PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

afk_nero
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

2.1 installer

Post by afk_nero »

Hi All,

I know that 2.1 is free and therefore not a priority for Slitherine. I am of course one of the many that is looking on with envy at the AAR's and wish that I could join in the fun.

I am not an IT guy but I do have a freind who is willing to look at creating an installer if allowed. Is this possible? It wont be a Slitherine packaged game but at least we will all be abe to use this.

I think the guys who have done the updates to v2.1 are genius. I am chomping at the bit to get involved.

Nero
Comet
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: 2.1 installer

Post by Comet »

Slitherine's indifference to this whole thing is not exactly marketing brilliance.
Wargamer74
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Wargamer74 »

Like everyone else here I've been waiting impatiently for the 2.1 update to be released officially. I'm only speculating but maybe with the success of Panzer Corps all their attention is focused elsewhere?

Even though GS is completely free I wonder if Slitherine realizes that it has probably helped sell more copies of CEAW, many people who never would of touched the game because it was to basic or simple buy it because of this mod.
GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild »

Scott900091 wrote:Even though GS is completely free I wonder if Slitherine realizes that it has probably helped sell more copies of CEAW, many people who never would of touched the game because it was to basic or simple buy it because of this mod.
Like me. I passed on the original version because it seemed a bit basic, but have recently purchased it entirely because of the GS version. Of course, Slitherine will have the sales figures, so maybe there just haven't been enough people like me.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep »

Well, this is not their newest project. Other games are probably more profitable, so they focus their efforts on them.
JimR
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by JimR »

Cybvep wrote:Well, this is not their newest project. Other games are probably more profitable, so they focus their efforts on them.
I have no way of knowing but I wonder if there is an untapped market for CEAW, among people who will find version 2.1 appealing enough to buy the game for the first time. (If they hear about it, that is.) There is a lot to be said for CEAW-2.1's combination of relatively easy mechanics and complex decision-making, not to mention its cross-platform capability. Readers of this forum will know that play-testers have been testing and testing and testing, starting and restarting games, collecting and reporting data, etc. that has allowed the developers to get rid of various bugs, and to build in competitive play-balance adjustments. CEAW-2.1 is a good product that isn't meant to appeal to a cutting-edge bells-and-whistles crowd, but it should find a place in the hearts and hard drives of devotees of hex-based strategy games including players (like me) who started out in boardgames many years ago.
gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 »

Well said, Jim.
Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

One might wonder whether it's not wishful thinking, though. Do we know how many people who don't own the game are waiting for 2.1 or could be encouraged to buy the base game in order to try GS 2.1? We don't, while making DLCs for Panzer Corps will certainly generate revenue...
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

GS is already included in the base game when you purchase it. That is one reason it takes longer to make the installer. Slitherine needs to make an update version and a complete CeaW + GS v2.1 installer. Both have to work well.

What complicates the installer is that we have to ensure the GS v2.1 will work if you install on-top of GS v2.0 or beta versions of GS v2.1. I think you all remember the trouble we had with GS v2.0 when people couldn't make the game work because some AI scenario files had been added in GS v1.06 and GS v2.0 tried to compile those incompatible scenarios. So we need to make sure GS v2.1 is installed with user files in a different location than GS v2.0.

We have also updated the map between GS v2.0 and GS v2.1. We have even added a map version with country, river, lake and sea area names. These will be added on-top of the already existing version. The map files have to be compiled to create map tile files for all 3 zoom levels. The game checks for certain dat files and if the dat files are not present the tiles will be recompiled. So the installer will have to delete files in the current installation. But if it's a first time installation then you don't have such files and the installer can get into a problem. So instead we will first ADD the dat files and then delete them. Then it should work for both new players and those who update the game.

We decided to not add the map tile files directly into the installer because it would double the total size of the installer.

These are just a few examples of why it takes awhile to create the installer. We want the installer to work when people get it and not have situations where people end up with a game that won't run because something odd has happened.

When the alpha team has tried the installer without any issues then we will offer the installer to interested beta testers. When also the beta testers can install without issues then we will give the go-ahead to Slitherine to prepare for launch.

At the moment we haven't yet an installer version for the PC that can update GS v2.1 from GS v2.0. We have the full Ceaw + GS v2.1 installer (which requires a serial number). That one works as intended.
gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 »

I understand the process a lot better now. It is going to be a good thing that the installer will determine which version of GS (2.0 or 2.1 beta) you have before installing. Hopefully, Slitherine can get to it by the end of September.
mroyer
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mroyer »

Well, for what it's worth...
I purchased CEAW with GS 2.0 specifically because I knew GS 2.1 was on the way. I'd never played CEAW and figured I'd get a head start learning the game on 2.0 while I waited for 2.1.

I have to say, the game seems quit fun, but I am disappointed that the graphics are SO far out of date. It's very frustrating to be sitting in front of my two 1920x1080 monitors and playing on a teeni-tiny image tucked into the upper-left corner of one screen. Sure, I could go full screen, but that just exaggerates all the blur... Also, I wish more than two people could play.

Anyhow - those gripes aside, I'm still looking forward to playing 2.1 and I am one of the ones attracted to CEAW by it's existence.

-Mark R.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

The graphics is a limitation of the Java engine and can't be altered. The all code has to be changed and we have made a new game.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

The latest update: We finally got the GS v2.1 update installer. I'm downloading it now and will try it out tomorrow. If all goes well we will let some beta testers try it out.

Keeping fingers crossed the installer works as we all hope. :)
mroyer
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mroyer »

Stauffenberg wrote:The graphics is a limitation of the Java engine and can't be altered. The all code has to be changed and we have made a new game.
I understand completely. I have to believe it's a limitation of an older version of the Java engine; I'm sure the current JRE is much more powerful.

Good luck with the installer...we're all waitin' with baited breath :)
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

I play with full screen and don't see blurry images. I use NATO counter's however
JimR

Post by JimR »

Stauffenberg wrote:I play with full screen and don't see blurry images. I use NATO counter's however
The large counters are especially pretty. (But sometimes you have to hide them temporarily to be sure of the terrain beneath them!)
simdy
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by simdy »

Hello, I have tried to toggle to full screen, however, I am unable to.
shi4stone

Post by shi4stone »

In my case GS mod drive me to buy this game. I passed CEAW a few years ago because it is too simple to my taste. It's a shame that we can't have 2.1 already and change the resolution...

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”