Can units retreat forward into a ZOC?

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

OxfordGuy3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Can units retreat forward into a ZOC?

Post by OxfordGuy3 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:59 pm

The manual and some AARs I've seen seem to imply that a unit can retreat forward into an enemy ZOC, which could be very dangerous for double line defenses - however in my current GS 3.0 game I don't think I've ever seen this happen. Can this actually happen, if there is no non-enemy ZOC hex to retreat into or will the unit always just stay put? Thanks!

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Can units retreat forward into a ZOC?

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Yes, if the hex is friendly and you can't retreat away from ZOC.

OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:Yes, if the hex is friendly and you can't retreat away from ZOC.
Ah, that must be it - so you can't be forced to retreat into an enemy controlled hex in a ZOC?

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:12 pm

oxford_guy wrote:
Stauffenberg wrote:Yes, if the hex is friendly and you can't retreat away from ZOC.
Ah, that must be it - so you can't be forced to retreat into an enemy controlled hex in a ZOC?
you never retreat into an enemy hex

GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:25 am

IF a unit retreats it will attempt to do so such that it does not end in an enemy ZoC. If it cannot do this it will attempt to avoid ending in the ZoC of the unit which attacked it. If it cannot avoid this it WILL still retreat, so long as it is physically possible. There is a clear example in the 12 May entry of this AAR viewtopic.php?f=78&t=42493 , and slightly less clearly in the 11 May entry. This is the usual way of cracking the double defensive line, as the second line prevents the attacked unit from 'retreating' to the rear.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:54 pm

GogTheMild wrote:IF a unit retreats it will attempt to do so such that it does not end in an enemy ZoC. If it cannot do this it will attempt to avoid ending in the ZoC of the unit which attacked it. If it cannot avoid this it WILL still retreat, so long as it is physically possible. There is a clear example in the 12 May entry of this AAR viewtopic.php?f=78&t=42493 , and slightly less clearly in the 11 May entry. This is the usual way of cracking the double defensive line, as the second line prevents the attacked unit from 'retreating' to the rear.
The forward retreat I see in that example is into an Allied controlled hex, not an Axis one, though... I don't think I've ever seen a retreat into an enemy controlled hex that's in a ZOC

GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Ah! No, a unit will *never* retreat into an enemy controlled hex. Only friendly controlled hexes are eligible to be retreated into.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:22 am

GogTheMild wrote:Ah! No, a unit will *never* retreat into an enemy controlled hex. Only friendly controlled hexes are eligible to be retreated into.
Okay, thanks for confirming

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”