byes

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

byes

Post by ravenflight »

Hi all,

I've asked this before but can't quickly find the thread on my phone and don't remember the answer.

How do you guys handle the byes? How many points do you award them in a 25-0 system?

Last year I awarded 15 points. My logic being it's a 'winning draw' and the person so placed in the draw is in the bottom of the pack.

I guess that isn't necessarily true as the first person to get the bye COULD be a fairly good player.

I must admit that last year I took the first bye (being the organiser) then went on to win the com, and there was one complaint about the numbers of points awarded for a bye.

Thoughts?
navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: byes

Post by navigator »

well I have used 10... as not too many and not too few...

but have also found adjusting the score to reflect the average score across the tournament of each player who has a bye. works well.

ie a chap/ess plays 3 games and a bye.. and scores 20, 12, 6... his total is 38 so would get 13pts for his bye game.... this seems fairer to me and just needs working out at the end of each round...
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: byes

Post by berthier »

In the Gulf Coast Conference, byes get "0" points. If we have an odd number of players the referee will play the lowest ranked player unless the referee is the odd player in which case the referee will take the bye. As the referee in the GCC cannot win his own tournament it has not been a problem.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com

Return to “Tournaments & Opponents”