128mb Graphics Card

The latest in release the award winning Close Combat series is 32 bit colour, with improved AI and an enhanced campaign layer.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

Bread51
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

128mb Graphics Card

Post by Bread51 »

Hope someone can offer some advice. Just bought a new laptop - i7 chip, 520 Intel mobile graphics card and 8mb ram. But the graphics card only has 128mb ram not the suggest 256mb for this game. What will happen if I try and run Panthers in the Fog? Thanks.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: 128mb Graphics Card

Post by zakblood »

dedi ram and shared ram are key to performance, with dedi ram being faster, shared ram being slower, as your system has 8gb of ram, a 64bit o/s, will be fine with 6gb for o/s and share 2gb with GPU, so while not as quick as a dedi card, it should be fine, you will just have to make sure you give it in bios some more ram to work that's all, most games require a minimum spec, and most also say dedi ram and not shared just in case, but on newer hardware it's not the issue it used to be on older hardware, but on some games, the performance will take a bigger hit again as while the cpu and memory also does the work of the GPU, it's can't be as quick as a dedi card, which takes over and lets the cpu work on it's own.

as your question says what will happen :?:

well imo it will work, but slower, as long as you move across some ram that is, then hopefully you will or should be fine, there are an odd pc / game that doesn't like it, but rare now days, but i'm not saying 100% either it will or won't work, just in my opinion only, it should be fine :wink:

good luck if you go ahead, you already own it?
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Re: 128mb Graphics Card

Post by SteveMcClaire »

goodelgin wrote:Hope someone can offer some advice. Just bought a new laptop - i7 chip, 520 Intel mobile graphics card and 8mb ram. But the graphics card only has 128mb ram not the suggest 256mb for this game. What will happen if I try and run Panthers in the Fog? Thanks.
The game itself will not prevent you from running on a card below the minimum specs. As Zakblood says, it will probably just run slower than it would on a card with more on-board memory. It is possible you may get graphics related errors if there is some DirectX feature the game uses which your card does not support -- I think this is unlikely, but I can't rule it out.

Steve

Return to “Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog”