Close Combat Panthers in the Fog announced!

The latest in release the award winning Close Combat series is 32 bit colour, with improved AI and an enhanced campaign layer.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Close Combat Panthers in the Fog announced!

Post by IainMcNeil »

We're delighted to announce we have acquired the Close Combat franchise, code base and everything associated with it. This is great for us, great for the game and great for the fans! It will be the last release on the old engine and in 2013 we'll be moving ahead with a Unity engine version. Panthers in the Fog is a full new game, not based on any existing CC game.

Overview:
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the latest release in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history?
Play single battles, linked operations, or even the Grand campaign simulating all six crucial days of fighting. With 35 linked battlefields and historically accurate formations and units, strategic choices are as important as tactical prowess. New features of long-range interdiction, strategic high ground and adverse weather conditions bring an insight into the challenges faced by those who commanded both sides in this pivotal WW2 battle.
For the Allies the Normandy landings of June were followed by two months of hard fighting in difficult terrain against a tenacious German defense. But in late July the US Army’s Operation Cobra has finally created a decisive breach in the weakened German line. Patton’s 3rd Army races through the opening along the western coast of France and into the clear, driving for the Brittany Ports. Faced with the choice between retreat and last-ditch counter-attack, the Germans struggle to assemble a panzer force for one more charge. Can the Germans move quickly enough to overcome a desperate situation, push through to Avranches on the French coast, and cut off Patton’s racing spearheads? Or will the thinly stretched Americans troops screening Patton’s flank be able to hold out, regroup, and hold the vital lifeline open.

Important Features:
• Over 50 historically accurate key units and 47 weapon types rendered in exact detail
• Campaign map with 35 unique regions to fight over.
• Command up to 21 squads at a time, and each squad can contain up to 10 men.
• Improved 32 bit graphics allowing smoother, more realistic maps, more varied trees and improved effects
• Refined front end and UI design making the game easier to play and updating the UI to more modern standards.
• Improved force selection more accurately reflects WW2 formations meaning formations cannot be re-customised every battle. Losses and fatigue must be managed and platoons are historically balanced
• Enhanced multiplayer experience using Slitherine’s integrated lobby, match making systems and routing server, which mean it’s never been easier to find an opponent and just play!
• Improved High Level Gameplay brings the strategies of the battle to life with
o Animated maps showing the progress of attacks and troop movements with new clarity
o Holding high ground allows players to observe distant enemy troop movements.
o Choose whether to allocate your air and artillery as close support for your own troops, or to interdict distant enemy formations.
• Fog of war hides enemy formation
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Close Combat Panthers in the Fog announced!

Post by MajVonRyan »

Hi Iain,

Sounds good, looking forward to it's release :D
Kanov_Slitherine
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Kanov_Slitherine »

Can't wait!

This point intrigues me:
Animated maps showing the progress of attacks and troop movements with new clarity
What does animated mean in this context?
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Kanov wrote:Can't wait!

This point intrigues me:
Animated maps showing the progress of attacks and troop movements with new clarity
What does animated mean in this context?
There will be animated events shown on the strategic map -- Battle Group movement, interdiction, etc.
Kanov_Slitherine

Post by Kanov_Slitherine »

There will be animated events shown on the strategic map -- Battle Group movement, interdiction, etc.
Sounds kind of cool, I'm imagining something like Hearts of Iron with the animated view on, close?
Theel
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Theel »

Awesome!

I've bought all the remakes and I've played through a campaign on LST, WaR, and TLD. I'd would absolutely adore you if you added co-op multiplayer abilities. Also because I usually just smash the AI into bits, if you could make a hard-mode in addition to the co-op mode. Even with the handicap sliders in favor of the AI and not in favor of me, the AI isn't much a challenge. I'd love a hard-core mode that limits you even further than the handicap sliders do. (Nerfing the mortars would make me very much less effective against the AI.)

So to recap:
1) Co-op multiplayer (campaign especially)
2) Harder mode against AI (even more handicap slider modifications)

These two additional features is a guaranteed buy from me. And I'd prob even buy 2 copies! (one for my friend)

One can only hope :S
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Kanov wrote:

Sounds kind of cool, I'm imagining something like Hearts of Iron with the animated view on, close?
Yes and no -- there won't be little animated soldiers walking on the strategic map. But the player will be 'stepped through' the events as they occur on the strategic screen, and the icons will be shown moving, explosions for artillery or airstrikes that occur on the strategic map, etc.
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Theel wrote:So to recap:
1) Co-op multiplayer (campaign especially)
2) Harder mode against AI (even more handicap slider modifications)
Thanks for your suggestions. Co-op multi-player would be a great feature alright, but isn't likely for Panthers in the Fog. We are planning some tweaks to the AI and to game play in general to help the AI be a bit more of a challenge, though. As for mortar teams, they are going to be changed to have a bit more realistic response time.
Theel

Post by Theel »

Thanks for the reply. It's completely understandable as adding co-op would probably require a large rewrite of the multiplayer code. And better time could be spent on further titles. I'm glad about the mortar response time, they are OP imo. I'm still surprised that this engine/game has as much content as it does. It's what keeps me playing and coming back for more though. I'll be buying PitF when it comes out! Oh also I'm a bit confused is it still gonna be published by Matrix Games? Or do I need to buy it from Slitherine? These company names are still new to me honestly. Closecombatseries.net is how I found out about the remakes!
Blitz1945
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Blitz1945 »

Is it going to be open to beta testing? Can we sign up soon for that??!!
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Blitz1945 wrote:Is it going to be open to beta testing? Can we sign up soon for that??!!
Though I can't confirm anything specific at this time, I think it is safe to say that any announcements about beta applications will be made very loudly. :)
Blitz1945
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Blitz1945 »

I cannot wait!!
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Theel wrote:Thanks for the reply. It's completely understandable as adding co-op would probably require a large rewrite of the multiplayer code. And better time could be spent on further titles. I'm glad about the mortar response time, they are OP imo. I'm still surprised that this engine/game has as much content as it does. It's what keeps me playing and coming back for more though. I'll be buying PitF when it comes out! Oh also I'm a bit confused is it still gonna be published by Matrix Games? Or do I need to buy it from Slitherine? These company names are still new to me honestly. Closecombatseries.net is how I found out about the remakes!
Matrix and Slitherine are partner companies. You can buy from either and the games you buy from them will be identical and compatible.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog”