How far off is CEAW 3.2 from release?

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Metalogic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

How far off is CEAW 3.2 from release?

Post by Metalogic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi - I've been lurking here for a while and playing a number of CEAW GS 3.1 AI and hotseat games (both solo and vs. a local human opponent (who unfortunately doesn't have much time available to play) and am now starting to consider putting out a PBEM request for a game, but was wondering if the release of GS 3.2 is imminent or still a few months or more off? If it's soon, I may hold off until this is released, but if it's not for a while, I may try to start a PBEM sooner. Thanks!

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: How far off is CEAW 3.2 from release?

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:13 pm

It's hard to tell. We won't be doing many changes to GS v3.2, but we are still playtesting to check the game balance. We're not sure we have found the right settings for techs since we added espionage. Maybe we need to increase the tech difficulty number by 5 for some techs to make them advance slightly slower.

The games between Plaid and Vokt shows that the game balance can't be that far off. Vokt won the first game and it seems Plaid will win the second. That without any changes between the games.

We still make minor tweaks to exploits to the longer air range. E. g. we removed the CV's chance for intercepting when in port. A CV attack range is only 1 if in a port so you need to be in open sea to participate properly.

Once we've confident the game balance is right we will release GS v3.2. Fortunately we don't have any bugs we know of. However we don't play much against the AI. Maybe we need an AI beta tester. :)

Metalogic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Metalogic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:It's hard to tell. We won't be doing many changes to GS v3.2, but we are still playtesting to check the game balance. We're not sure we have found the right settings for techs since we added espionage. Maybe we need to increase the tech difficulty number by 5 for some techs to make them advance slightly slower.

The games between Plaid and Vokt shows that the game balance can't be that far off. Vokt won the first game and it seems Plaid will win the second. That without any changes between the games.
Okay, thanks for the info.
We still make minor tweaks to exploits to the longer air range. E. g. we removed the CV's chance for intercepting when in port. A CV attack range is only 1 if in a port so you need to be in open sea to participate properly.
That sounds like a very sensible change, otherwise the CW CVs can support units in the defence of France at relatively low risk far too easily, a tactic I've been somewhat guilty of exploiting
Once we've confident the game balance is right we will release GS v3.2. Fortunately we don't have any bugs we know of. However we don't play much against the AI. Maybe we need an AI beta tester. :)
Well the AI is pretty useless anyway, I only played a few games against it to learn - it seems to be PBEM where this game shines

mineral
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by mineral » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Minor issue to the game, but historically, I always thought that when the Iraqi rebellion happens, the allies/brits should also have a reason to invade vichy syria. Historically they did because of limited german support for the Iraqi rebels that came through Syria. In the game, if the allies attack Syria, then all of vichy france suddenly becomes allied to the Germans, giving them an economic boost, and I think you lose some free french units later, etc.

Perhaps just make attacking Syria AFTER the iraqi rebellion have no consequences for the Allies?

Metalogic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Metalogic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:04 pm

mineral wrote:Minor issue to the game, but historically, I always thought that when the Iraqi rebellion happens, the allies/brits should also have a reason to invade vichy syria. Historically they did because of limited german support for the Iraqi rebels that came through Syria. In the game, if the allies attack Syria, then all of vichy france suddenly becomes allied to the Germans, giving them an economic boost, and I think you lose some free french units later, etc.

Perhaps just make attacking Syria AFTER the iraqi rebellion have no consequences for the Allies?
I thought in GS if the allies attack Syria it only activates Syria, not all of Vichy, or does something different happen if you attack Vichy *after* the Iraqi Rebellion?

Metalogic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Metalogic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Metalogic wrote:
mineral wrote:Minor issue to the game, but historically, I always thought that when the Iraqi rebellion happens, the allies/brits should also have a reason to invade vichy syria. Historically they did because of limited german support for the Iraqi rebels that came through Syria. In the game, if the allies attack Syria, then all of vichy france suddenly becomes allied to the Germans, giving them an economic boost, and I think you lose some free french units later, etc.

I thought in GS if the allies attack Syria it only activates Syria, not all of Vichy, or does something different happen if you attack Vichy *after* the Iraqi Rebellion?
At least that's what this post suggests: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=64793

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:20 pm

The Allies can attack Syria without activating the rest of Vichy France. The Axis cannot.

ncc1701e
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ncc1701e » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Just bought the game and I am finding it very good so far. The way the Atlantic battle is simulated is entertaining. Good buy so far even if my first conquest of Poland last four turns… That is why I went to this forum to read couple of AARs and discover there is a 3.2 version in the pipe.

Was wondering also how far we are from its release?

Thanks

captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:14 am

Am wondering the same thing! Been hearing about version 3.2 for months....when is it due?

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:47 pm

We still don't know. Had it been up to me we could have released it already since there are no known bugs, but beta testers are speaking about game balance issues (Allies too strong). So we need to try out things and retest to check the impact.

Finding a balance that will suit all types of players (casual, intermediate, veteran, expert) will probably not be possible. You will always have players who know very well how to play each side. If you make the game balanced for them then it won't be balanced for the more casual players. So it could be that we are chasing our own tails here. :P

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:15 am

What are the changes made in 3.2?

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:27 pm

We are just voting one quite a few tweaks to the game balance and when these are out then we will have to playtest to check if the game balance is now more like what people want. Some felt the balance was shifted a bit too far on the side of the Allies in GS v3.2 (more than in GS v3.1).

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:34 pm

PK867 will post a list of the changes once we have agreed upon the latest changes. Some of the important changes are extended air ranges, tech espionage, tweaks to the at start research, quite a few fixes reported in GS v3.1 like Soviet rail issue in Romania and Bulgaria after they change side and so on.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”