terra Salvum best suited for? Clearly The Noxium Corporation is best suited for economic victory and Togra University is best for scientific victory, but The Terra Salvum.... I'm not sure.

How should The Terra Salvum handle aliens and their nests differently from the other factions (if differently at all)?

Also, you mentioned that The Terra Salvum's weak units make an early rush difficult. Which factions are the best late-game factions? Which are the best early-game? Which ones are the worst for early, military rushes?

Thanks again.
With Terra Salvum I usually go for Science-Victory. But If there is a good opportunity for a land-grab I wouldn't neglect it either.

I handle nests when I can do so without taking losses. This might be a little later for Terra-Salvum. If you can level a Flamethrower-soldier just enough, he will also be able to get 100% against the queen.

Late-Game-Faction is a little hard to say that way. Usually how you get out of the early-and middle-game determines how good your lategame is.

I also think that Zak0r is better qualified to answer this question.

I think Noxium Corporation might be the best Late-Game-Faction. When good tiles run out, credits become more and more important since their generation only depends on quantity of population regardless of quality of the surrounding land.
Rushing production with credits becomes more and more common throughout the game.
They get more credits and cheaper purchases. This translates to a huge boost to their production, which can help them with science, economy and military.

Solar Dynasty also is supposedely very strong in the late-game. Pop-growth is exponential and if their massive pollution doesn't stop them, they should exponentially pull ahead.

Often I also see Divine Ascension dominate in the late game. Not because their late-game is particularly strong but because they are just very hard to stop once they get rollin'. Snowball-effect is very fitting here.

Early-Game I'd clearly say Terra Salvum and Divine Ascension.

Terra Salvum because they have no problems getting all the production they want without suffering much from pollution. That makes it much easier to handle your cities and grow an onlasting economical advantage.

Divine Ascension, well, very straight-forward. Morale-Bonus + Cheaper and Stronger Units simply is very powerfull. You barely notice the lack in science early-on.

The worst for Rushes clearly are Togra and Ambassadors.

The Ambassadors aren't particularly bad for that but they just diminish their own faction-bonus if they conquer someone early on since it means one faction less to benefit from their trading. So rushing is kinda counter-intuitive with them.

Togra usually has to first solve their inital Morale-Problem, which usually means less cash due to lower Taxes. But cash is pretty important for them since their secondary-bonus is cheaper upgrades.
They become pretty good once their economy stabilizes but early on they always somewhat struggle.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Pretty good analysis imo.

In general the economic factions (Teal, Red, Yellow, Green, Orange) are lategame factions because their economic advantage has to develop first while the warmonger factions (Blue and purple) have their biggest strength in the early game with their bonus for units.

This simply means the warmongers usually have to conquer someone to make up for the bonuses of the others. The economic factions can develop their economy and then attack someone when they're superiour in tech and/or production output.

As for rushes the best factions are obviously Divine Ascension and Imperium.

But as stated in the Steam forums you can make a nice rush with Terra Salvum when the alien aggression (two possible time frames, first xenomorphs, then the big ones) starts for your target.

I have also managed to make nice rushes with Togra. The trick is to prepare a lot of empty tanks while gathering credits and the needed technologies (titan armor, attack module, cannon). Then gather in the front city and upgrade all tanks with your 50% upgrade faction bonus. This makes it a lot cheaper to pump out that army and it will come also earlier because you started laying the ground already before you had the techs.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”