Shifting from DBM

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Post by azrael86 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Fluffy wrote:
I agree, you need to focus on very different skills to do well at FoG
Which skills would you say I should focus on?
I'm guessing you didn't play anything older than DBM/DBA - if you did then fog works quite like 7th edition (or indeed 6th edition) - although obviously it has some major differences as well.

But you need to get away from element thinking and into battlegroup thinking.

If the exchange rate and income/cost is a major factor then maybe someone in SA should start making figures locally both for sale and export?

Fluffy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: South Africa

Post by Fluffy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 am

If the exchange rate and income/cost is a major factor then maybe someone in SA should start making figures locally both for sale and export?
If someone did we would like it, but wargaming is simply not big enough down here to make it worthwhile.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 10278
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:30 am
Location: LarryWorld

Post by nikgaukroger » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:47 am

hazelbark wrote: Colin has lots to be disagreed on, but has contributed a heroic amount.

However, I fear his current attitude may well lead to RSA being cut off from what the rest of the world is doing - I note that there appear to be no RSA players at the IWC for the first time ...
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

Fluffy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: South Africa

Post by Fluffy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:10 pm

nikgaukroger wrote:
hazelbark wrote: Colin has lots to be disagreed on, but has contributed a heroic amount.

However, I fear his current attitude may well lead to RSA being cut off from what the rest of the world is doing - I note that there appear to be no RSA players at the IWC for the first time ...
That's the main reason I got into FoG.

lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A
Posts: 1536
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Former British Empire

Post by lawrenceg » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:33 am

nikgaukroger wrote:
hazelbark wrote: Colin has lots to be disagreed on, but has contributed a heroic amount.

However, I fear his current attitude may well lead to RSA being cut off from what the rest of the world is doing - I note that there appear to be no RSA players at the IWC for the first time ...
This may be due to factors other than FOG as there is a DBM tournament at the IWC.
Lawrence Greaves

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 10278
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:30 am
Location: LarryWorld

Post by nikgaukroger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 am

lawrenceg wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:
hazelbark wrote: Colin has lots to be disagreed on, but has contributed a heroic amount.

However, I fear his current attitude may well lead to RSA being cut off from what the rest of the world is doing - I note that there appear to be no RSA players at the IWC for the first time ...
This may be due to factors other than FOG as there is a DBM tournament at the IWC.

There are no RSA players in that either - I did check before posting :D
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger
Posts: 3774
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Post by dave_r » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:50 am

nikgaukroger wrote:
lawrenceg wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:
However, I fear his current attitude may well lead to RSA being cut off from what the rest of the world is doing - I note that there appear to be no RSA players at the IWC for the first time ...
This may be due to factors other than FOG as there is a DBM tournament at the IWC.

There are no RSA players in that either - I did check before posting :D
I think that was Lawrence's point?
Evaluator of Supremacy

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2983
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:48 am

Post by grahambriggs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 am

nikgaukroger wrote:
lawrenceg wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:
However, I fear his current attitude may well lead to RSA being cut off from what the rest of the world is doing - I note that there appear to be no RSA players at the IWC for the first time ...
This may be due to factors other than FOG as there is a DBM tournament at the IWC.

There are no RSA players in that either - I did check before posting :D
There were in Athens last year. I suspect the lack this year has more to do with the difficulty and cost of getting between South Africa and Australasia. South African IWCs have had poor attendance from Australasia after all.

lonehorseman
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 pm
Location: Pretoria, South Africa

Post by lonehorseman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:32 pm

The main reason none are attending is the people who tried out for the team. 2 10th graders and one older wargamer who is , well lets say not the worlds best caretaker (for said kiddywinkles).

No Team = No RSA players due to the legislation. If we travel to represent RSA unofficially we can in fact get prosecuted, fined or jailed. Once you make a hobby a national 'Sport' it screws with things somewhat
15mm: Painted: Late Republican Roman
Medieval Welsh
WIP: Ivan the Terrible's Russians
Later Ottoman Turkish

will05
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Post by will05 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:47 pm

lonehorseman wrote:
No Team = No RSA players due to the legislation. If we travel to represent RSA unofficially we can in fact get prosecuted, fined or jailed. Once you make a hobby a national 'Sport' it screws with things somewhat
What!!!!! Wargaming is a national sport there???

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:53 pm
Location: Capital of the World !!

Post by hazelbark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:39 am

will05 wrote:
lonehorseman wrote:
No Team = No RSA players due to the legislation. If we travel to represent RSA unofficially we can in fact get prosecuted, fined or jailed. Once you make a hobby a national 'Sport' it screws with things somewhat
What!!!!! Wargaming is a national sport there???
Amazingly yes. And the rules boggle the mind of every other nation.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:53 pm
Location: Capital of the World !!

