Great Medieval Battles Combined with Field of Glory? Slither

iOS, X360, PS3, PC and Android. Historical role playing strategy game set during the hundred years war.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Destraex
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Great Medieval Battles Combined with Field of Glory? Slither

Post by Destraex » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:16 am

Slitherine would you do this?

I am still enjoying great medieval battles but would also like the same thing on a grander scale.
Specifically:

Great medieval battles base game
Larger maps and scale similar to field of glory
1 to 1 troop depiction - I want to see ants fighting! Don't have to zoom in all the way but have to see each man dying. The troops have to look good too.... not like stumpy 25mm figures still. I still want to see pikes lowered and such.
The uniform detail on the menu bar because the troops would be small.
A Campaign map linking battes and making unit upgrades and skills important.
Field of glory setup detail. Including things such as facing and formation

This would almost be my ideal game. Total war does it well enough but is a bit soft in a lot of areas including map size and tactical implimentation. Its too easy to just steamroll the enemy in total war without even knowing your weapons and tactics. Their are almost never any interesting tactical scenarios like great medieval has either.

Fetrik
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Fetrik » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:50 am

Sounds like a good idea. It's something i would look atleast twice at (like i am doing with fog right now^^).

Destraex

Post by Destraex » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:23 am

I am looking at FOG as well. But I don't like the hex system and the troop representation just looks silly when you have computers that can do the work for you and make it look real.
Bascially I am looking for total war but with realisitc numbers and a zoomed out view (sorta like LOTR movie when they zoom above the fighting) . I am looking for a complex but intuitive battle system that is tied
together by a simple campaign map to tie your army together. One off battles always seem like blood fest phyrric victories for both sides, neither commander afraid to lose almost all men and never making a decision to fight another day.

Thats something that great medieval battles also suffered from until they brought blood mode in... and the self heal option. But I have not tried those yet. I am finding the base game with default options challenging enough! :)

I also want something that does not just have weather but allows the environment to be used not just in a passive way but as part of a plan. For instance if its hot dry and sunny you really can rustle up a dust storm. But the enemy sees the dust, not just some random "oh yeah, the units were hidden due to a dust storm. We thought you would realise"

Fetrik

Post by Fetrik » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:05 am

Destraex wrote:I am looking at FOG as well. But I don't like the hex system and the troop representation just looks silly when you have computers that can do the work for you and make it look real.
Bascially I am looking for total war but with realisitc numbers and a zoomed out view (sorta like LOTR movie when they zoom above the fighting) . I am looking for a complex but intuitive battle system that is tied
together by a simple campaign map to tie your army together. One off battles always seem like blood fest phyrric victories for both sides, neither commander afraid to lose almost all men and never making a decision to fight another day.

Thats something that great medieval battles also suffered from until they brought blood mode in... and the self heal option. But I have not tried those yet. I am finding the base game with default options challenging enough! :)
I think the troops looks very good zoomed in. I barely even notice the hexes. I think they are adopted from TT rules.

TW with FoG battle detail propably wont happen anytime soon. But i am also looking forward to such a game.
The lack of campaign was what made me hesitate buying most. But i got Tin soldiers JC a couple of days ago so that will suffice.

In number of units leaving the battle it may well look like pyrrhic battles. But in soldiers lost it looks a lot more beliveable (FoG). I have only played a few battles but i haven't seen any TW type slaughters. The units rout before that. What big losses i have seen have been in units routing pursued by cav, so all historical. :)

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:13 am

It's not something we have planned for now I'm afraid.

Destraex

Post by Destraex » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:23 am

well... thats a shame. I mean i'm sure like... absolutely everybody loves what I want ;)

Return to “HISTORY™ Great Battles Medieval”