Thinking of buying the game

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Edorf
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Thinking of buying the game

Post by Edorf » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:16 pm

As the title suggests I`m thinking about getting this game or Time of Fury.
As I will just play singleplayer against the AI what is the better choice of these two titles?

Samhain
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Thinking of buying the game

Post by Samhain » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 am

I haven't played Time Of Fury but the AI could hardly be worse* (though I've modded Europe At War of my own accord for years and I've found that this has masked the AI's incompetence to a good extent).
* My catchphrase is the AI is so stupid it even invaded Switzerland before (and even then only half-heartedly).
In spite of the Final Fantasy character it's pronounced sao-win after the Irish pagan god of death. I'm not a pagan but we're on a wargames website so I thought it fitting.

DukeOfLight
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by DukeOfLight » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 am

Well what can i say....i have CEAW for around 4 years on my computer.
So any comment is futile.

Edorf

Post by Edorf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Just wanted a more casual WW2 game other than my Hearts of Iron games but it seems either CEAW or ToF will do. These looks more like they are intended
for human vs human play and not vs A.I.

Anyways thanks for your input.

Rasputitsa
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Rasputitsa » Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 am

Both games are capable of giving a reasonable game against the AI, but obviously the AI is not going to be as capable as a human opponent in either game. If you keep the AI in it's comfort zone and don't expect too much initiative, then a good game can be had. Play Axis against the AI for the early war period, the Axis has the initiative and the Allied side is mainly reacting, the AI can do this quite well. To be historically accurate how good does the AI have to be, to represent the performance of the Western Allies, or the Soviet Union through 1939/42. Play Allies for the later part of the war, you have the initiative and the big strategic decisions to make, the AI just has to try and hold on to what it has got, as the Axis did in 1943/45. Play appropriate scenarios, or the whole campaign starting as Axis then change to Allies, I have had a good time playing both games against the AI, as I cannot commit the time to PBEM.

Polls show that at least 50% of players only ever use the AI and historically when you see what some of the real commanders did in WW2, then the AI starts to look like Einstein and if the game is not challenging enough, they all have settings to make things harder.

Both games cover similar map areas and time interval (the whole war), with air, naval and ground operations, but work on different scales, CEAW has 20 day turns and units at Corps strength, so fewer units to deal with and plays through quicker. TOF works on effectively weekly game turns and units of Division and Corps strength, which can be split into even smaller units if required (also merged back), therefore, has the potential for more detailed combat situations, whilst still being a mainly strategic game and will take longer to play through.

CEAW has basic Axis and Allied factions, TOF treats each nation individually (33 for 'Grand Campaign' start) and you can play different combinations, you can choose which nations to control yourself (most nations are not initially involved, unless attacked) and which to leave in the hands of the AI, control can be switched even in the middle of a turn, you can do some actions for a nation yourself, then turn over to the AI to do the rest. Getting the balance right can be a challenge, but you could leave a minor ally to fight its own war, provided it doesn't get in the way of the major nations you control. So how much control do you want, CEAW is the simpler option, whilst TOF has a multitude of options, if you want to use them.

CEAW has had more development in the hands of the team producing the Grand Strategy mod and is a good, solid, game, with the development process still going on. TOF is less well developed and has areas that still need work and although capable of a good game, it can throw up problems. The pay-back is that TOF has many in-game settings, options and preferences to set up the game to your tastes, in how the map looks, the units icons/sprites and game files are easily modded to adjust how it plays. In short, CEAW plays well straight out of the box, TOF has good potential with more detail and control, but may need some work.

My solution is to have and enjoy both. :D

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”