Scenario - Mockern, 16 Oct 1813

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Scenario - Mockern, 16 Oct 1813

Post by shadowdragon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 pm

bahdahbum wrote:
the Advance Guard and IX Corps together have only 24 guns while the X Corps has 79 guns
I would guess , most of the artillery was a kind of "wing" reserve and that Langeron who also had autorithy on Sacken and St Priest kept part in reserve in casean ennemy appeared on the flank .
It's also possible that some of the heavier guns were still moving up. The link mentions 80 guns for the final attack against the Poles. I don't know if this is all of the guns in Langeron's force or just X Corps. One might also infer from that comment that 80 guns weren't available for the earlier attacks.

Anyway, I'll think on it, but I'm inclined to keep one of the Corps (the "IX Corps" FoG "division") off as a reserve until Delmas arrives to avoid overwhelming the Poles early on.

bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by bahdahbum » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Yes the scen as to remain "balanced" in some way .

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:55 pm

bahdahbum wrote:Yes the scen as to remain "balanced" in some way .
I've redone the Russian order of battle and edited my post above. I'll also edit the 2nd version on page 1 of this thread. The Russians get more infantry and artillery but fewer commanders and 1 base less cavalry. The points total for the allies ends up as 1820 - just 2 points more than before plus the "IX Corps" division must be rolled for activation. I think this will reflect the superior troop strengths of Langeron's forces but their inability to bring those numbers to bear.

Hope this works as a more accurate but still balanced scenario. If the points are right then it should still be about the same.

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:26 pm

We will play next week . We sgall see ...

One funny thing is that due to most of the prussian artillery being used as "attachment", the allied side has no artillery superiority and had to get to "medium" range to use those attachments and it is very difficult in front of large artillery units but courage is all the prussians need ( and good dice ) .

The allies have 3 small batteries +5 attachements , on the russian side 2 batteries ( one is large ) + 2 attachments .
The french 2 large + 3 small batteries ...should be fun

A pity the russian cavalry lost their horse battery but I will do without :D

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:18 pm

bahdahbum wrote:We will play next week . We sgall see ...

One funny thing is that due to most of the prussian artillery being used as "attachment", the allied side has no artillery superiority and had to get to "medium" range to use those attachments and it is very difficult in front of large artillery units but courage is all the prussians need ( and good dice ) .

The allies have 3 small batteries +5 attachements , on the russian side 2 batteries ( one is large ) + 2 attachments .
The french 2 large + 3 small batteries ...should be fun

A pity the russian cavalry lost their horse battery but I will do without :D
:oops: ....transcription error on my part. The Russian cavalry do have their horse artillery battery. I've edited the list.

Serves you right for not checking my points addition! :P Then you would have seen that the Russians were short 48 points. :D

Pity about the Prussians distributed their artillery all over the place... :)

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 pm

a picture of our game ( at the bottom of the discussion ) viewtopic.php?f=44&t=35456

I'll try to write what I can a bit latter

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 pm

bahdahbum wrote:a picture of our game ( at the bottom of the discussion ) viewtopic.php?f=44&t=35456

I'll try to write what I can a bit latter
I look forward to what you can write. :D

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 pm

grrr I typed for 30 minutes and ost everything .. :evil:

I will have to redo it :shock:

NB : Arrighi was not present at the battle . he was playing wargames with Gyulai's austrians at Lindenau . He was in charge of the garrison there so no IIIrd corps general for the french .

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 pm

bahdahbum wrote:grrr I typed for 30 minutes and ost everything .. :evil:

I will have to redo it :shock:

NB : Arrighi was not present at the battle . he was playing wargames with Gyulai's austrians at Lindenau . He was in charge of the garrison there so no IIIrd corps general for the french .
I know Arrighi wasn't there but I needed an "corps" commander since FoG is designed around a "corps" concept. The IIIrd corps general is a "virtual" general for a "virtual" corps. :D

By the way, did you find the Prussian divisions too small? I've been playing around with an alternate structure of an advanced guard division, two infantry divisions (each being two of the real infantry divisions combined) and a cavalry division.

P.S. Always write up long posts in a word processing program - saving often - and then copy to the slitherine posting area. Saves heartache.

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:41 am

I think that without Arrighi it will still work OK . The cavalry being commanded by divisionnal officers ( and good ones ) . In the army lists books Fournier is Charismatic as well ...

