Any problems with Mac CEAW Grand Strategy v2.00 post here

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 am

Hi,
I have Lion also, but I do not have this problem. Did you repair permissions?

Did that help?

enric
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by enric » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:52 pm

I'm trying to isolate the event.
I think it happens when:

- Open CEAW
- Play a turn (pbem) and End the turn, then go to finder (CEAW is still running) and send the file.
- Open another multiplayer game, End Turn and send to adversary.
- Open another multiplayer game, End Turn, etc.
- Close CEAW.

When I receive the turns from adversaries, the first one is ok and can be replaced, but the other's two no.
I'm not sure I need more test. But when it happens, even with the CEAW closed, you can move to trash the file but not empty the trash. A restart or log out is needed.

When it happens again I might send you the file if you wish.
Btb, these files are very big 2,6 MB once compressed they are just 172 KB so probably the save feature of the CEAW could generate a smaller file easily.

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Are these files from players with Macs or Windows?

Are they archived? (ie. zipped or are an *.rar files)

The game was designed to save the game file in the large format. you must archive or de-archived received turns and place un-archived files in the appropriate folders for the game.

I have my "PBEM game name" in the PBEM folder. I have a alias to a folder where I store the archived files sent to me. I then will

un-archive the files in that folder and transfer them to the PBEM over writing the game file. Then I will open CEAW-GS and play the turn.

enric

Post by enric » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:40 pm

pk867 wrote:Are these files from players with Macs or Windows?

Are they archived? (ie. zipped or are an *.rar files)

The game was designed to save the game file in the large format. you must archive or de-archived received turns and place un-archived files in the appropriate folders for the game.

I have my "PBEM game name" in the PBEM folder. I have a alias to a folder where I store the archived files sent to me. I then will

un-archive the files in that folder and transfer them to the PBEM over writing the game file. Then I will open CEAW-GS and play the turn.
- The files I receive are not archived.
- I place the files in the appropriate folder.
- Now I just received a file turn, the CEAW is closed, the file received is not compressed, if I through the received file over the folder PBEM, where the older file is, I receive the message: I'll send a image, note that CEAW is not running.

[img]/Users/enric/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202011-08-04%20at%2020.38.48.png[/img]

moet
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by moet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 am

How can I change the language of the game? I'm now in French, but the translation is too bad, so I would like to get back to English.

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:03 am

Hi,

One way is to rename your CEAW Grand Strategy folder in ~/Documents to something like "0_FR_CEAW Grand Strategy". Then start up the game and it will act like a new install and create a new folder. You can select english as the language. Then quit to desktop. Copy over the game files from the renamed folder into the newly created CEAW Grand Strategy folder. The new game will have the music and sound effects on, so you will need to disable them if you want smoother play. It will take one or 2 turns of playing for the current game files to switch over to English.

If I may ask, is French your native language? If so would you be willing to translate the French language version?

There are some formatting that must be preserved for the file to work within the game.

We did not have a playtester that spoke French so these are web translations.

If you would like to help please pm me and go from there.

pk867

moet

Post by moet » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:50 am

First, let me say that I'm currently reading the manual and find there are a lot of interesting things in CEAW Grand Strategy. I also appreciate that the game is available on Mac and in multiple languages. :)
pk867 wrote: One way is to rename your CEAW Grand Strategy folder in ~/Documents to something like "0_FR_CEAW Grand Strategy". Then start up the game and it will act like a new install and create a new folder. You can select english as the language. Then quit to desktop. Copy over the game files from the renamed folder into the newly created CEAW Grand Strategy folder. The new game will have the music and sound effects on, so you will need to disable them if you want smoother play. It will take one or 2 turns of playing for the current game files to switch over to English.
Thanks for the info. I tried something that is simpler and seems to work : I opened the "settings.txt" in the ~/Documents/CEAW Grand Strategy 2.0 folder and changed the number on the first line : LANGUAGE 1 (instead of "LANGUAGE 2")
and now the game opens in English. :)
pk867 wrote:If I may ask, is French your native language? If so would you be willing to translate the French language version? There are some formatting that must be preserved for the file to work within the game.
We did not have a playtester that spoke French so these are web translations.
If you would like to help please pm me and go from there.
As you can see from my English, I'm a native French speaker (but from Montreal, Quebec, not from France).

I'm indeed also a technical editor (in French) and I write some video game reviews for the French (from France) magazine PC4War (last issue: http://www.store4war.com/classesAff/Pro ... ?pro=20363). In fact, I'm playing CEAW Grand Strategy to write a short review for the next issue of the magazine.

So yes, let's talk about righting the French text of the game. I send you personal message.

enric

Slow, very slow and confusing

Post by enric » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:20 am

Using:
Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A511)
MacBook Air 2,13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
SSD disk

Some times, some action, as selecting units, using arrow scrolls, etc, take much time to proceed, the game seems to "freeze" maybe loading something, as not always appear a round ball or a sand clock it is confusing, is easy to make another click, or try to move the window (arrows up/down right/left) then when it recovers you are far way from you should, or worse you have moved a unit with a click not desired.

For exemple: an amphibious invasion that should attack after disembark.
After disembarking the unit must attack the city but the game seems "thinking", so I tried to select again the unit, then the game recovers and the unit is considered moved, so my attack is gone.

Another example, when "End Game" is selected, a dialog box appears inmediately asking to confirm the action, when selecting "√" nothing seems to happen for 6-7 seconds, your cursor is alive but not seems that nothing happens, after a while, the game recovers and closes the window and end the game.

My MacBookAir is not a slow machine, I think the game should use any of the "wait" cursors, in these situations when it needs to load or do something, to avoid the feeling of "what's happening now?".

I've also the latest MacBoo Pro, used for music, is the quicker MacBook now, and I installed CEAW to try, and happens the same.
MacBookPro 8.3
Intel core duo i7 2,2 GHz 4 cores
Memory 8 GB
SSD disk

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”