Hero Unlimited Movement Issue

Sovereignty is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It combines a kingdom management campaign game with a general's level tactical battle game.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Merritttronic
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Hero Unlimited Movement Issue

Post by Merritttronic » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:55 am

Hello All,

I am afraid I have enjoyed this game a bit too much as I have logged an obscene amount of hours on it. However I will not go into why I've enjoyed it so much and will instead commence with a complaint / issue (or two). I am assuming that my game is working as the programming intended, and if so I have a request to have the movement of the hero's be changed. Currently a Hero does not have their movement stopped after relocating to a new province. That is, if there is a fresh unit at the destination province they can link up with them and continue to move even if they just arrived. This presents two issues with gameplay, the first is that you can take a hero, such as the battle mage, and bring one unit to attack a province. Play your "damage everybody 20points" spell, and then retreat. Proceed to have them accompany another unit and use your spell again. With 5 units you can wipe out an entire enemy army of 20 units, with 5 spells in one turn. The second issue is that you can attack a province with a full army and retreat right before victory. As long as you left one unit behind your hero can then accompany the unused unit to another province and again accompany an army to victory. All in the same turn. I have no idea how to program, so perhaps this is difficult to fix, so my suggestion might be stupid but perhaps the hero could just be a unit like everybody else but with spells.

The other aspect of the game that "bugs" me the most is the setup of the AI before a battle. I understand that programming an AI is difficult long work. (primarily why I would like a hotseat option) However, the biggest issue I have with this AI is that they set up for each battle as close to the border as possible, which is the worst possible decision in most cases (all cases as far as I have been able to figure out but maybe I am missing something) What happens then, is the attacker gets a "free" round of attack where they can make all of the best attacks (ie ranged and cav) and have their troops badly positioned, because before the defender gets to retaliate, the attacker can retreat back from whence they came. The simplest answer to this is to have the AI set up as far away from the border as possible AND to not allow either side to retreat UNTIL their opponent has had a chance to strike one last time.

These are my thoughts, and I think steam says I have logged 1400 hours or so which is probably at least double what I have spent going to work since I got the game and so you can see that while I have complaints the message beneath these complaints is that I have enjoyed this game to the detriment of normal sanitary hygiene and social well being...

- Merritttronic

Breca
Gothic Labs
Gothic Labs

Re: Hero Unlimited Movement Issue

Post by Breca » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:30 am

Hi Merritttronic, both points are excellent observations and well taken.
Hero-hopping like this is something of an exploit right now, and I can see where it would annoy. A forward-defense also tends to make it easier on the player. The AI has a number of issues right now, and this is one of them. The AI will also be a major area of focus in EA 2.1

Good Hunting!

Breca

Return to “Sovereignty”