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:47 pm

bahdahbum wrote:I think that without Arrighi it will still work OK . The cavalry being commanded by divisionnal officers ( and good ones ) . In the army lists books Fournier is Charismatic as well ...
The main reason I put Arrighi in this scenario is that an extra French corps commander wasn't needed for the Lindenau scenario*. In creating the various scenarios it didn't prove possible to make all of the French orders of battle exactly match the real ones. The Pleisse River scenario is an example - I used all of the 2nd Guard division instead of the 2nd brigade of that division plus some of Augereau's corps.

The objective was to create several related scenarios in which each unit or commander was used just once. The challenge is that the French occupied a central position and could (as they did) use elements of various corps and divisions here and there. It would be different if all the scenarios were played at once with a central table having the French reserves. Then a French "Napoleon" could allocate whichever bits and pieces he wanted to each sector.

* The Lindenau scenario has "Bertrand" as the corps commander. He doesn't actually arrive until later. Arrighi is commander until he does. Rather than fiddle around with replacing Arrighi with Bertrand, I've just had one corps commander called "Bertrand". Similarly in the Mockern scenario, you can just have the French cavalry division commanders, but they must be reporting to someone and taking orders from someone. So, I've suggested a "corps" commander to do that and called that commander "Arrighi" for convenience. Of course, you could have called that corps commander "Ney" who was the overall sector commander if you prefer and just leave Arrighi out of all of the scenarios.

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Ok next try .

So at the fench convention in january 2013, we played twice the scenario . Both games were very different but reached same results : the French right flank gave in and Marmont had to order a general retreat .
On both day, the French , Prussian and Russian (myself ) generals were the same . On day one, the right french flank was under the command of an inexperienced player . On day two, the French CIC took command of both flanks .
The table was 240 cm wide which had some effect on the battle . The Russians being able to slip on the left of klein widderitzsch (left from their point of view ) .
We agreed that the Russian reserve corps would arrive on table one turn after the French 9th division if it had not entered before . in both games the Russian corps arrived at the same tie as the feench 9th division …call it luck !
Day one : Marmont deployed his best units in the front facing the prussians, all artillery deployed . the Prussians tried to go for it and the heavy artillery was pounding Mockern were some French conscripts were waiting . Mockern held and the Prussian infantry was stopped by the fench artillery .
A few Prussian units , some cavalry and a unit of infantry, went for widderitzsch but the infantry was routed by the astonishing polish brigade and her general . After that defeat the Prussians were halted. The polish went on and routed the Russian veteran jaeger brigade .
However Korff’s corps and the rest of Kapzevich infantry corps did not remain idle . Korff’s cavalry went for the French cavalry and managed to push it out of the way defeating every unit . A lucky russian dragoons charge decided the day has it routed the French dragoons without receiving a single hit . The French flank was turned and Kapzevitch followed with some infantry .
The glorious polish infantry was now faced by too many Russian guns and 2 units of infantry . they decided it was time to go .
Delmas 9th division arrived as reinforcement but at the same time, the russian IXth corps arrived as well . Delmas was isolated and the lucky Russians managed to quickly rout a French brigade and some nearby Cossacks were considered a threat ..so the French decided to try to slip away as well ..
The prussians were stopped but the russians had managed to turn the French flank in force . That day they did it mostly thanks to the inexperience of the general in charge of that front .
Day two :a change of allied plan . The Prussians would concentrate the heavy artillery against the poles and Grosse Widderitzsch . That was the only consensus . The Russians also had some good luck and this time managed all the double moves so quickly got near Grosse Widderitzsch . The French depoyed as the first day with the conscripts in reserve and that would prove to be a big mistake .
The Prussians did not assault Mockern at all and fired a few shots keeping at long range of the French artillery . On that front it would be all .
The Russians decided to useall his artillery against the numerous French and polish cavalry and go for Grosse Widderitzsch with the veteran jaegers and some infantry .
The French cavalry decided to retreat leaving a clear way to Grosse Widderitzsch . the polish unit facing numerous fire from the Prussian heavy battery and the 2 russian brigades did quickly rout ( firing at less than 2 MU ). A little time before, the fench had retired the polish lancers from the russian front and sent them to confront the Prussian cavalry but versus the Prussian dragoons it was a lost cause . So the Russians entered Grosse Widderitzsch while Korff’s cavalry was rushing to turn the fench position .
Marmont decided to reinforce his right flank but got into trouble, his conscripts failing the CMT to cross the small river , even with an exasperated general taking personnal command of the units . So the fench lost time and the allies advanced .
The fench 9thdivision arrived at that time and found out that a Russian corps had also arrived to confront it .
Marmont decided to retreat …
So we had fun (on both sides ) . But we found out that the large french batteries could easily stop the prussian assaults …even the advance . On the fench side, the cavalry will need a very skillfull or lucky management .
The prussian divisions are very small indeed and nothing oblige the Prussians to take Mockern . historically, they wanted to link with the Austrian corps on the other side of the river . What we would suggest is combining the divisions and taking the Prussian artillery out of the divisions so the Prussian would have more batteries and be able to try to silence the French batteries as did happen historically . The prussians did indeed organize their artillery in batteries to bombard the french ones.
We would also suggest that Mockern should be a mandatory objective for the prussians and that the Russian reserve corps should enter one turn after the french 9th division .
We plan to replay the game at Ghent, wargame convention XXV on the 30th of march so if you want us to try any changes we might do it .

