July 2014 FOG N tournament Melbourne

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

richafricanus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

July 2014 FOG N tournament Melbourne

Post by richafricanus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 pm

The League of Ancients will be hosting our first FOG N tournament on 19 & 20 July 2014.

The tournament will be scenario based with pre-set terrain and games loosely modeled on historical battles. Players will need a 650 & 800 point army list (from the same list and period). There will be 4 rounds of roughly 3.5 hours each.

We're hoping to get some Kiwis joining us from across the sea, and if anyone else from around the world just happens to be in Melbourne at the time, feel free to join us :D We'll even lend you an army if you don't feel like lugging one all the way.

KendallB
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: July 2014 FOG N tournament Melbourne

Post by KendallB » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:15 am

If it were a week earlier I would have been there.

BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by BrettPT » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:12 pm

I'm keen.

Cheers Brett

richafricanus

Post by richafricanus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:03 am

That'll be great Brett if you can make it. If you're keen, I'll send you the scenarios once I've drafted them for you to play test and help us refine. Also might help in army list design :D

Cheers
Richard

BrettPT

Post by BrettPT » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Richard

Be interested to see what you guys have come up with and happy to playtest in due course.
My email address is: brett@codymo.co.nz

Cheers

richafricanus

Post by richafricanus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:49 am

Great. I'll send you a couple later this week. I expect I'll need 8 or so. Hoping for 12 players at the tournament so will have a couple of extra. I've play tested the 2 I'll send. I have 4 more I need to test and am still looking for 2 more.

KeefM
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by KeefM » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 am

A scenario-based competition where the 8 scenarios are based on historic battles !! Woohooooo; can't wait :D :D .

Of course, there will be an inherent anti-NZ bias where the fine print for each scenario will contain the words "any NZ-originating player is unable to win this sceanrio regardless of the actual game result" and will be written in 2-point script so as to look like a line. It is vitally important that the "Victorian Championship" trohpy isn't taken out of Melbourne ... oh, the shame !!!

Anyway, how big is the trophy ? Do I need to travel business class so I can have the extra luggage allowance in order to bring it back to NZ with me :D ? Or would it be more pointed if Brett or I perhaps "donated" it back to the Melbournians to act as a less than subtle reminder that you couldn't win your own competition ??

< and now let the sledging begin ... Kit, I'll be counting of some of your well-rehearsed vitriol to kick in about now :D >

richafricanus

Post by richafricanus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 am

Of course as a non-playing South African umpire there will be no anti-NZ bias. I'll be equally biased against all non-South Africans. :D

In the event of a rule dispute between two non-South African players, I will make an entirely impartial decision, swayed only by the value of the Aussie $ bank note the request for a ruling is written on.

Of course if an NZ or Aussie team beats a South African team in the Super 15 final, this could all change...

Any negative comments on the quality of the scenarios could also be a factor in umpire rulings. Positive comments will have an equal and opposite effect.

Trophies will be awesome.

Saxonian
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Saxonian » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:01 pm

KeefM wrote:Anyway, how big is the trophy ? Do I need to travel business class so I can have the extra luggage allowance in order to bring it back to NZ with me ? Or would it be more pointed if Brett or I perhaps "donated" it back to the Melbournians to act as a less than subtle reminder that you couldn't win your own competition ??
No Keef, I can't see this as being necessary, as in the (very) remote chance that should Brett or yourself be at all successful, I am sure you will follow the well trod path of any NZ'er who has any modicum of success and be claimed as an Australian!! :wink:

And be grateful for the opportunity! :lol:

BrettPT

Post by BrettPT » Thu May 01, 2014 12:55 am

richafricanus wrote:Of course if an NZ or Aussie team beats a South African team in the Super 15 final, this could all change...
Well we're safe here.
No South African team will make the final. :P

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Thu May 01, 2014 2:01 am

As a NZer I already truly appreciate my 2nd class human rights status in Australia so naught to be gained be being "claimed " !

