The Spring Clash Tournament is over - it's time for PAYBACK!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

The Spring Clash Tournament is over - it's time for PAYBACK!

Post by AlbertoC »

Capote triumphed over his foes, finishing first in the Spring Clash Tournament for Battle of the Bulge.

Dust hasn't settled on the ground yet, and generals are still counting their dead, while Capote looks victorious upon the conquered battlefield. But new pretenders to the title of champion rise up. Will he manage to defend his title?

It's time for a new TOURNAMENT!

Join the Payback Battle of the Bulge Tournament and see if you have what it takes to become a champion yourself (and win a nice prize from Slitherine).

Click here to join!

edit: Tournament is on-going, see the scores here:

http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/s ... =2&aPage=1
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Re: The Spring Clash Tournament is over - it's time for PAYB

Post by Huragan »

Huragan reporting for duty :)
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Agrippa Maxentius will take part in the tournament and capture videos of his games to publish on our channel!
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

Hi Alberto

I am certain that most people are blissfully unaware that a new tournament has been scheduled (I base this on the response I got from 2 former opponents of the last tournament). If you have the power... opt in from any of the BotB registered owners to receive Slitherine bulletins and emails, I suggest you conduct an email blast with a nice graphic poster stylized to resemble a recruitment poster from the war years and than gauge the response.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

This kicks off at midday GMT tomorrow! 17 players so far, room for more.. which of you will get the pleasure to destroy Agrippa ;-)

edit: We've had to delay start until Monday 15th, sorry about that!
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

Shards, Technology is wonderful.... when it works :)

I think we are OK for this round, but you'll most likely need to double check next round matches when we are paired up.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I'm afraid a nasty bug in the game matching system has meant that 6 players would have invalid games in the first round. This is too much so we've made the call to put a temporary hold on the first round whilst we fix the issue. We'll restart on Monday 15th May.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Huragan wrote:Shards, Technology is wonderful.... when it works :)

I think we are OK for this round, but you'll most likely need to double check next round matches when we are paired up.
It's great isn't it!

Apparently a pair of players managed to subscribe at the exact same time, which we think has exposed a bug in the matching script. We'll get it fixed...
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

And we're back underway, with the right amount of games!!

Good luck all
Gerifonte
Tournament Champion
Tournament Champion

Post by Gerifonte »

Only 3 actication zone to move in the first day with my germans!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That should be forbidden!!! :| :| :| :|
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

oooof, that is a cruel start!

Oh well, if you win now then we know that it's a true victory worth the name :D
HJB
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by HJB »

my Opponent daggerfunf did 3 turns in TWO games on the FIRST day. How will this work? I am German, but often work more on night than on day. I gamed the whole night every hour for ten minutes or so with some folks from the States, we did a lot of turns in our games - but not in the tournament game. If this will not work, it is not my fault, I think.
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

Hey HBJ, because we have random pairing and no time-zone matching or time/gaming window matching, you and your opponent will just have to do your best to complete as many turns in 10 days as possible. My opponent is in Italy while I'm playing from Canada; he diligently stayed up until 1am his time so that we could get a whole bunch of turns done.

Unfortunately, this situation creates a tournament exploit where if you have high enough points for your 2 games, you may not want to continue submitting further turns. This is a dishonest way to accumulate points or deny them to your opponent, but there is no real way to prevent that or to moderate the games to insure fair play. I am sure there are contestants in this tournament who will genuinely be pressed for time and will not be able to complete their games; however, I feel that this is a disconnect between the tournament organizers and the participants. This tournament should have clear rules and an unambiguous statement about the time requirements for the contest. I know of 2 previous tournament participants who I contacted to play, and who declined based on what they thought was bad organization and lack of transparency as to the commitment level required for this event.. their loss

Personally, I hope Alberto and the Slitherine team continue to field these tournaments... after all, practice makes perfect... I'm sure they'll get it all sorted out sooner rather than later :)
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi Huragan,

On the "stalling" strategy, if a player stalls out the game and therefore times out, we automatically adjust the scores to take this into account, moving a proportion of the points over to the player who was playing their turns.

@HJB, send your opponent a PM? It might be that you can find a time window that suits you both? We've set the round times to 10 days in the hope that people will be able to find a time to play together.

Ta
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I see that the first players to finish both their matches are pantherboy and Gerifonte! Looks like some close games!!

pantherboy 2 18 20
Gerifonte 18 2 20
HJB

Post by HJB »

I have yet reported to the support: "The game (in which daggerfunf is the Axis-player) is „desynchronized“; I did restart several times, but it doesn’t help! I can’t play the game …"
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi HJB, is that just one of your games or both?

edit: Support have passed me your email now. I'll see if there's any way we can recover this game!
HJB

Post by HJB »

Shards wrote:Hi HJB, is that just one of your games or both?

edit: Support have passed me your email now. I'll see if there's any way we can recover this game!
problem is just one game: in which daggerfunf is the AXIES player.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Yeah, I can see that one game is stuck on Turn 10 whilst the other is moving on. We're going to try and revert it back to a previous turn to see if that will fix it..
HJB

Post by HJB »

Perhaps better newstart this single game ... time is now out ...

Return to “News & Announcements”