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 pm

bahdahbum,

Thanks for that feedback. I have looked at a different structure for the Prussian Corps (i.e., combining the divisions). I will also consider some other things such as a greater chance the stream is easily crossed; replacing Arrighi (who wasn't there as you pointed out) with Ney (charismatic) as sector commander; delaying the use of all Russian forces; re-look at the use of the French artillery (more artillery batteries deployed with the brigades); having 2 small Polish infantry units instead of one and re-considering the Russian command and control.

It shouldn't take too long and I'll post my suggestions. I would like the focus to be the Prussians versus Mockern.

Note: In Trailape's game the French win but they used far fewer Russian troops (i.e., 4 versus 6 infantry, 9 versus artillery bases).

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 am

bahdahbum wrote:I think that without Arrighi it will still work OK . The cavalry being commanded by divisionnal officers ( and good ones ) . In the army lists books Fournier is Charismatic as well ...
I used the name "Fournier" out of convenience to represent the commander of the combined divisions of Fournier and Defrance. Defrance's division was the larger of the two, so the division commander's level should reflect "Defrance". I've changed the OOB so that the "division" commander's name to "Defrance" and have identified the brigade commander as "Fournier". If it makes a difference to people, Fournier MUST be attached to the light cavalry (hussar) unit but I prefer to give the player the option.

Also, I've taken out Arrighi and added Ney with the optional (i.e., up to the players) ability to allocate command points to Marmont.

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 am

Note: In Trailape's game the French win but they used far fewer Russian troops (i.e., 4 versus 6 infantry, 9 versus artillery bases).
In our game,the allies did win before the arrival of the french reinforcements . The russian were there in force so should be there in force . But only one corps at the beginning and the other around 4 PM . Historically they were sent to counter the arrival of the "massive colum" .. :D

The russians were perhaps a bit slow at the beginning but all their generals are only "competent" so rushing forward is not an easy task ( unless as in my second game you succeed with all CMTs :D )

During the first game the russians were slow to put some pressure .

I do not see why Ney or Arrighi should be used . The french cavalry was not under a centralised command but IMO Fournier is underrated . In the army lists he is considered skilled ou excellent AND charismatic ...which for me is good enough :-) .

For the polish infantry , I would keep one unit but rate it veteran . They lost the village around 3 PM and in our game routed only at 4 PM ....so resisted longuer but were definitly routed ans so could not couter-attack to retake the village .

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:44 am

bahdahbum wrote:
In our game,the allies did win before the arrival of the french reinforcements . The russian were there in force so should be there in force . But only one corps at the beginning and the other around 4 PM . Historically they were sent to counter the arrival of the "massive colum" .. :D

The russians were perhaps a bit slow at the beginning but all their generals are only "competent" so rushing forward is not an easy task ( unless as in my second game you succeed with all CMTs :D )

During the first game the russians were slow to put some pressure .

I do not see why Ney or Arrighi should be used . The french cavalry was not under a centralised command but IMO Fournier is underrated . In the army lists he is considered skilled ou excellent AND charismatic ...which for me is good enough :-) .