KendallB

Post by KendallB » Thu May 01, 2014 4:47 am

Saxonian wrote:I am sure you will follow the well trod path of any NZ'er who has any modicum of success and be claimed as an Australian!! :wink:
Like Russell Crowe?

richafricanus

Post by richafricanus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:47 pm

1. Brett Preston-Thomas Austrian 1800
2. Philip Abela Netherlands 1815
3. Keith Marshall Russian 1812
4. Mike Haycock Ottomans Balkans 1805-8
5. Alastair Donald Anglo-Portuguese 1812
6. Kit Goldsbury Anglo-Allied 1815
7. Kendall Blue Prussian Mixed Corps 1813
8. Richard Stubbs French 1812
9. Richard Gorringe Russian 1813
10. John Shaw French 1808
11. Daniel Karakaltsas British 1810-11
12. Scott Driscoll Wurtemburg 1809
13. Tyler Jefferson Prussia 1813
14. Andrew Oates Prussia 1813
15. Arnaud Ng French 1806
16. Steve Green Saxon 1809
17. Adrian Fryer French 1812 (Sunday only)
18. Dave Inglis Russian Infantry Corps 1813
19. Alex Inglis French 1812
20. Mick Griffiths Austrian Reserve 1813 (Saturday only)
21. Michael Bornstein Wurtemburg 1809
22. Daryl Hosking French 1814

With 2 players only playing a day each, and Michael Bornstein not playing Saturday afternoon, it means we have an uneven number for 3 games. I’m trying to get one more player in for the Sunday so hopefully there will only be a bye in Round 1 – any volunteers?
(No-one travelling “internationally” will be required to suffer a bye)

For the analysts:
6 Book One, 16 Book Two
Also, 6 Unreformed, 16 Reformed

I’ll be sending out the 10 scenarios on Monday 14 July. This will give all the ultra-keen players a chance to read through them and send me any typos, anomalies, etc for one final edit. Also, considering none of the NZ players have had a chance to play-test any of the scenarios, it seems only fair to give everyone a preview of all 10.

I will be setting up the terrain on the Friday evening so anyone who lives nearby is welcome to come and lend a hand.

Also, with 7 Kiwis coming over to play, it might be nice to go out for a dinner on the Saturday evening to debrief on the day’s battles and discuss the insightfulness of some of the umpire’s decisions (for those who can get 48 hours off from home duties!).

Cheers
Richard

KendallB

Post by KendallB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:31 am

For our Australian cousins who have yet to have the pleasure of playing Kit "Lord Ponsonby" Goldsbury, be prepared for this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca9CJ1u6ACg

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:18 am

And I, for one, would simply reinforce the word "pleasure". Oh, the transports of delight that await you-all in what we affectionately know as West Island - the Goldsbury Effect is heralded !!

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:06 pm

First I am tremendously jealous. Good luck and fun to all. Except the turk. That's not Napoleonics! OK...you can have fun and at least modest luck.
richafricanus wrote: I’ll be sending out the 10 scenarios on Monday 14 July. This will give all the ultra-keen players a chance to read through them and send me any typos, anomalies, etc for one final edit. Also, considering none of the NZ players have had a chance to play-test any of the scenarios, it seems only fair to give everyone a preview of all 10.
Will you make the scenarios available to non-attendees?

richafricanus

Post by richafricanus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Yes, I will, on Monday when I send them out to everyone.

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:20 am

richafricanus wrote: With 2 players only playing a day each, and Michael Bornstein not playing Saturday afternoon, it means we have an uneven number for 3 games. I’m trying to get one more player in for the Sunday so hopefully there will only be a bye in Round 1 – any volunteers?
(No-one travelling “internationally” will be required to suffer a bye)
Hi Richard,

I'll take up the slack of the extra for Sunday, if you pay for my airfair down to Melbourne, accomodation and food for the day and get me a loaner army.

I'm pretty cheap to feed.

In all seriousness, if it were more local I'd be there... unfortunately it's not :(

richafricanus

Post by richafricanus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:01 pm

I'll do the accommodation, food and army and you can cycle down. What's the problem? You won't be bringing an army? :D

Didn't realise you played FOG N.

And I've solved the bye problem - had one and a half players drop out and 3 new players come in, so all will be well.

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 pm

richafricanus wrote:Didn't realise you played FOG N.
Nor did I until a mate of mine said 'hey, wanna give FoG:N a go? and I said "yeah, I'll build an army just as soon as my Japanese are finished"...

It's amazing how you can be committed to building 1200points worth of French 1806 before you hang up a phone call...

Now that I come to think about it, I don't recall him saying 'these are not the droids you are looking for' but he may have...

Return to “Tournaments, Demos & Opponents”