Ogres, trolls, giants, far too easy to kill

Sovereignty is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It combines a kingdom management campaign game with a general's level tactical battle game.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Dunadd
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Ogres, trolls, giants, far too easy to kill

Post by Dunadd » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:52 pm

I noticed i can wipe out trolls every time with archery before they get anywhere near my troops with archery. They are far softer than Khazoth's Battle Orcs, when they should be far tougher than them. They need higher armour (at least 3 to represent thick hides and toughness), plus a high Heal to represent regeneration.

Ogres need higher armour too - at least 2, and upgradeable to 3.

Giants are pretty weak too - they should be tough enough that only the most devastating things can harm them much (cavalry charges, other large creatures, magic, artillery etc)

Breca
Gothic Labs
Gothic Labs

Re: Ogres, trolls, giants, far too easy to kill

Post by Breca » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:41 pm

Giants, dragons and the like fall into "Single Entity" type, as opposed to a "Group" such as pikemen or longbowmen.

When a Group is damaged, individuals within the Group are considered to be slain. As a result, unit pikemen deal decreasing damage as they themselves become damaged. However, because there are fewer of them to target with ranged attack, they can also avoid damage from ranged attacks more readily, as they become damage. This has the effect of ranged attacks "softening" regular infantry, but being less effective at eliminating regular "Group" units.

When a Single Entity like a Giant is damaged, it continues to deal the same damage as it did when it was at full life. This makes it formidable in pitched battles. However, Single Entities are vulnerable to ranged fire. They take equal damage from ranged fire, no matter what their life looks like. This means that if you see a Giant or a Dragon, ranged attacks are deadly against them.

Dunadd

Re: Ogres, trolls, giants, far too easy to kill

Post by Dunadd » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:11 am

That makes sense to the extent that ranged attacks shouldn't get less effective against them once they've taken hits - but it still doesn't make much sense to give trolls, ogres and giants zero defence. I can't think of a fantasy book in which they aren't tough and hard to kill - especially trolls - tough hides, equivalent to armour.

Return to “Sovereignty”