For the polish infantry , I would keep one unit but rate it veteran . They lost the village around 3 PM and in our game routed only at 4 PM ....so resisted longuer but were definitly routed ans so could not couter-attack to retake the village .
Thanks for all the feedback. It's not that I'm under rating Fournier, it's just that I've had to combine two divisions - Fournier's (588 troopers - i.e., 3.6 bases) with Defrance's (756 troopers - 4.6 bases). Since Fournier only commands one small unit, I think a "brigade commander" to represent Fournier is a perfectly reasonable solution (i.e. in the rules "some units may be led by additional officers or by an officer of outstanding ability. To represent this we use optional Brigade Commander attachments"). ETA: Correction - I was only looking at the strength of one of Fournier's brigades. Fournier had over 1,100 troopers at Mockern. Defrance's strength is only one brigade as well, but the other brigade was at Lindenau. So, I would represent the combined division by having Fournier as the division commander and Defrance as the "attached brigade".

By the way, you mentioned that Fournier is in the lists, but I can't find where. I thought he was in the lists too, but I've only been able to find Lasalle in the 1805-07 list.

As for re-doing the ORBATS I will likely adhere more closely to the actual Order of Battle when I do so. With the current ORBAT I tried to stay within the army list guidelines in ToN. With the redone ORBATS, I want to provide players with an artillery pool from which they can choose to concentrate artillery in "units" and/or distribute as "attachments" since I think this adds a lot of interest to a game.

As for Ney, I don't understand the rationale for excluding him. He was there and he was in command of the sector plus there is a provision for army or sector commanders at the back of the Army Lists book.

In terms of the cavalry divisions - Lorge's division was under Marmont's command; Fournier was under Souham's command (although Souham hadn't yet arrived yet) and Defrance under Betrand's command - although Defrance was left behind when Betrand went to help out at Lindenau. So, to be faithful to the actual ORBAT, Marmont should have his three infantry divisions, his corps cavalry plus Lorge. Independent divisions (detached from their corps) would be Dombrowski's Polish division and Defrance's cavalry division. So both Fournier and Delmas would be elements of Souham's corps. Regardless I would still put all of these divisions in a "virtual corps" structure. Of course, others may do as they please....and surely I cannot please everyone.
Last edited by shadowdragon on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 am

Fournier : TON , pg 48 "Fournier's division" . He is rated exceptionnal and charismatic .

Fournier was a legend . A really colorfull light horseman . Full of initiative, very capable but sometimes hot headed which led him to critisize Napoleon too much and so he got fired ..not once but 2 or 3 times ... .

Ney was present but seems to have divided his attention on 2 fronts never really getting involved . In another ruleset the solution was a die roll/turn to determine if Ney was available that turn or not .
Why not a CMT at the beginning of the turn and if successfull Ney is present that turn .

As for being closer to the "real" orbat, I agree with it . We must never forget that the army lists books are there for guidance and that real orbats represent the historical situation . The prussian did combine their cavalry and artillery to counter the french and so the last charge was successfull .

I am sure that with a bit of luck and the help of a french charismatic leader such as Fournier, the french can slow the russians down . But in real life, the polish had to retreat around 3 PM or 3 turns after the beginning of the scenario . They lost the village but came back to retake it .Finaly they had to retreat . St Priest corps was there and did engage the french ...it proved too much for the french .

The allies seem very powerfull but if Mockern is a mandatory target + Gross Widderitzsch , the allies will have to attack . Gross Widderitzsch will almost certainly fall but Mockern is another story .

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 pm

I received a few days ago Digby Smith book on Leipzig . We might have some interesting information about the russians at Mockern or more precisely at Wiederitzsch . The Xth corps did indeed assault the poles with the support of Rusewitch's cavalry division . The poles being repulsed , the IXth corps advances to Wiederitzsch with Korff's cavalry while the Xth corps pursues the poles with the help of more cavalry ( some dragoons and Jaegers ) . The timely arrival of Delmas division stops the pursuit and the IXth corps is redirected towards the new threat but in a defensive posture as Langeron believes it to be Napoleon and the main french army .

The autor cites the memoirs of a Major Ernst Moritz Arndt who, in the morning , was sent to Langeron and from langeron towards Lindeneau where St Priest , in command of the russian advanced guards , is - Arndt cites Langeron when he states that St Priest is in command - If we are to believe Arndt memoirs, the fight with the poles lasteted about 2 hours . At that time, an order from Blucher arrived , ordering the russian reserve artillery or 36 heavy guns, to deploy in order to help York's corps . So the russian heavy artillery was there and did engage the ennemy , or so it seems .
St Priest ordered Arndt to transmit the order which he did . Afterwards, the prussian cavalry did charge with some russian cavalry reserve ( from St Priest corps ? )

The author also cites a Graf Henkel von Donnemark who, speaking of the artillery fire before and during the charge , writes that " for even the russians under Langeron, who had previously deployed to our left, were happily firing into us . this error was quickly corrected" .

