Music: Battle Hymns of the Republic

iOS, X360, PS3, PC and Android. Historical role playing strategy game set during the hundred years war.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

kongming
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Music: Battle Hymns of the Republic

Post by kongming » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 pm

As Slitherine moves along with Arcane Legions, I for one would encourage you to add a bit more depth to the musical score of the game than was present in LA. Not the music in LA wasn't great, there just wasn't enough variety. By the tenth battle on the first pass through the game, the tunes were already beginning to worm their way into my skull so that they rattle through a guy's brain all night with mind-numbing persistence. And I have to say that I was a bit crestfallen that the Celtic campaign had not a bag-pipe or tin whistle or anything different. That seemed like a missed opportunity. Hire a bag-pipe player for a day! Feed him lunch and he'll probably do it for free. Even if it was just one distinctive Celtic tune, it would have made an impact. As it is now, I have turned the LA music off because it is so stale.

Thinking about Arcane Legions, consider maybe even one distinctive tune per faction. The Celts could inspire the music of one; Taiko drums were used on the battle fields of Japan and China.

I once heard an NPR interview with the guy who did the sound effects for Spartacus. He recalled how he had created that omnious sound of the clanking armor of the Romans legions deploying for the final assault on Spartacus by putting every set of keys he could find into a wood box and just jostling the box up and down.

You guys are pros, so I know that you do the best with the resources you have, but a bit more effort here would pay off in great depth of the game experience.

???There are only a few notes in the scale,
yet you can always rearrange them.
You can never hear every song of victory???
- from Sunzi, The Art of War

kongming

Post by kongming » Sun May 13, 2007 12:41 pm

From Great Battles of Rome forum
iainmcneil wrote:Music is great - same composer Mike Rubino, but a lot more of it. Each of the 29 movies has a track written for it, plus 4 battle tracks, 2 UI tracks, and more.

Modding wise its will be the same as LA.
I just read Iain's posts on Great Battles of Rome, and am encouraged by the indication that there will be a richer score for that title. Can we hope that Arcane Legions will receive the same attention to music?

coldknight
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by coldknight » Sun May 13, 2007 11:52 pm

You dont even have to hope, the music will be there :wink:

kongming

Post by kongming » Mon May 14, 2007 9:56 am

Cheers to that!

"The trumpets blared and drums pounded open the gates of the camp.
The legionnaires lifted up their voices in the old songs of the Republic,
as they marched out onto the field. This would be a day of heroes"

Return to “HISTORY™ Great Battles Medieval”