Map scroll speed issues, unplayable

The latest in release the award winning Close Combat series is 32 bit colour, with improved AI and an enhanced campaign layer.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

timc424
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Map scroll speed issues, unplayable

Post by timc424 »

I am hoping someone can help me with my map scroll speed, its so fast it jumps instantly from one side of the map to the other when i move my mouse. I have an I7 GTX 970 windows 7. It makes the game unplayable. It is the same problem i have with my original Close combat games. Thats why i spent $40, so that i could enjoy a modern supported version. Please help!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Map scroll speed issues, unplayable

Post by zakblood »

you can try changing the compatibility settings for the program, run as xp sp3 etc, as admin and see if that slows it down any, then also put the game on max settings, not that on your rig it will make any difference, as it's high end tbh, good luck and let us know how you get on
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

This is a not a general problem with Gateway to Caen -- the scrolling should be fine regardless of your processing power. I suspect it might be something to do with your mouse sensitivity settings. You could try adjusting these to see if they effect the issue, and you can also go into the game options and turn the scroll speed down to 'slow' to see if that helps.

There are several methods for scrolling the screen that you can try too: You can use the arrow keys, and also try clicking and holding on the map until you get the 'drag' mouse cursor, then move the mouse around with the button held down. If the arrow keys work differently than the edge scroll / drag scroll. this is something to do with the mouse.

Steve
CommanderVictimizer

Post by CommanderVictimizer »

Thought, on a whim, I would get this dear old game (Close Combat Bloody 1) on my Dell laptop to take on the road with me. Moving around with a mouse or scroll pad is unplayably slow. It loads fine, but once I get in game mode, its as if I'm directing traffic underwater. I have Windows 10 home edition, 6 GHz RAM, 1.9 GHz processor.
I do not have a gamer desktop, and really don't care to purchase one. Got a Playstation for that. Are there any laptops out there that would allow me to play
this game passably? CommanderVictimizer
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

CommanderVictimizer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 pm Thought, on a whim, I would get this dear old game (Close Combat Bloody 1) on my Dell laptop to take on the road with me. Moving around with a mouse or scroll pad is unplayably slow. It loads fine, but once I get in game mode, its as if I'm directing traffic underwater. I have Windows 10 home edition, 6 GHz RAM, 1.9 GHz processor.
I do not have a gamer desktop, and really don't care to purchase one. Got a Playstation for that. Are there any laptops out there that would allow me to play
this game passably? CommanderVictimizer
The thread you posted into is for Panthers in the Fog. But it sounds like you have purchased The Bloody First? If this the case then, yes, the game is likely going to require lowering the graphics settings on a laptop without a decent video card. If you hit SHIFT+Q while in battle it will show the framerate. Disabling Ground Clutter and altering the shadow quality in the options will improve performance.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
nats
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by nats »

Yes I have this map scrolling problem as well (just mentioned it on the Steam game forum as well) , and yes it is in Panthers in the Fog! Mouse is uanble to control the scrolling the screen zips across from one side of the map to the other. If I place the mouse pointer mm from the map edge the map sometimes moves more slowly. And if I have a move order in the process of being carried out the map moves more slowly. But otherwise it is completly uncontrollable. This doesnt happen in my other Steam CC game "Cross of Iron". So it is definitely a game issue, not my hardware. I might have just spent £7.50 on it but I still am yet to get even that much worth out of it, only played one mission to date because of the terrible scrolling.

And its not just me!! There are loads of posts about this lousy mouse scrolling all over the internet - some about the original games from twenty years ago!! So how on earth is this still being carried over into more recent games like Panthers in the Fog? Yet its fixed in Cross of Iron which is remake (or never existed in the original game)?
    • Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:36 pm Post subject: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games?

Hello, i'm fairly sure this has been bought up many times but is there a proper way to fix the scroll speed in the old games? And yes I know I can use arrow keys but I want to see if you can fix the scrolling with the mouse.

This problem happens in CC1 - CC5. In CC2 the scroll speed is only normal whenever you are dragging out an order or moving a unit in the deployment, but is hyper speed if you are not doing those things. Also funnily enough the scroll speed seems to be fine in the CC1 demo, yet in the full game it's as bad as the others, this suggests that the demo has some sort of framerate limit? and for the rest of the games it's hyper speed regardless.

My specs incase that is relevant:
      CPU: AMD A10-6800k (quad core)
      GPU: AMD HD 7950
      Ram: 8GB DDR3

Things I have tried are:
      Compatibility mode
      Cpu killer program (This doesn't fix it, it just makes the game jerky for me)
      Changing the affinity to 1 core
      Lowering cpu usage in power options (the lowest it lets me go is 2GHz)
      Starting the games with CC starter
      And all at the same time

And none have really fixed it, it still just jumps to the other end of the map whenever i move the cursor to the edge of the screen for a millisecond.
      Is there a way to cap the framerate maybe?
"It's life Jim, but not as we know it"
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

The games use different versions of DirectX etc, so one working has no bearing on the other. The first thing I would ask is, are you running in fullscreen or windowed mode? If in fullscreen you should check whether your graphics card settings have vsync disabled.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Retief2
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Retief2 »

I am playing multiplayer Forgotten Armies. We are playing both sides. In the one where I am the British, I randomly see during the last turn playback the scrolling around the screen slow down and become jerky. When it comes times to do my turns I can barely control the mouse or track its movement. It is jerky, sometime unresponsive, orders are ignored and just massively unplayable. It did this a couple of turns into the game for a couple of turns, then went back to normal for quite a few turns. It just started again and it is totally unusable. I didn't want to resign, but may have to. And yet the same scenario where I am the Japanese, I have had no problems. I have also never experienced this in any other scenario (multiplayer or not) that I am playing at the same time. My opponent is not experiencing any of these problems. Its like it hits a glitch in playback and drops down to 286 equivalent slow mode. Could something flip all hardware acceleration off? Can I flip it back on again? Restarting and rebooting do not solve the problem. It just glitches mid turn playback. Is there away to not play back the previous turn and skip past it?

Its no just the map scroll speed, it it also the mouse movement jerkiness and hard to track. The newest version also ignores my larger pointer I used to have before the update. Now it is 4K and hard to see.

I have also tested different screen resolutions and game settings. Nothing helped. Help! :?
I'd put something witty or profound here, but I would need to be witty or profound and not a plagiarizer.

Return to “Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog”