DOW Ireland?

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

UffzExner
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

DOW Ireland?

Post by UffzExner » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:22 pm

After my opponent had conquered England i planned to retake Britain with an invasion in Ireland. But i had to notice that i it not possible to declare war on ireland. Why not? Any suggestions?

Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:39 pm

Ireland is Pro Allied so only the Axis player can DOW on them. They also have no date of entry (well a date way in the future, something like 2020!) so will not join the fight unless the Axis player decides to invade. This was done to prevent the Allies from taking the country except by "liberation"

Switzerland also has a similar arrangment though they are Pro Axis so only the allies can bring them into the war

UffzExner

Post by UffzExner » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks for quick answer. But i believe it would be realistic that the western allies could declare war on ireland when London falls to german invaders...

zerothehero
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by zerothehero » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 pm

UffzExner wrote:Thanks for quick answer. But i believe it would be realistic that the western allies could declare war on ireland when London falls to german invaders...
I would really love to hear your logic? On what reasonable grounds would the Allies would declare war on Ireland? :?

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:52 pm

zerothehero wrote:
UffzExner wrote:Thanks for quick answer. But i believe it would be realistic that the western allies could declare war on ireland when London falls to german invaders...
I would really love to hear your logic? On what reasonable grounds would the Allies would declare war on Ireland? :?
Here is an interesting PDF of a brief I found when searching for Ireland during the Second World War.
Ireland During the Second World War

I think it supports the argument that the UK would never outright invaded Ireland. However; in CEaW there is no political model and therefore; there is no way to "convince" neutral countries like Ireland, Belgium, Spain, etc. that's in their best interest to join one faction or the other. Therefore; a DOW by the UK on Ireland can be viewed as an abstraction representing a reluctant Ireland joining the Allies. So reluctant in fact that they contribute no forces to the Allied war effort and only give 1/2 of their wartime production to them.

As a side note, in BJRMod version 2.00, which is currently in alpha testing, all minor neutral countries that remain neutral unless dow'ed (e.g., Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, Ireland) are fully neutral (i.e., not pro-Allies or pro-Axis) and can be invaded by either side. For Switzerland (previously pro-Axis) and for Ireland (previously pro-Allied) we've zeroed out all production, i.e.; no cities produce PPs. This removes the economic incentive to invade for easy PPs. Now, the only reason to "invade" these countries is purely strategic, which again, can be viewed as an abstraction of political pressure successfully applied to these countries to join the war.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”