Polish List

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Polish List

Post by hazelbark »

I see the polish list claims they had no light infantry.

While it is true they had no separate light infantry units they did have Voltigeur in their regiments. I believe they used the same French company structure for a battalion.

I am talking the Polish Line units here, not the Vistula Legion which may not have had Voltigeurs. I haven't checked.

On that basis they should be allowed skirmisher attachments for the same reason a myriad other nations can have skirmisher attachments.
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Polish List

Post by edb1815 »

Aren't the integral voligeur companies reflected by the "Reformed" line infantry status? ie; battalions throwing out the light company in a skirmish screen whilst advancing in column, etc.?

Whereas the skirmish attachments represent extra skirmish companies from jaeger or rifle companies not integral to the battalion, or a light infantry battalion acting as a brigade screen.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Interesting to see the author reply. My view is if that were true then you'd basically see many, many fewer skirmisher attachments in general.

But i've been wrong before.
paulbg
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by paulbg »

I would agree with edb1815

My understanding is also that the REFORMED status included intrinsic light infantry.

Paul
terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys »

I see the polish list claims they had no light infantry.

While it is true they had no separate light infantry units they did have Voltigeur in their regiments. I believe they used the same French company structure for a battalion.
I'd certainly agree with that. The integral skirmishier companies is reflected in their "Reformed" status. (as stated by Paul).
Skirmisher attachments reflect the allocation of additional light infantry companies from other light infantry regmients. Since there weren't any regiments of light infantry in the Polish army they can't do this.
In many cases skirmisher attachments represent the assignment of a whole battalion of light infantry to a line regiment. This would often raise the size of the regiment to 'large', and we considered limiting skirmisher attachments in some armies to large units only, but in the end we felt that erosion of the strength of infantry regiments as a campaign wore on would largely negate this.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

terrys wrote:In many cases skirmisher attachments represent the assignment of a whole battalion of light infantry to a line regiment. This would often raise the size of the regiment to 'large', and we considered limiting skirmisher attachments in some armies to large units only, but in the end we felt that erosion of the strength of infantry regiments as a campaign wore on would largely negate this.

Your call. But I think then all the list are overly generous with skirmisher attachments. But I'll cease worrying.

Return to “Army Design”