next gen CC question

The latest in release the award winning Close Combat series is 32 bit colour, with improved AI and an enhanced campaign layer.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

sshnuke
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: next gen CC question

Post by sshnuke »

According to Iain:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3369009

Gateway to Caen is a new announcement. it is based on the Panthers in the Fog engine and is in addition to the 3D unity version due next year.
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan »

sshnuke wrote:According to Iain:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3369009

Gateway to Caen is a new announcement. it is based on the Panthers in the Fog engine and is in addition to the 3D unity version due next year.
Thanks sshnuke, the screen shots look good.
sshnuke

Post by sshnuke »

According to Matrix guys

Gateway to Caen is based on PITF engine

And next year there will be true 3D CC named the Bloody First
Gun_Pierson
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Gun_Pierson »

manoi wrote:Thanks for your answers

2) Buildings (I assume this is what you mean) will probably still be somewhat abstract, with infantry able to enter or leave by going through the wall instead of using doors and window

curious to see how the game engine will use the 3D objects then. the possibility to go through the wall have always bother me for unit entering a multiple floors building.

4) I assume you mean floors within a building -- what I want to do is allow the player to control what floor an infantry unit is on by being able to order them to go up/down floors within a building. This does introduce some UI issues (how do you tell what floor they're on? How do you order them to go up/down? How do you select units when one is directly above another in the same building, etc) but I think we'll be able to solve them.

yes a lot of problems to solve! good luck! ;) and don't forget the hand to hand battles in buildings with multiple floors : one challenge more!
I can understand the buildings stay somewhat abstract, however the floor problem seems tricky as there you want to make it overly complicated. And like you said it will have an impact on the UI which should be simple. I suggest you have a look at 'Men of War' if you haven't done already to see what they came up with. Not that I find it a particular brilliant example, but I think in a squad based game like CC, you can easely screw up. Many ideas look good on paper till you see the implementation.
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Gateway to Caen will be coming out sometime in early 2014. The Bloody First will be released in mid-late 2014. Some specifics were discussed at Historicon last summer -- I haven't chased down all the press articles from that time but if you google 'historicon slitherine' I expect you can find it. Other than that we haven't made any official announcements. Was there a specific feature / question you were interested in?

Steve
Gun_Pierson

Post by Gun_Pierson »

SteveMcClaire wrote: Was there a specific feature / question you were interested in?

Steve
There are so many lol but my main ones would be: Will you be able to play the campaign in co-op mode with one or more players?

I looked up a few articles about 'historicon slitherine', one thing I noticed is the improved 'AI pathfinding'. I know you use the Unity engine for 3D graphics but are you still using the original CC engine for AI?
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Gun_Pierson,

We are discussing a co-op mode for The Bloody First. Gateway to Caen will not have a co-op mode.

The Bloody First will be the first game using the new 3D engine, and while the AI will share some design similarities to the original CC code, it will be all new.

Steve

Return to “Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog”