Partisanen Everywhere!!

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

schwerpunkt
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by schwerpunkt »

yep, axis troops might be poor in the front line but they do ok against partisans - didnt realise that they didnt count against german manpower - bonus! So their losses only cost PPs, great!
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

schwerpunkt wrote:yep, axis troops might be poor in the front line but they do ok against partisans - didnt realise that they didnt count against german manpower - bonus! So their losses only cost PPs, great!
Each axis minor has its own manpower. So they can experience lower quality or effectiveness but it doesn't impact the Germans.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

I also use the Italians to garrison rear cities. Italian corps units in Russia are great to quickly finish off those pesky partisans. Since all partisans arrive as garrisons and often with strength below 10 it means you don't need German units to finish them off.

The partisan warfare is a bit different now. They appear more often, but less powerful. So they're primarily a nuisance unless you ignore them for some time.

Also remember that the game checks each hex separately for partisan presence so the more enemy hexes you capture the more partisans you will have to deal with. Partisans appear much more likely in non-clear terrain. So Greece and Yugoslavia are countries that will get partisans more often.

It also seems the partisans appear more often against the AI. I haven't seen the actual code for it, but it's the same in the vanilla game.
thommo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by thommo »

after captured russia still got around 9 partisnas/turn
but there are turns where 14 poped up!!!

i played aginst the ai so it took lot of time and took lot of corps to deal with them
so its make me quit from that game :)
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

I think the AI cheats so you get a lot more partisans when playing against the AI. We've tweaked the partisan spawn rate for player vs player games. Consider it an extra challenge when playing against the AI. ;)

Personally I don't play against the AI because the AI can never be challenging in such a game. E. g. the AI doesn't know how to attack best so you can kill hexes and advance into the hex afterwards. The AI just attacks with the front line units hoping to get a breakthrough and cancels everything if that doesn't happen. E. g. you need to analyze the front line to see if there are any weaknesses you can exploit and begin the battles there. E. g. a garrison behind a river in the front line that can be attacked from 3 hex sides. then you can kill it and not advance so you can get a fresh unit across the river to continue the attacks.
thommo

Post by thommo »

i play with my friends on tcp/ip
but as gs mode works only pbm (which is very slow compare to tcp/ip) sometimes i have to play aginst the ai
LongTom
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

I would like an option to turn-off partisans

Post by LongTom »

I think the partisans in this game are adding time-wasting / not-fun activity that as the German player against the AI I have to keep messing with / worrying about every turn.

I'm interesting in the major battles/strategy - fighting against my main enemies. Dealing with the partisans adds depth to the simulation (gives you a whole 'nother set of issues to deal with and decisions to make) but those issues/decisions and extra "depth" aren't really all that "fun" to deal with. Makes each turn take longer, and eventually I may get bored and give up on finishing the game, then not go back to it for a while.

A few partisans popping up once in a while could be fun, expecially for the allied player in multiplayer. A lot of partisans popping up is fun for an allied player in multiplayer. Partisans aren't fun for the Germans, they are just a PITA.

The option of turning them off, or reducing the frequency with which they appear, could be accompanied by a built-in reduction (if appropriate) in German forces / PP to account for garrisons that wouldn't need to be actually shown on the map as units. I mean, you really can't realistically leave all the cities ungarrisioned now, right, or you start losing cities to partisans. So let's just have the game assume I *am* garrisoning the cities, deduct some PP to account for that, and move on to the *fun* part of the game for the Germans.

Jim
thommo

Post by thommo »

or at least if i have garrionsos nearby thats should prevent partisans to pop up
ncali
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by ncali »

I remember once seeing a map showing partisan-controlled areas in Yugoslavia in '43 and '44, and it was very extensive despite a lot of garrisons. So I think the new partisans in GS work fairly well. That said, I understand others' comments about this taking a little bit of time. For me, it's still a very small part of my turn (at least as Allies) - although my most advanced games are only in the latter part of '41. So overall, I'd say keep things the same but I'd understand if you decide to reduce the chance of partisans popping up based on the garrisons and their ZOC.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I think the way partisans are currently implemented is actually very good, they did have quite a big impact on the actual war in certain areas (espc. Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union) and make things more realistic, I'm all for it!
trulster
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster »

schwerpunkt wrote:So, what's the most number of partisans anyone has ever had arrive in the same turn? In a game I'm currently playing as the axis (1944), I just had 4 turn up in the same turn just as winter was ending (2 in Russia - ughh, 1 in Poland and 1 in Yugo). Not complaining :wink: , just interested in seeing who has managed to get 5 or 6 :D
Recently saw 5 pop up in the same turn! Three in Spain and two in Iraq, and the Spanish ones were nasty 8 and 10s...

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”