Bigtime Licensing Problem

Forum for technical support for the digital reader version of Field of Glory.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Bigtime Licensing Problem

Post by Jhykronos » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:51 am

I just ordered the PC version of the rules reader plus the army lists. But when I enter my serial number for the rules, it kicks me out with a "The Serial Number Supplied is Not Valid" message. The serial number I have for the army lists works, but the one for the rules is a dud. Please advise.

geoffrm
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Bigtime Licensing Problem

Post by geoffrm » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:18 am

Hi,
I'm having the same problem. Also the resize does not work with the army list book which did download. Also I cannot read it offline. I'm not impressed with this whole release. The problems comming up seem to be common and you would think that if they had tested it they would have been able to identify these problems. I wonder if this is the first time that the guinea-pigs have been asked to pay for their own drugs?
Geoff

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Unfortunately, like a lot of video games these days, the PC Port for the reader is one of those multi-platforming afterthoughts, with all the limitations and none of the advantages of the original platform. Hopefully some future update gives us a better mouse/window interface.

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:14 pm

BTW Slitherine, I haven't heard anything from tech support in a couple of days. We have clearly determined the problem is not interfering antivirus software from my end, so could someone please expedite getting me a working serial number? Or at least a refund, so I can just buy another copy.

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Jhykronos wrote:Unfortunately, like a lot of video games these days, the PC Port for the reader is one of those multi-platforming afterthoughts, with all the limitations and none of the advantages of the original platform. Hopefully some future update gives us a better mouse/window interface.
You're right. We definitely deserve all the crashing features included in the initial iPad version on the PC as well :roll: :roll:

From the Abannan site, my impression is that their reader is really oriented towards periodicals rather than reference books. The versions of magazines that I get on my Android tablet are much more limited in navigation functionality than the Kindle and Nook reader apps are for books on either my Android tablet or on my PC. At least they do allow scaling the view of the pages so you can zoom in and out, but the page layouts are fixed for the magazines while the Kindle and Nook readers will re-paginate the contents of books when you change the font size for example although pictures still have only limited re-sizing capability depending on how the e-book was originally created.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:24 pm

batesmotel wrote: You're right. We definitely deserve all the crashing features included in the initial iPad version on the PC as well :roll: :roll:
All the -interfacing- and screen/memory limitations of the original version with none of the advantages. Everyone wants to be a comedian...

Anyway, I bet the Ipad version isn't shipping with non-functioning license keys. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Jhykronos wrote:
batesmotel wrote: You're right. We definitely deserve all the crashing features included in the initial iPad version on the PC as well :roll: :roll:
All the -interfacing- and screen/memory limitations of the original version with none of the advantages. Everyone wants to be a comedian...

Anyway, I bet the Ipad version isn't shipping with non-functioning license keys. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
Someone I know who now has both the iPad and the PC version (after I commented that the iPad version might be better) claims that the only actual advantage of the iPad version is that it is easier to read in the bathroom :shock: Beyond that I don't think the PC version is really lacking any advantages of the iPAd version other than some bugs which appear to be platform dependent. e.g. crashes on the iPAd versus an inabililty to use the rules without an internet connection on the PC.

Chris

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:24 pm

batesmotel wrote: Someone I know who now has both the iPad and the PC version (after I commented that the iPad version might be better) claims that the only actual advantage of the iPad version is that it is easier to read in the bathroom :shock: Beyond that I don't think the PC version is really lacking any advantages of the iPAd version other than some bugs which appear to be platform dependent. e.g. crashes on the iPAd versus an inabililty to use the rules without an internet connection on the PC.
Well, yeah. The portability (you can actually use it at the gaming table). Plus a touchscreen interface on a device that actually comes with a touchscreen vs a klunky keyboard/mouse approximation of the same functionality. Still, I buy the rules reader for the content and am willing to work around the interface... and the bloody thing won't even acknowledge the legitimacy of my purchase and work! Uggggggh!

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:50 pm

You should be able to run the reader without registering. I've been doing that for a couple days and finally only registered today. Login on the Slitherine main page and then go to My Page. There you can register with your serial number and select the Field of Glory Reader in the product drop down list. It's near the bottom.

Chris

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57 pm

batesmotel wrote:You should be able to run the reader without registering. I've been doing that for a couple days and finally only registered today. Login on the Slitherine main page and then go to My Page. There you can register with your serial number and select the Field of Glory Reader in the product drop down list. It's near the bottom.
No, you don't understand. I registered my copy just fine, using that exact method. What I can't do is download the #@%&ing FOG 2 ruleset to the reader, because the serial number Slitherine gave me is invalid.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi guys

sorry you are having problems. it is very unlikely the license keys don't work and is probably related to a leading or trailing space or a typo in the serial. Can you recheck carefully and try again? If the problem persists please let us know your order ID and we'll investigate further. Don't post your serial number here.