Post by hazelbark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:40 am

lonehorseman wrote:The main reason none are attending is the people who tried out for the team. 2 10th graders and one older wargamer who is , well lets say not the worlds best caretaker (for said kiddywinkles).

No Team = No RSA players due to the legislation. If we travel to represent RSA unofficially we can in fact get prosecuted, fined or jailed. Once you make a hobby a national 'Sport' it screws with things somewhat
Well 2 RSA people are now showing for DBM. As usual they havent had their lsits checked and didn't announce their armies until everyone else had theirs announced.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 10278
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:30 am
Location: LarryWorld

Post by nikgaukroger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:01 am

hazelbark wrote:
Well 2 RSA people are now showing for DBM. As usual they havent had their lsits checked and didn't announce their armies until everyone else had theirs announced.

Their lists have been checked. However, the whole submitting the lists very late stinks - some have gone as far as to say it is cheating :shock:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Posts: 8665
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Manchester

Post by philqw78 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:43 am

Hopefully some Scandinavian boy will spank them. And not in a way they enjoy.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 pm
Location: Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Post by Strategos69 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 am

hazelbark wrote:
will05 wrote:
lonehorseman wrote:
No Team = No RSA players due to the legislation. If we travel to represent RSA unofficially we can in fact get prosecuted, fined or jailed. Once you make a hobby a national 'Sport' it screws with things somewhat
What!!!!! Wargaming is a national sport there???
Amazingly yes. And the rules boggle the mind of every other nation.
I am still shocked by this!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Do you have to wear also official shirts with the name and number? That would be funny to implement for all tournaments. :lol:

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 10278
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:30 am
Location: LarryWorld

Post by nikgaukroger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:32 am

Strategos69 wrote:
Do you have to wear also official shirts with the name and number? That would be funny to implement for all tournaments. :lol:

Actually there is quite a tradition of teams having "official" shirts for comps like the ITC, and the GB touring party to the IWF in foreign countries used to do an official shirt.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

tamerlane
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:27 am

Post by tamerlane » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 am

nikgaukroger wrote:
hazelbark wrote:
Well 2 RSA people are now showing for DBM. As usual they havent had their lsits checked and didn't announce their armies until everyone else had theirs announced.

Their lists have been checked. However, the whole submitting the lists very late stinks - some have gone as far as to say it is cheating :shock:
It shouldn't matter what people say about it - but it is disappointing that the organisers have permitted it. If they want it to be a serious tournament they should refuse to accept entries on that basis.

lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A
Posts: 1536
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Former British Empire

Post by lawrenceg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 pm

tamerlane wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:
hazelbark wrote:
Well 2 RSA people are now showing for DBM. As usual they havent had their lsits checked and didn't announce their armies until everyone else had theirs announced.

Their lists have been checked. However, the whole submitting the lists very late stinks - some have gone as far as to say it is cheating :shock:
It shouldn't matter what people say about it - but it is disappointing that the organisers have permitted it. If they want it to be a serious tournament they should refuse to accept entries on that basis.
What they could do is require the players who intend to go through the RSA selection procedure to submit army lists by the same deadline as everyone else. They don't need to check them until the actual team is selected. Bonus points for getting a list in on time would provide an additional incentive. As I understand it, the RSA national rules require players to use the same lists that they used in the selection trials, so they must have been fixed some time before the point at which they were submitted to IWF. Whether that was before the R&R were published this time I don't know. As it is, Army lists received after 1 December 2010 will be made available to other players prior to the commencement of the relevant tournament, so this should mitigate any advantage gained by the late submission.
Lawrence Greaves

Fluffy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: South Africa

Post by Fluffy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Strategos69 wrote:
hazelbark wrote:
will05 wrote: What!!!!! Wargaming is a national sport there???
Amazingly yes. And the rules boggle the mind of every other nation.
I am still shocked by this!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Do you have to wear also official shirts with the name and number? That would be funny to implement for all tournaments. :lol:
Just to be clear, what lonehorseman means by National Sport is that wargaming receives recognition from our national sports committee,
so we can get some state funding and national colours.

No names, numbers or spectators.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:53 pm
Location: Capital of the World !!

Post by hazelbark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Strategos69 wrote: Do you have to wear also official shirts with the name and number?
Actually I do think they have a dress code of sorts while travelling to venue. Don't know if it law, regulation, or team spirit.

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”