Is it possible to run 4.0 on Windows 10?

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

OxfordGuy3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Is it possible to run 4.0 on Windows 10?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - is it possible to run 4.0 on Windows 10? At the moment I can't even get 3.1 to run from a fresh install, let alone 4.0 (I did try, but then uninstalled completely and then just tried to run 3.1, but nothing happens after selecting "Okay" in the Launcher, it just closes). I've tried running as administrator and various compatibility modes, but nothing seems to make any differences. Do I need to install a different version of Java or something?

I've posted a thread about this in the Tech Support section: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 33&t=75757

I used to play CEAW-GS quite a bit years ago, and fancied giving it another go, now that 4.0 is out, but I'm not sure if it's even possible to run it on my PC.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Is it possible to run 4.0 on Windows 10?

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Yes you can. I run on Windows 10 myself.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Great, but how?
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

oxford_guy wrote:Great, but how?
Okay, got 4.0 working on my work Windows 10 PC by installing 1.12 vanilla and then installing GS 4.0 direct over the top. Will try on my home PC this evening.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Still can't get it to work on my home PC, sadly, I get this Java error:

java.lang.InternalError: Could not set display mode
at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.configDisplayMode(Native Method)
at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.setDisplayMode(Unknown Source)
at game.Global.setFullScreen(Global.java:1806)
at gui.TheScreen._$11000(TheScreen.java:77)
at gui.TheScreen.<init>(TheScreen.java:35)
at CEAW.main(CEAW.java:176)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

I've also tried to force it to run in Windowed mode by setting that to "1" in the settings file, but it does exactly the same. I also tried various compatibility modes and running as administrator, still no joy - are there any other settings I could try to get the game to work? Very frustrating!
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Looks like a screen setting issue. What resolution are you running in? What refresh rate? Which graphics card are you using? Are the drivers updated?

I think Window 10 sets 59 Hz as default on some computers. Try changing that to 60 Hz. I know that fixed an issue with the game not filling the entire screen when the window resolution was higher than 1024x768 as the game is using.

If you have an active resolution lower than 1024x768 then the game won't run at all.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Basically the game crashes if I try to run it in full screen on my external monitor, I can run it if I disconnect my external screen, so that it opens on my notebook's own display, then can switch to Windowed mode, then reconnect my external monitor, and it all works fine, but if I exit the game it doesn't seem to remember that I want to play windowed, so I have to go through the whole procedure of disconnecting my display each time, which is a pain in the butt. I think maybe somehow it's not able to write the screen settings to the settings files, though I'm running the game as administrator, have given write permissions to both the game folder (and subfolders) and the CEAW-GS folder in my Documents, and also have set WINDOWED_MODE 1 in ALL settings files, but it seems to make no difference.

Is there no way to make the game always start in windowed mode? I think that would solve all my problems

All graphics drivers are updated, my PC has both Intel Integrated Graphics and an Nvidia 970M GPU, but it obviously only using the former for SC3
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Stauffenberg wrote:Looks like a screen setting issue. What resolution are you running in? What refresh rate? Which graphics card are you using? Are the drivers updated?

I think Window 10 sets 59 Hz as default on some computers. Try changing that to 60 Hz. I know that fixed an issue with the game not filling the entire screen when the window resolution was higher than 1024x768 as the game is using.

If you have an active resolution lower than 1024x768 then the game won't run at all.
Hi Borger , I met similiar problem with my new labtop , It is windows 10 system & windows resolution is 1920*1080 . Its defeault at 60 Hz ( not allowed to change to any other choice ) . The GS 4.0 is still can not fill the entire screen . It is about 3/4 screen . Is there any solution ?
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

One reason is the game is 1024 by 768 which is 4:3 ratio while 1920 by 1080 is 16:9 ratio so it will not fill the entire screen unless you change the screen to 1024 by 768.
GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild »

Occasionally the game doesn't fill my whole screen - I don't know why. I can fix it by going to the CEaW control panel (top right of the buttons in the bottom right of the screen) and clicking on Toggle Full Screen. Sometimes I need to do this twice. I don't know why this cures it.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

I use a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution and GS fills the entire screen. However when I made a driver update the refresh rate was set to 59 hz instead of 60 hz and I lost that. Setting the refresh rate back to 60 hz fixed it.

It's possible to alter the refresh rate, but you need to show all modes. I'm using an AMD Graphics driver. Can be slightly different if you're using a Nvidia driver.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Should it be possible to force the game always to start in Windowed mode? I can't see to get it to remember any setting for this, no matter what I try.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

oxford_guy wrote:Should it be possible to force the game always to start in Windowed mode? I can't see to get it to remember any setting for this, no matter what I try.
Anyone?
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

oxford_guy wrote:Should it be possible to force the game always to start in Windowed mode? I can't see to get it to remember any setting for this, no matter what I try.
Anyone?
AugustusTiberius
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by AugustusTiberius »

From a Mac perspective, the game starts by asking me whether I want window or full screen. For me it is one more step and am okay wight hat. Yours sounds like it is a bit more of a pain.

Mac vs PC, eh? haha
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

oxford_guy wrote:
I could have sworn that when I played the game previously on PC it was possible to always get the game to start in windowed mode (which would solve most of my problems with running the game), but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get this to "stick".

Is anyone else on PC able to get the gae to remember to start in windowed mode always? If so, what's the trick? Thanks!

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”