Cohesion Tests

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Ranimiro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Ranimiro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:08 pm

NO bonus for poor, big BG because it makes games slower.

NO negative bonus for small superior-elite BG because it makes the game faster.

Maybe FoG2 should be: the player who can deploy more Knight-superior-hvyarmor-lance or hvy inf, superior, armored, impact foot - SSw automatically wins.

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by madaxeman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:24 pm

RichardThompson wrote:
I am trying to help skilled players who successfully concentrate their best troops against a weak point in their opponents line to achieve a rapid breakthrough.
If anything, the tactic of "concentrating your best troops" is I feel currently too easy for even relatively unskilled players to execute successfully in FoG relative to other possible tactics - for example Superior Knights (or armoured superior cavalry lancers in period) will go through most things put in front of them, never mind "weak points" and Swarm, and to a degree Skirmisher armies also show that many "skilled players" regard strategies based around engineering flank attacks, or shooting attrition as the only viable alternatives.

I would also hazard to suggest that the majority of suggestions currently being put forwards on the v2.0 forum are about giving "skilled" players more ways to make "average" (as in morale, armour, weapon choice) troops slightly more viable in frontal combat against better troops.
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Ranimiro wrote:NO bonus for poor, big BG because it makes games slower.

NO negative bonus for small superior-elite BG because it makes the game faster.

Maybe FoG2 should be: the player who can deploy more Knight-superior-hvyarmor-lance or hvy inf, superior, armored, impact foot - SSw automatically wins.
Well the Roman fans in the audience would be happy about that. At the moment Romans are hardly an all purpose killer army.

To be honest I am not really sure why you think what you do though. There is certainly not any pressure I can see to make small elite BGs more effective.

It may well be that some of the suggestions in this thread are flawed or at least appear flawed.

For FoG 2 many things will be considered but bear in mind that things that increase complexity will not be taken on board lightly unless they make for a more historical game.
As things stand there are people who say that there is little incentive for a BG of 6 over a BG of 4 but is that actually true? A BG of 4 will always be testing at -1 when it tsts from being shot at. A Bg of 4 that loses a base will always test at -1 and if it is shot at will have to test from a single hit. Both these 'problems' do not affect BGs of 6.

Knights are powerful but also very beatable.. There are IMO no troops in FoG at present that are streets ahead of any others, certainly when you consider the points cost.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”