So St Priest was involved .

Now how to represent all this and the FOG of war that caused the russians to check their advance . Perhaps very simply by have all the russians infantry corps generals rolling a mandatory CMT if they want any part of their command to assault the french once the 9th division is on table . The sole exceptions would be Wiederitzsch and an area of 6 MU around the town + the entry roads of the russian reinforcements and an area of 6 MU near the roads + the deployement of the heavy artillery which should be used only to support the prussians or assaulting Wiederitzsch .

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:42 pm

bahdahbum wrote:Fournier : TON , pg 48 "Fournier's division" . He is rated exceptionnal and charismatic .
Oh, there it is. I knew it was there but missed it last night. Note that I am going with the option "if used as a single unit.....with an attached officer". I see no reason why Defrance's dragoons should get an exceptional charismatic leader since Defrance didn't seem to behave as such during the battle.
Ney was present but seems to have divided his attention on 2 fronts never really getting involved . In another ruleset the solution was a die roll/turn to determine if Ney was available that turn or not .
Why not a CMT at the beginning of the turn and if successfull Ney is present that turn .
Or one can make Ney a competent instead of a skilled commander.
As for being closer to the "real" orbat, I agree with it . We must never forget that the army lists books are there for guidance and that real orbats represent the historical situation.
I have not forgotten that but nonetheless I prefer, when creating a scenario to keep as close to the spirit of the lists as possible. "Real orbats" are more often than not post-event creations by historians. Still even if they are reasonably close to the "ground truth" the "real orbat" must be fitted into the game abstraction and that involves compromises of one sort or another. I have no reason to assume that the compromises acceptable to me would be acceptable to you....in fact, I rather suspect the opposite is true. :D
Last edited by shadowdragon on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:07 pm

bahdahbum wrote:I received a few days ago Digby Smith book on Leipzig . We might have some interesting information about the russians at Mockern or more precisely at Wiederitzsch . The Xth corps did indeed assault the poles with the support of Rusewitch's cavalry division . The poles being repulsed , the IXth corps advances to Wiederitzsch with Korff's cavalry while the Xth corps pursues the poles with the help of more cavalry ( some dragoons and Jaegers ) . The timely arrival of Delmas division stops the pursuit and the IXth corps is redirected towards the new threat but in a defensive posture as Langeron believes it to be Napoleon and the main french army .

The autor cites the memoirs of a Major Ernst Moritz Arndt who, in the morning , was sent to Langeron and from langeron towards Lindeneau where St Priest , in command of the russian advanced guards , is - Arndt cites Langeron when he states that St Priest is in command - If we are to believe Arndt memoirs, the fight with the poles lasteted about 2 hours . At that time, an order from Blucher arrived , ordering the russian reserve artillery or 36 heavy guns, to deploy in order to help York's corps . So the russian heavy artillery was there and did engage the ennemy , or so it seems .
St Priest ordered Arndt to transmit the order which he did . Afterwards, the prussian cavalry did charge with some russian cavalry reserve ( from St Priest corps ? )

The author also cites a Graf Henkel von Donnemark who, speaking of the artillery fire before and during the charge , writes that " for even the russians under Langeron, who had previously deployed to our left, were happily firing into us . this error was quickly corrected" .

So St Priest was involved .

Now how to represent all this and the FOG of war that caused the russians to check their advance . Perhaps very simply by have all the russians infantry corps generals rolling a mandatory CMT if they want any part of their command to assault the french once the 9th division is on table . The sole exceptions would be Wiederitzsch and an area of 6 MU around the town + the entry roads of the russian reinforcements and an area of 6 MU near the roads + the deployement of the heavy artillery which should be used only to support the prussians or assaulting Wiederitzsch .
There are Russian heavy guns in the scenario - 3 bases. I didn't include the the remaining 4 bases since I found a reference (the link is above) to Langeron using 80 guns in the final attack even though he had 110 guns with IX and X corps.

As for St. Priest (and his corps - keep in mind that St. Priest could be present while much of his corps is on the march), the original Napoleon's Battles scenario has St. Priest's corps arriving at 17:00 but it doesn't include that corps in the "table" (i.e., just Mockern) scenario. They are there, just not in the scenario....just like the imaginary Napoleon that Langeron thought was personally leading an attack against him.

