a 90 degree turn question

Moderators: hammy, Blathergut, terrys, Slitherine Core

bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

a 90 degree turn question

Post by bahdahbum » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:52 pm

It seemed so simple at first and the I started wondering if we were not mixing different FOG rules :D

So what is it about :

Take a large unit deployed in 2 rank deep ( or 2 bases deep if you whish ) . That unit wants to turn 90° and is more than 2 MU from any ennemy so no test as it is a simple manoeuvre ...but is it so simple .

Will it turn 90° ans be 2 bases to the front, 3 rank deep ( as in FOGAM for those who know those rules ) so self supporting . It represents the fact that all bataillons just turned right or left ( more or less ) . Or will it face the new direction, still 2 ranks deep, 3 bases large with it's center as near as possible from the original center ?

It seemed so simple but we could not agree ...

BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: a 90 degree turn question

Post by BrettPT » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:06 pm

My view - still be 2 deep after the turn. (you are doing a facing change, not a formation change).

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:57 am

bahdahbum wrote:It seemed so simple at first and the I started wondering if we were not mixing different FOG rules :D

So what is it about :

Take a large unit deployed in 2 rank deep ( or 2 bases deep if you whish ) . That unit wants to turn 90° and is more than 2 MU from any ennemy so no test as it is a simple manoeuvre ...but is it so simple .

Will it turn 90° ans be 2 bases to the front, 3 rank deep ( as in FOGAM for those who know those rules ) so self supporting . It represents the fact that all bataillons just turned right or left ( more or less ) . Or will it face the new direction, still 2 ranks deep, 3 bases large with it's center as near as possible from the original center ?

It seemed so simple but we could not agree ...
As I understand it (and I'm so new you can still smell that new car smell) the 'turn' goes around the central point. So some 'battalions' will wheel forward, some will about turn and wheel back and about turn again (within the unit).

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:58 am

Hy Brett,

Now that you wrote it, seen fromthe point of view as 2 different manoeuvres, it makes sence :D

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:21 am

We discussed the point during a big battle. Finaly the decision was that if turning 90° is one move and changing formation is another move in the "rule" , in the real world when a formation turns 90 ° it will change formation at the same time ( as in FOGAM ) . So we decided to do it that way, some players being in the military and simple logic explaining it :D

Return to “Rules Questions”