Thanks.

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:44 pm

IainMcNeil wrote:Hi guys

sorry you are having problems. it is very unlikely the license keys don't work and is probably related to a leading or trailing space or a typo in the serial. Can you recheck carefully and try again? If the problem persists please let us know your order ID and we'll investigate further. Don't post your serial number here.

Thanks.
Sigh,

I've checked carefully multiple times, both by typing manually and via copy/paste. I've uninstalled my antivirus program, reinstalled the reader, and still tried to download. I have even tried it on a different computer with a much cleaner copy of windows. Same result... Rise of Rome downloads fine, FOG 2.0 has an invalid serial number.

Frustrated and somewhat sarcastic you're welcome.

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm

BTW, Order Reference # is 67459640. Tech support says they're looking into it.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Sorry you are still having problems but where exactly are you entering the serial and it fails as you must have already installed successfully before you enter the serial so I am confused about the issue related to virus checkers.

We often have serial numbers reported as not working but I don't remember any being a real issue, which is why we have to rule this out. It's based on years of tech support but I'm willing to admit anything is possible.

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 pm

IainMcNeil wrote:Sorry you are still having problems but where exactly are you entering the serial and it fails as you must have already installed successfully before you enter the serial so I am confused about the issue related to virus checkers.

We often have serial numbers reported as not working but I don't remember any being a real issue, which is why we have to rule this out. It's based on years of tech support but I'm willing to admit anything is possible.
Step #1- Download the FOG 2 reader.
Step #2- Install the FOG 2 reader.
Step #3- Open the FOG 2 reader.
Step #4- Click on "Launch Field of Glory Game System, Ancient and Medieval"
I'm now at the window that says "Click on an image to purchase or view, or unlock if you already have a serial."
Step #5- Click on Field of Glory 2.0
I'm now at the window that says: "Please enter the e-mail that you used for your purchase, along with the serial number that was e-mailed to you after purchasing, then click Download."
Step #6- I follow those instructions.
Red text appears: "The serial number supplied is not valid."

I have performed these steps dozens of times on 3 different computers for the same results. I think I can rule out User Error at this point.

(BTW the anti-virus un/re-installation was suggested by your own tech support guy. I'm guessing he wanted to make sure that it wasn't blocking the S/N verification. I went along with it, even though I had no problems with my Rise of Rome order.)

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 pm

IainMcNeil wrote:We often have serial numbers reported as not working but I don't remember any being a real issue, which is why we have to rule this out. It's based on years of tech support but I'm willing to admit anything is possible.
Strange stuff can happen. Last I checked I wasn't your typical barely-computer-literate end user who would make a user-entry error on around 50 repeated attempts to run a program, so I'm going to have to rule that out. It's based on years of developing software professionally, but I'm also willing to admit anything's possible. :)

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:58 pm

Slitherine:
Not to sound obnoxious (okay, MORE obnoxious), but it's been nearly a week and I haven't heard anything other than "we're looking into it" or skepticism that the problem even exists. I hardly think it would take that long for someone at your end to try to download FOG 2.0 and install it using my e-mail and serial number... once you verify what I'm saying is in fact true, you could either send me another S/N or a refund to purchase another license with.

Thanks.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:23 am

We were at Essen and not back in the office till Tuesday and after a week out it has been a little hectic. We have been looking at it and think we know what the cause might be but it is not possible to test it as you suggest. Sending you a new serial will not help. It is valid serial and there is another issue causing the problem. We'll get it fixed ASAP so thanks for your patience.

Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 am

IainMcNeil wrote:We were at Essen and not back in the office till Tuesday and after a week out it has been a little hectic. We have been looking at it and think we know what the cause might be but it is not possible to test it as you suggest. Sending you a new serial will not help. It is valid serial and there is another issue causing the problem. We'll get it fixed ASAP so thanks for your patience.
Hey, no sweat, as long as I get what I payed for pretty soon. Strange that another S/N wouldn't help... I've assisted an opponent in installing his copy and his S/N worked fine.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Its a new system to deal with the digital books so there are a few teething problems (t say the least!). Basically when you buy it passes the serial number to Abannan so they know what to let you download as the content is on their server. All the testing went fine but if you order multiple items in one go sometimes one of the serials is not transferred properly and this didn't get picked up until you guys started buying with the cross sells enabled. Once again apologies for the inconvenience but we are slowly tracking down the issues and killing them.

Return to “Tech Support”