Anyway, if you feel it necessary go ahead and add the extra 4 bases of artillery (X Corps) plus St. Priest's Corps (16 bases of infantry, 14 bases of cavalry and 6 bases of artillery) to your scenario.

The quote from the on-line reference:

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Leipz ... ey_marmont

Disregarding the massive advantage of the Allies, Dabrowski's 2nd and 4th Infantry Regiment marched out of Wiederitzsch and assaulted one of Langeron's divisions. Langeron immediately sent word to Blücher exaggerating Dabrowski's strength. In his memoirs the Russian general wrote that he had "believed Napoleon himself was attacking him". The Polish 4th Regiment was a tough unit, in Spain its 300 men held Fuengirola against 2.500 British and Spanish infantry supported by a British squadron "and finished the affair by chasing the landing force into the sea and bagging the British general and 5 guns."

Langeron pressed forward but it was a nervy situation and his artillery by mistake fired on Prussian battery. Langeron's infantry led by officers with drawn sabers entered Klein-Wiederitzsch but the Poles fought back with a grim determination. The 4th Regiment, outnumbered three to one, contested every inch of the ground that the Russians advanced. The attackers however pushed them out of the village. Five Russian cavalry regiments (Emmanuel's 3 dragoon and Witt's 2 Cossack) routed one Polish cavalry regiment, captured horse battery and took 500 prisoners. The remaining Polish regiment and some French cavalry counterattacked and drove the Russians across the Rietchke Stream. Dabrowski then rallied his 4 btns. and threw the Russians out of Wiederitzsch.

The fields between the two villages were heavy trafficked with attacking, fleeing and counter-attacking infantry. Langeron saw with his fieldglass some French troops marching from Duben to Leipzig. (these were 4.235 men of Delmas' 9th Division). Before Langeron reacted, Delmas and some cavalry struck the rear and flank of the Russians. This bold action was a great relief for the hard pressed Poles. Langeron awoke from the shock and sent Korf's cavalry corps and Olsufiev's infantry corps against Delmas.

Delmas and Dabrowski went on attack; Delmas stormed a small wood occupied by Russian 9th Division and took it, while Dabrowski entered Gross-Wiederitzsch at bayonet point and recaptured the village.
Dabrowski's 4 btns. marched out of Wiederitzsch, attacked Rudsevich's 6 btns., and threw them into confusion. The Russians reeled back to their positions near stream. In the fighting they lost commander of Staroskol Infantry Regiment (killed), GM Schenschin, Mjr. Yussofovich and many others. French batteries opened fire on them and inflicted more casualties.

GL Olsufiev and GM Udom decided to recapture the Birkenholz wood occupied by Delmas' infantry. There was Russian 9th Division against French 9th Division. Or 8 Russian against 12 French btns. The French 145th Line Infantry Regiment boldly marched out of the wood but was smashed by the Russians, lost many killed and wounded and its regimental eagle. The Russians pursued them and captured the wood. Following this failure GdD Delmas withdrew his division towards Plosen. Delmas' infantry was closely followed by GL Korff's dragoons and Cossacks. They monitored Delmas' movements for a while and then the Cossacks attacked and took "500 prisoners, 100 wagons and 6 guns."

Langeron rode to the Schusselburg Infantry Regiment (2 btns.), spoke few words to the soldiers and personally led them against the Poles. GL Rudsevich with regiment of horse jagers (2 sq.) marched nearby as a protection against any attack from Polish or French cavalry. Behind these troops marched a massive force of 16 btns. and rolled more than 80 guns. The decimated and exhausted Dabrowski's 4 btns. counter-attacked. This time however they were badly beaten back and pursued.
Nearby stood a small detachment of French infantry and this troop was broken by Russian artillery and pursued by infantry. Klein-Wiederitzsch was captured and Langeron informed Blucher about his success.

Note that IX and X Corps have 32 battalions of infantry. St. Priest's corps would add another 20 battalions.

Clearly if the Allies had put the full weight of their forces into the battle there would have been no or little contest as you'd be looking at a battle of 50,000 vs 30,000 (36,000 vs 24,000 infantry, 9,000 vs 5,000 cavalry and 250 vs 117 guns).

Return to “Historical Scenarios, Maps, and Orders of Battle (OOB)”