A Request for one Change in the AI battle algorithms

Sovereignty is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It combines a kingdom management campaign game with a general's level tactical battle game.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Merritttronic
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

A Request for one Change in the AI battle algorithms

Post by Merritttronic » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:24 am

I've noticed the AI has the proclivity for having their ranged units attacking the player infantry unit that has the strongest defense. I've had battles where AI armies of 15 archers (plus a few support infantry) consistently do very little damage to my army as they are focused on my best infantry unit lined up with the double shield protection. It would not be optimal but I am guessing (I know nothing technical) that it'd probably be easiest to program the AI ranged units to go for the biggest possible damage infliction that they can reach (somewhat how I find myself using my ranged units). So even if all they end up killing are my weak units, at least they'd be killing something. As it stands now, my losses in even the largest battles are usually zero or one.

Ultimately I dream of having the ability to hotseat all battles as the AI is unlikely to ever match a humans ability to have the full picture in mind when making each individual decision. Not unless I win the lotto and give the winnings to a team of hundreds of programmers Manhatten Project style...

Dunadd
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: A Request for one Change in the AI battle algorithms

Post by Dunadd » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:27 am

As a player i use archery to try to reduce the hits and morale of shield wall infantry enough that i can destroy them in melee, though i also shoot just about everything else before meleeing it, since i'm playing as wood elves, so yeah aybe it should target both low and high units.

Though from remembering playing Fantasy General that can be pretty hellish when the AI shoots the hell out of one of your veteran archer units and destroys it because you forgot to put that one adjacent to other arhcers for fire support - or because it has artillery that outrange and so cancel out fire support.

Breca
Gothic Labs
Gothic Labs

Post by Breca » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:46 am

Currently, Archer and Irregular ranged attacks are slightly on the weak side at this time.
Siege is downright crushing.
Cavalry and Infantry are about where we'd like them. There will be a balancing pass in 2.0.

Breca

Dunadd

Post by Dunadd » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Siege probably should be crushing for at least some units imo (e.g treants) - it's already balanced by the fact that they move slowly and (even more) can't move and attack in the same turn.

Breca
Gothic Labs
Gothic Labs

Post by Breca » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:15 am

Yep melee siege is fine. Ranged is a bit overpowered.

Dunadd

Post by Dunadd » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:06 am

Agree there - especially the range 7 trebuchets.

Return to “Sovereignty”