1.03 Feedback

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

1.03 Feedback

Post by Stryder » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:19 pm

I heard there had not been much feedback so I thought I'd add what I could... i am playing the 1943 scenario as the allies with the Axis having a large advantage. It seems the AI is building far too many submarines, airplanes and to a lesser degree armor. They have built virtually no infantry and I am advancing much faster than historically was possible because there are very few units to actually oppose me. Reaction to the invasion of Italy and France was also very slow and quite limited but that may have been because there was no infantry to send...

instead of building expensive air and naval units, the Axis should be building units that can be used to create a defensive line to stop the onslaught.. the AI may want to overweight infantry as well since it is less costly to build as well...

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:58 am

Thanks for teh feedback - this is very useful.

neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by neilhammond » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:51 pm

I've posted a couple of comments a week or so ago, but will add a few more...

I played the allies 1940 scenario with a slight Axis advantage last game. I found the Axis AI were stonking the Russians but didn't react to an Allied invasion of France in '42 (apart from garrisons and 1 Pz Div). The result was I won by overrunning France and took Berlin, even though Russia was on the point of collasing.

I'm now playing the Axis on moderate advantage. I have to say the game is hard to win - the allies seem to have stacks early on. But I'm not that "expert" at the game and perhaps I'm not playing that well.

Neil

Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:12 am

I have played the 1944 scenario as the axis several times and the allies cannot launch D-Day (1st turn) very well at all... they do not always land all of the troops eligible to land---a minor catastrophe since I can then attack them with subs and planes... and they have less troops to defend/attack which they desperately need..

but the real catastrophic error is they quite commonly leave the troops ashore with no battleship to provide supplies... the AI is too eager to bombard troops...... I would say that if the allied AI cannot launch a cohesive invasion of France where everything has been put in place then the chances of them doing it in the earlier scenarios is lower still.. this is easy to reproduce since it is the 1st turn of the 44 scenario... I'd like to see if my experience is common

any feedback on when we should expect the next installment of the beta patch or a general release patch? are there certain things that are being worked on? is there any particular testing that you want done?

You are what you do when it counts.. The Masao

ancient
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ancient » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:12 am

I must add again that the two corps in Vichy Algeria should be replaced with garrisons. There should be more incentive to bring this area into play.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:01 am

Thanks - is this feedback all on 1.03 as some of it sounds like 1.02?

Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 pm

iainmcneil wrote:Thanks - is this feedback all on 1.03 as some of it sounds like 1.02?

mine is 1.03

vypuero
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by vypuero » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:05 pm

ancient - this will be done in the next beta, the Vichy units will be garrisons instead

Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:53 pm

vypuero wrote:ancient - this will be done in the next beta, the Vichy units will be garrisons instead
is there a list of what will be in the next beta? a developers log may be a nice way to keep people involved and see the progress...

This is what I had in mind:

http://www.muzzylane.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2045

neilhammond

Post by neilhammond » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:30 pm

iainmcneil wrote:Thanks - is this feedback all on 1.03 as some of it sounds like 1.02?
all my comments are on 1.03 beta

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:56 pm

On another note - if you'd like to post a message to the Muzzy Lane "other games" forum letting people know about Commander that would be cool :)

http://www.muzzylane.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

Feel free to spread the word to any other forum you frequent. It's a tough job to get the word out on this type of game! We've tried advertising in a number of places including an ad campaign with the History Channel but it had pretty limited results and cost a lot more than it generated in sales. I think it needs word of mouth rather than advertising.

syagrius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by syagrius » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:39 pm

Can we expect 1.03 this week?

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:40 am

We're planning to put a 1.04 in to beta later this week or early next week. Some cool changes coming up :)

neilhammond

Post by neilhammond » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:03 pm

Further to my comments above. I'm playing 1.03 using Axis with medium level allied advantage. I played the 1940 scenario.

I'm in mid '42 at present, having followed a traditional strategy of France in '40 and attack Russia in mid '41. The Brits/US landed in Normandy in early '42 and have a heavy force deployed. I can't build up enough naval/air to really do it any damage.

Am I missing anything obvious? Since '40 I've built I extra German fighter, 1 extra armour, 1 extra destroyer, 1 extra Motoroised foot. Plus some inf corps. So not too much overspend on technology units. The rest gets spent on rebuilding damage, which is where most of my spend goes.

I find the "jump" from slight advantage to the AI and moderate AI advantage to be quite large. Is this correct?

Neil

firepowerjohan
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by firepowerjohan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:42 pm

neilhammond wrote:Further to my comments above. I'm playing 1.03 using Axis with medium level allied advantage. I played the 1940 scenario.

I'm in mid '42 at present, having followed a traditional strategy of France in '40 and attack Russia in mid '41. The Brits/US landed in Normandy in early '42 and have a heavy force deployed. I can't build up enough naval/air to really do it any damage.

Am I missing anything obvious? Since '40 I've built I extra German fighter, 1 extra armour, 1 extra destroyer, 1 extra Motoroised foot. Plus some inf corps. So not too much overspend on technology units. The rest gets spent on rebuilding damage, which is where most of my spend goes.

I find the "jump" from slight advantage to the AI and moderate AI advantage to be quite large. Is this correct?

Neil
Yes, as should be :)
Some ppl have complained thre game is too easy and that is why we have increased the difficulty level jumps so that the higher levels should be very strong.
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)

Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:34 pm

iainmcneil wrote:We're planning to put a 1.04 in to beta later this week or early next week. Some cool changes coming up :)

Awesome news!! Can't wait

neilhammond

Post by neilhammond » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Okay, fine. I understand that the difficult level needs to be difficult. I'm playing at the medium level.

For me, the medium level is too difficult, but the small AI advantage level is too easy!

Neil

Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:29 am

Neil, are there any areas that you have identified that the AI could do better that would make it more difficult at the small AI advantage? Build different units, etc? What was the easiest theater of battle when you play win easily? just curious... thx!

Agent_Smith
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Cruisers...

Post by Agent_Smith » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:48 am

While checking my unit mod with the 1.03 patch, I notice we now have cruiser unit graphics, but these units are not YET purchasable.
Something to look forward to?

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Cruisers...

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:21 pm

Agent_Smith wrote:While checking my unit mod with the 1.03 patch, I notice we now have cruiser unit graphics, but these units are not YET purchasable.
Something to look forward to?
They have always been there in the unit graphics folder. I think there were plans before v1.00 to have cruisers as a unit type, just like heavy armor and some other unit types. But the ideas were scrapped.

I feel that we don't need cruisers and heavy armor to make the game better.

The only unit types I would love to see are the marine corps and paratrooper corps.

The marine corps is the same as a regular infantry corps with the exception it can attack from the transports into occupied land hexes. This would make it easier to get units ashore when the defender has occupied every shore hex with garrisons.

The paratrooper corps is also the same as regular infantry corps, but they can be transported to another hex within air range and dropped there. The range could be the same as fighter assault range.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”