Commander - The Great War

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Edward75
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Commander - The Great War

Post by Edward75 »

Who ever played in the game? It is same interesting as you think?
http://www.slitherine.com/games/ctgw_pc
mineral
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Commander - The Great War

Post by mineral »

I purchased it late last year. The scale is almost the same as CEW, so comparing the two is pretty natural. I've only played against the AI (I play CEW against the AI and a friend).
The first difference, is the prevalence of Artillery. Given the scale of the game, having artillery as separate units from infantry/Calvary is not quite right, but it does make for a satisfying rock/scissors/paper that you get with all of these sorts of games (art/inf/cal in this case, vs inf/mech/arm in CEW). However early in the game, artillery isn't very powerful. Aircraft are weaker then in CEW, and zeppelins are pretty useless. You have access to armoured cars, but tanks don't come till much later.

The game seems to mirror WW1 battle patterns. The western front turns to a stalemate after the initial german thrust (as does the italian/austrian fight). The serbian fight also plays out historically.
The eastern front is very similar to CEW with vast space compared to the small number of units allowing for maneuver. Armoured cars and cavalry are particularly useful here.

The desert fight between the Brits and Turks is a grind like the western front, but the Russians can invade turkey, creating an interesting side battle from the eastern front.

the verdict? like CEW, the AI is pretty dumb. The game has a similar strategic feel (do I spend money on tech, submarines, or buy ground units, etc?). And the game is modern enough I can use the whole screen, makes me wish that CEW was updated like this. BUT in the end I find the speed and scope of the WWI setting just not as interesting as that of CEW and ww2.
Edward75
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Commander - The Great War

Post by Edward75 »

Thank you very much for detailed and explanatory answer!
What do you think, Germany have a chance of winning?

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”