Partisans in Russia

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Edward75
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Partisans in Russia

Post by Edward75 »

Pertisans don't must appear in clear hexes (must be only mountains, forests and swamps). Particularly don't must appear near enemy units, it is not possible.
JyriErik
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Partisans in Russia

Post by JyriErik »

Like much in the game, partisans are abstracted. An example. THE best way to preclude partisans from appearing is to not take terrain. Using Russia as an example, in the game if the Germans simply bypass the Pripyat marshes, then no partisans can appear there since partisans only appear in enemy controlled terrain, yet in the real war, the fact the Germans couldn't control them made the marshes a major center of partisan activity. That said, partisans appear randomly, and with greater incidence in rougher terrain.

Jyri
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

I once lost a game (to Joerock) because I didn't clear the Pripet pocket as the Axis. In 1944 when the Russians were pushing the Germans near Kiev they got some partisans behind the German lines. These units moved and combined with the Russian controlled Pripet pocket put 5-6 German units out of supply when the Russians made a breakthrough in 2 locations on the front line. These German units weren't able to withdraw and got gobbled up. That included some armor units. The Allies captured Berlin in April 1945 so it was a very close race. Having those 5-6 extra units would have saved a turn and thus made the loss into a draw.

So it's quite dangerous for the Axis player to not clear pockets of enemy controlled space behind the main line.

Some people suggested that we make some code where enemy controlled pockets with no link to cities can be automatically converted without having to move to these hexes. However, that was voted down because some players deliberately don't clear pockets in the Pripet etc. to reduce the number of partisans. My example above shows one downside of such strategy. You wish you had cleared the hexes when you retreat and suddenly have uncontrolled hexes behind you.

Real partisans could spawn anywhere, even in towns or cities. It depended upon the Axis presence in the area. In GS you have an extra risk getting partisans in cities if you leave them unoccupied. That was added to encourage players to garrison their occupied cities. I think partisans could more likely form in urban areas if they knew the Axis had very little presence there.

Partisans will most likely spawn in non clear hexes (spawn chance 4 times higher I think), but since there are so many more clear hexes you see most of the partisans spawn in clear hexes. The game rolls per enemy occupied hex in your core territory and there is a certain chance for a partisan. The chance is very low like less than one in 1000.
Edward75
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Edward75 »

In reality, Pаrtisans need place for cover. Resist at clean place is suicide. It is not historically. Such cases, I do not know. Believe me, I from Russia. I don't say about towns or cities nothing.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

A clear hex isn't entirely an open hex. You have smaller forests and towns where partisans could easily hide. So I really don't see the problem.

Partisans could be almost anywhere where the Axis didn't have guards nearby.
amulius
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by amulius »

Perhaps partisans should not spawn adjacent to ennemy units.
It is bit tedious when you see a 10 steps partisan unit suddenly appearing in the middle of your air units.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”