COMMANDER, Pacific at War.

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

pirijobego
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

COMMANDER, Pacific at War.

Post by pirijobego » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:41 am

Commander. Pacific at War, for when. Does someone know if it will be done?

jon_j_rambo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jon_j_rambo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Not sure if it's in the works. I believe Napolean is next on the menu.
I am the Tony Soprano of wargames.

firepowerjohan
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by firepowerjohan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Commander Napoleon at War is about to be released very shortly, but future projects are not decided yet :)
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)

friend
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Many people are eagerly awaiting Pacific at War

Post by friend » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:03 pm

My friends are I are all really, really looking forward to the Pacific version of the game. All the best with it, your customers, especially those slighty jaded with the crowded European gaming market, can hardly wait for the fresh breath of Pacific wind :-)

GaryChildress
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by GaryChildress » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:04 pm

I vote for a Pacific version as well! 8)

friend

Post by friend » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:49 am

Would love the Pac version as well please . . .

KingHunter3059
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Agree

Post by KingHunter3059 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:33 pm

It would be a great release!

Jay

esde56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by esde56 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:18 am

C:PAW would be a most interesting concept but two points are evidential:

1. C:EAW-GS is still evolving and needs further maturation before ongoing efforts are diluted into a PTO title.

2. The ETO is primarily a land war with secondary naval & air aspects. The PTO is primarily a naval & air war with secondary land aspects. IMHO the extant game systems would require a significant revamp in order to make the transition to the Pacific.

Kind regards.

Stephen
'If only life was as simple as the majority of its participants' {SD 1999}

metolius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Map...

Post by metolius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:28 am

... I guess it might be a bit tricky to come up with a good map that would cover that much of the globe and not be hopelessly distorted.

Anybody an expert on map-projections with a good idea for this?

foost
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Map...

Post by foost » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:55 am

metolius wrote:... I guess it might be a bit tricky to come up with a good map that would cover that much of the globe and not be hopelessly distorted.

Anybody an expert on map-projections with a good idea for this?
The map projection is not really the problem, because there are enough out there that have tackled the problem of distortions in large space. Two possible candidates would be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-point_ ... projection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_az ... projection

A nice website showing the distortion via the Tissot's indicatrix is

http://www.btinternet.com/~se16/js/tissot.htm

( you can center on the pacific, if it's upside down then, change the direction).

The problem a Pacific Commander at War would face is that of great distances and large, empty oceans... If you want to use a hex-based map, it needs to be equidistant, i.e. the distance from the center of a hex to the next one would have to stay roughly the same throughout the map (as opposed to region-based, where you can tweak by making larger or smaller regions). This would make a map either extremely large with lots of empty ocean, or the land areas to be fought for extremely small.

In short, in my opinion the question is less how to avoid distortion, but how to distort the map on purpose to achieve good gameplay.

Craig64

Post by Craig64 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:14 am

HI Guys

There was the war in china against the japanese.
Then you had the campaign of Japan fighting in burma and singapore, India and down through malaysia and indonesia and to new guinea and they attacked Darwin in australia and also the sub attack in sydney.
Then the Us had pearl harbour and guadalcanal and the solomons, phillipines the marianas.

I think the hex system that CEAW has is the best system. I hope they have the game as a stand alone and can be added to CEAW as a Commander World at war.

Craig64

firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Perhaps a global game with larger map would be best using a combination of land hexes but sea regions.
Concerning the GS, I am afraid it cannot include Pacific or World War Maps. It would require code changes that I am not keen on. I allowed code changes by modders for GS since it helped turning house rules into coded rules.
Since the GS expansion is for free I have to set a limit somewhere (on the code changes).

I have decided that a reasonable limit is that the GS codewise only uses 150x72 hexes on the same area, scale and era as original CEAW. For those who did not know, the GS is not made by the developer (=me) but by a fan group allowed by me to change the code. Note that I am not adressing the script modding, scrip modding is allowed without limits.
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)

tactical22
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by tactical22 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Dear Johan ,

If you launch CEAW: Pacific War as a new game, I think that most of us we´ll be very happy to pay for it!!. :D

esde56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by esde56 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 am

As we should be: it is easy to forget amidst the GS mod excitement, that Slitherine is still a business operation. :shock:

Slitherine has allowed a very generous degree of FoC latitude for the GS mod, which many others would not. It behoves all GS enthusiasts to spread the word and encourage their friends, to do likewise. Hopefully, Slitherine may (deservedly) receive some increased CEAW sales from the expanding popularity of the GS mod.

Kind regards.

Stephen

firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 am

esde56 wrote:As we should be: it is easy to forget amidst the GS mod excitement, that Slitherine is still a business operation. :shock:

Slitherine has allowed a very generous degree of FoC latitude for the GS mod, which many others would not. It behoves all GS enthusiasts to spread the word and encourage their friends, to do likewise. Hopefully, Slitherine may (deservedly) receive some increased CEAW sales from the expanding popularity of the GS mod.

Kind regards.

Stephen
The code changes was as much granted by Firepower Entertainment (developer) as Slitherine (publisher) since Firepower Entertainment have the intellectual rights to the code.

esde56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by esde56 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:02 pm

My apologies to Firepower Entertainment for failing to grasp the chain of command! :oops:

You all deserve more retail sales and royalties! :D

Kind regards.

Stephen

KingHunter3059

Post by KingHunter3059 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:07 pm

firepowerjohan wrote:
esde56 wrote:As we should be: it is easy to forget amidst the GS mod excitement, that Slitherine is still a business operation. :shock:

Kind regards.

Stephen
The code changes was as much granted by Firepower Entertainment (developer) as Slitherine (publisher) since Firepower Entertainment have the intellectual rights to the code.
WOW! Johan are you really considering it? :D - That would be outstanding! I am in the mist of watching the Pacific mini-series and I would PAY to play a version of this game in the Pacific!

Jay

firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm

I did not say that I favour Pacific over any of other candidates. All between 1914-1945 are possibilites for the CEAW engine, not just WW2.

leridano
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by leridano » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 pm

I think a Pacific scenario release is what all the people is asking. Certainly, wargames based on Pacific scenario like War in the Pacific, Admiral´s edition are excellent and
it would be difficult to compete with such WW2 pacific scenario game. But the CEAW games engine have the advantange of the playability and the results of a CEAW pacific scenario can be very attractive.

Now that we know that a GS pacific scenario won´t be possible we all would like to see in the near future a CEAW official pacific version. :)

firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Now that we know that a GS pacific scenario won´t be possible we all would like to see in the near future a CEAW official pacific version. :)
    Well, I am still busy supporting World Empires Live which is the latest game that uses some of the codebase of CEAW. It is not a sequel but more like a distant cousin :)

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”