So....how is it?

The latest in release the award winning Close Combat series is 32 bit colour, with improved AI and an enhanced campaign layer.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

So....how is it?

Post by MikeAP »

Reviews? What does everyone think? I didn't even know the game was coming out today

I'm on the fence with this one.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: So....how is it?

Post by Kerensky »

MikeAP wrote:Reviews? What does everyone think? I didn't even know the game was coming out today

I'm on the fence with this one.
I'm in the exact same boat. Anyone have any information? I adored the early Close Combat games, especially Bridge Too Far, but after that they really seemed to slide into mediocrity and bad AI of both enemy in general as well as player tank pathing. Is this a title worth picking up?
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvADHrcfS3I

It looks like there are some graphical improvements with explosions and smoke, but other than that it looks exactly the same as most other releases....including choppy movement of both infantry and tanks.

and tanks still don't make any noise when they move...
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

This video is from an unlicensed beta version so don't read too much in to it. I don't even know how old the version is or what kind of PC it is running on. This is a breach of the NDA and we are exploring what action to take.

The real previews by the press on Armchair General and Wargamer.fr have been very positive so I would check the real information rather than the thoughts of a disgruntled beta tester.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

IainMcNeil wrote:This video is from an unlicensed beta version so don't read too much in to it. I don't even know how old the version is or what kind of PC it is running on. This is a breach of the NDA and we are exploring what action to take.

The real previews by the press on Armchair General and Wargamer.fr have been very positive so I would check the real information rather than the thoughts of a disgruntled beta tester.
I hope you're actions aren't too drastic. This is the only gameplay video I've seen anywhere.

Sometimes an un-cut, un-narrated video of raw gameplay is the best review.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Anyone who has the released version is free to do so. The beta testers are not allowed to release information on beta versions. They signed a legal agreement that specifically forbids this. They never even saw the final versions so we know its not a release build but we just don't know how old it is. This is a huge issue and we will be taking taking legal advice on this matter. This type of action puts the whole beta process in jeopardy and we will not allow one bad beta tester to ruin a process that's worked well for over a decade.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

IainMcNeil wrote:Anyone who has the released version is free to do so. The beta testers are not allowed to release information on beta versions. They signed a legal agreement that specifically forbids this. They never even saw the final versions so we know its not a release build but we just don't know how old it is. This is a huge issue and we will be taking taking legal advice on this matter. This type of action puts the whole beta process in jeopardy and we will not allow one bad beta tester to ruin a process that's worked well for over a decade.
I hear ya. NDA's are bounding legal documents. Hopefully you can get the guy to take it down before you have to pursue legal action. That stuff costs money, last time I checked!

Just curious though; Is the gameplay in this video that much different than the release version?
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The video doesn't really show off any of the new features (like mounting infantry and guns on vehicles, or mortar targeting, etc) so yes, you're just seeing the basic game play. That is going to be largely the same.

The scrolling and the animations are smoother in the release version. It looks like this may be a press preview build we made a few weeks ago. It also looks like there might be some frame rate issues during recording or with the video itself as it seems a little jerky / stuttery.
Sam808
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Sam808 »

For $49.99 it better be amazing! Really, I own 6 different versions of CC. The last 2 I bought were re-makes. After the last one I refuse to buy any more unless the price is much lower. Around $10 I think is a fair price. I don't think I paid $49.99 back when CC was cutting edge game development.

Another Western Front game! No offense, but Normandy is like the *White Bread* theater.

I apologize if I seem a bit rude here, but I have plenty of CC games, and I can gladly hold out for a price drop, or never buy it at all! Over the years, I feel taken a bit advantage of when it comes to CC. Many other games this old are abandonware by now.

$49.99?
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

SteveMcClaire wrote:The video doesn't really show off any of the new features (like mounting infantry and guns on vehicles, or mortar targeting, etc) so yes, you're just seeing the basic game play. That is going to be largely the same..
Not nit-picking...but mounting infantry was in Close Combat Modern Tactics. I keep seeing this publicized as a new feature. :wink:
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Sam808 wrote:$49.99?
No offense taken, and thanks for your feedback. The download version is US $39.99, if that helps with your purchasing decision.
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

MikeAP wrote:
SteveMcClaire wrote:The video doesn't really show off any of the new features (like mounting infantry and guns on vehicles, or mortar targeting, etc) so yes, you're just seeing the basic game play. That is going to be largely the same..
Not nit-picking...but mounting infantry was in Close Combat Modern Tactics. I keep seeing this publicized as a new feature. :wink:
Modern Tactics is a bit of a special case, as it really is somewhat distinct from the rest of the CC series. But yes, you're right that you can mount infantry in vehicles in MT. You could not, however, tow guns.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

SteveMcClaire wrote:Modern Tactics is a bit of a special case
It was, indeed. If it were to be re-made and/or revitalized, lets say, in a new 3d engine I think it would do well on the market.
Last edited by MikeAP on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

IainMcNeil wrote:This video is from an unlicensed beta version so don't read too much in to it. I don't even know how old the version is or what kind of PC it is running on. This is a breach of the NDA and we are exploring what action to take.

The funny thing about that review is its being endorsed by Matrix Games on the product info page.

"Feels fresh enough and brings enough new things to make even CC veteran excited"
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Lets see what the player say. So far there hasn't been much feedback so I guess they're all busy playing!
xambrium

Post by xambrium »

I like it! But! omg 2-5 men squads back, if you meet german feldjäger as a 2 men unit you go to the jail :twisted:

I hope a vet mod comes out quickly to fix this "bug" with this small units..

Beta testers and programmers should play CC5 "Meuse Mod" to see whats to be an Company Comannder..

I feel soo often lost on the map with my "special ops" team and lying in the grass crying for the bigger part of my company... :shock:
manoi
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by manoi »

don't fire the beta testers : they test but don't decide the features of the final version!!! Thanks!
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

xambrium wrote:I like it! But! omg 2-5 men squads back, if you meet german feldjäger as a 2 men unit you go to the jail :twisted:
In the game an infantry squad is actually made up of 2 teams, each with 4-6 men at full strength, depending on the actual historical organization of the unit. So a US rifle squad has 2 x 6 man teams. A German PzGrenadier squad has 2 x 4 or 5 man teams. If you play at high difficulty you'll have reduced strength units, and this can result in 2 man teams, but not 2 man squads. If you prefer to play with full strength teams you can always play on lower difficulty level.
xambrium

Post by xambrium »

Difficulty sttings should not change historical settings or facts, only give the enemy more resources.. :wink:

Matter of fact we have now more controle over the squads but less manpower at all..but much bigger maps.
This is what i dont like, more micro management on much bigger maps than before (CC5 was the last true release).

I just hope for an Vetmod who will change this to the old style so i can be a company commander again.. :wink:

All the other stuff is great, i am playing only grand campaign in CC games and the new mechanics are lovely..grafics ar also.. 8)

PS: i always play vet vs vet :mrgreen:
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

xambrium wrote:Difficulty sttings should not change historical settings or facts, only give the enemy more resources.. :wink:
Difficulty settings in PitF change 'historical' force makeup much less than previous versions of the game did. At higher difficulties your units simply start understrength and get less replacements. In previous games you'd often get whole new unit types (like say Tigers) only at higher difficulty settings.

Return to “Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog”